2 Layer Cakes.. Help Me!

Decorating By arose4me7305 Updated 15 Dec 2006 , 8:37pm by nglez09

arose4me7305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arose4me7305 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 7

Why is it that EVERY time I make a layered cake, i have problems. I do the bottom layer (flat bottom side UP!) then add my filling/icing, etc. Then when I put the top layer of cake on, it's almost like there's a huge gap where my filling is! My cake looks like an hour glass! How can i fix this? Yesterday i tried adding more filling around the outer edge of the bottom cake, but when I put the top layer on, the icing/filling oozed out of the sides. I'm so frustrated! icon_cry.gif

6 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 7

Are you leveling your cakes? If you are, both sides should be flat and rest nicely on each other.

mlehrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlehrich Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 7

Do you make a damn of BC around the outside and then put the filling inside that? That is what I usually do. It stops the oozing out and sees to keep it level. Just a suggestion. HOpe it helps

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 7

If I'm pictureing this correctly, I have always just filled that "waist line" in when I ice the sides. you just fill the dent in with a little extra iceing....I'm new to this so I could be mistaking what you are saying....

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 7

Do your pans have straight sides? I bought some pans before that had a slight taper to the sides. If you put both bottoms together this might cause the hourglass look.

Justenjoyingit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justenjoyingit Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 7

You said you put the flat side up do you mean the bottom of the cake or the the top you level? I put the bottom of the first layer down on the cakeboard put my filling on then put the top of the second layer (the one I leveled on top of the first layer so the bottom of the second layer is facing up, does that make sense (the top of both layers touch) that works for me.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 7

Hmm. . .

Well, you're supposed to flip the cake upside down after you cut off the hump. Then slice it through the middle and put the filling. Make sure you make a dam so that the filling does not pop out to make it look like an hour glass.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%