Friends Warned Me About The Smell

Lounge By beachcakes Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 2:04am by Ladyofcake

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 25

What is up with pre-teen boys and the SMELL?? O..M..G...

A couple of months ago, a friend told me when DS hit 10, you'd know it. I thought, nah! you're in Florida & I'm up north! Must be the heat!

Those sneakers alone could gag a maggot! I Febreeze them twice a day!

He can't take his shoes off in the house unless he's immediately going in the shower and all the food is secure so the smell can't permeate it!

Any helpful advice?

24 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 25

lysol is your friend. Odor eaters for those sneakers, and any gym bags they carry, bury a drier sheet or two in the bottom of it. I also, sprinkle baking soda in there shoes to help absorbe the smell.

BTW: I have 2 boys (15 and 16) and the oldest has the worst smelling feet you never wanted near you. Also, if he will wear them, when its nice weather encourage sandles to let those feet breath. And no cheap plastic sneakers, that makes the smell even worse

dueter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dueter Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:00am
post #3 of 25

Avon has a foot odor powder that works well. I have also used the 'no vaccum' Carpet Fresh for pet odors. My boys' bedrooms are on the other end of the house and DH swears that one day he is cutting that end of the house off. icon_lol.gif He says it smells like feet and @$$. The dog won't even stay back there.

dueter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dueter Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:00am
post #4 of 25

Avon has a foot odor powder that works well. I have also used the 'no vaccum' Carpet Fresh for pet odors. My boys' bedrooms are on the other end of the house and DH swears that one day he is cutting that end of the house off. icon_lol.gif He says it smells like feet and @$$. The dog won't even stay back there.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:08am
post #5 of 25

I haven't heard of this. I have 3 boys, the eldest being 7. Are you serious?? This is what I have to look forward to???? greeeaaaat icon_rolleyes.gif My 4 year old already has some pretty stinky shoes icon_wink.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:48am
post #6 of 25

They may have athletes foot. I get it sometimes and it looks like a bit of flaky skin between my toes - it doesn't get red or itchy, it really looks very minor - but it does smell. I put a few drops of neat tea tree oil between my toes after a shower and it works a treat - all gone in a few days. Now I put it on once a week as a preventative thing.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dueter

DH swears that one day he is cutting that end of the house off. icon_lol.gif .

Sorry that I don't have any advice....but this thread made me laugh out loud! icon_lol.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 25

icon_eek.gif OMG! We have this same problem at my house. Only it is with my oldest daughter. She has to most disgusting, putrid, gag me, tapedshut.gificon_cry.gif , nasty @** feet in the world. When she comes home from school, the shoes stay outside, and she goes right to the bath to clean those nasty dogs. My son is 11 and his are gross too but she has that stinky corner covered all by herself. GROSS!!! Glad that it isn't only here in our house. icon_redface.gif I warn people when she gets home if I have company and almost want to pass out masks. icon_lol.gif

LaSombra Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 25

I have heard that if you rotate between 2 pairs of shoes each day, they won't get as stinky because they'll have a day to air out and dry...that might help.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 25

Nothing helps this girl. I think I would rather smell the air of the Dairy Farm up the road than her feet. icon_cry.gif

She uses super odor eaters. We buy shoes so often due to the stench. They make my eyes water somedays.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 25

I had smelly feet as a teen and we finally decided that wearing shoes of man-made materials and nylon stockings was the problem. Man-made materials didn't allow the moisture to escape. I switched to all leather shoes and wore tights with cotton in them instead of nylons. The problem was cured. I now wear leather shoes, cotton or wool socks and switch shoes so I don't wear the same shoes everyday to give them a chance to air out.

Recently, I bought a pair of cheap sports sandals and after a month I could smell them while wearing them. I thought it was my feet but my mother wore them at one point and decided it was the cheap shoes. I switched to a sandal with an anti-bacterial footbed and haven't had a problem with sandals since.

labrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labrat Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:40pm
post #12 of 25

Couldn't agree more: no man-made or synthetic products for the feet of my hubby or older DD!!!
They both have fully terry lined leather running shoes, and cotton socks. It's difficult to buy cotton dress socks for hubby sometimes, but I can tell within an hour if he puts on nylon socks. The shoes get Febreeze each weekend, or put into the washing machine. (Yes, I wash leather running shoes.)

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:03pm
post #13 of 25

Ok I have had a couple of feet issues so here goes:

1) never any cheap man-made material shoes........NONE

2) go to the doc........you can get a script for a lovely product (and my script was like a lifetime one) that is basically prescription strength deoderant) it keeps your feet dry and oh so much less smelly (I had a probably where my feet would sweat so much that the skin on the bottom would start falling off in spots cuase they were moist for too long.....this is when i went to the doc.

anyway the product you just roll on your feet (it takes a second to dry) and its amazing!!! Trust me its embarassing to have foot odor problems, I could even smell my feet in school with my shoes on!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 25

OMG, my 13 year old son had two friends stay the night last weekend and they were playing the PS2 in his bedroom for days......I opened the door to offer popcorn and darn near fell over from the stench!! Feet and farts were rampant - I told them to crack a window and Dear God, please don't play with fire or the place would go up like a stack of hay! icon_lol.gif

Now the ironic part is my 6 & 7 year old daughters have feet that smell so bad that they can be in the back of the house in their room and take off their shoes and a minute later I can smell it from the living room........it could peel paint.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:29am
post #15 of 25

LOL! You guys crack me up. My 10yo son's feet don't smell, but look out for his armpits! Yikes!! He thinks they smell like onions. Yah, rotten onions!! He's been wearing deodorant for two years now. Sheesh.

beachcakes Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 11:21pm
post #16 of 25

LMAO!!! I didn't get notification of responses and haven't been able to get on here in a few days! I'm glad to know it's not just at my house!!! I'll have to look into some of these ideas! Where would one find sneakers that aren't made of man-made materials?? Kids are so loyal to brands...even at 10 - gotta have DC skateboarding shoes! icon_wink.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:59am
post #17 of 25

Ewwww, now that I think about it I can remember choking on the stench of my little brother's foot odor!!! You just should NOT be able to smell someone's dirty socks from across the room! tapedshut.giftapedshut.gif

My two sons are 5 & 7 so I have a few years left... icon_biggrin.gif

Courtney

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:31am
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

LOL! You guys crack me up. My 10yo son's feet don't smell, but look out for his armpits! Yikes!! He thinks they smell like onions. Yah, rotten onions!! He's been wearing deodorant for two years now. Sheesh.

LOL! I think we have the same son. He is also ten and has also been wearing deodorant for years. Our nicknames for him are "pits" and "onions" and he thinks it's funny. He has gotten better since he has become girl crazy...already. icon_cry.gif

My eight year old son has terrible feet stench also. I had read somewhere to freeze the offending shoe to get rid of the smell. It does NOT work ladies.

Boys are so gross and I have four of them. icon_rolleyes.gif

LaSombra Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:36am
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

My eight year old son has terrible feet stench also. I had read somewhere to freeze the offending shoe to get rid of the smell. It does NOT work ladies.

ewww...I wouldn't want to put anything else in the freezer with those bombs in there! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:59am
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

ewww...I wouldn't want to put anything else in the freezer with those bombs in there! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Hey desperate times call for desperate measures. icon_lol.gif

beachcakes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:37pm
post #21 of 25

Oh my gosh!! Glad to know I'm not alone! Freezer? I'm afraid to try that one!!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:36pm
post #22 of 25

when my brother and i were teenagers, he had a real problem. first off, he refused to take a shower so my parents had to go in the bathroom and FORCE him.

and man, when he hadn't showered for a day, his armpits smelled like rotten chicken noodle soup. so gross! *gag*

my boys are 1 and 2, and you guys have me scared to death now.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:57pm
post #23 of 25

LOL... my boys are only 20 months and 4 months old, but if their father is any indication of how bad they will smell, I better invest in lots and lots of lysol and febreeze now!

I remember seeing Dr. Oz on Oprah and he told this lady to soak her feet in a tea bath to help with the smell. The tanic acid is supposed to dry out the feet so they don't sweat so much. It will discolor the foot a little but, hey, if it gets rid of the stinky feet, it's all good!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:45pm
post #24 of 25

discolored feet are nothin. you can always wear socks icon_wink.gif

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:04am
post #25 of 25

OMG you guys have got to stop - you're KILLING ME..!!!!!!!!
I am sitting here laughing so friekin' hard I am crying and gagging and laughing at the same time - EEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW so GROSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif
Thank GOD I have a daughter, thank GOD I have a daughter...
although, some of you mention they are just as bad!!!!
icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%