Will Royal Break Down On Buttercream?

Decorating By frankandcathy Updated 15 Dec 2006 , 9:26pm by nefgaby

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know if royal will break down on buttercream in just a few hours? I'm delivering a wedding cake at 4pm. The reception is at 7pm. I need to go ahead and decorate it (it's 1pm). The scrolls and piping are in black so I wanted to use royal so it wouldn't bleed into the buttercream.

Anyone know how long the royal will hold up on the buttercream? Or how long it would take it to start bleeding...if it is going to?

Thanks,
~C

6 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 7

mmm.... here is a BUMP for you!!
I did a cake with royal decs on fondant and it held up well, a good 6 hours. I also did some cupcakes with store bought RI decoratios and where placed on top of BC and it started to show signs of grease I would say within the first 4 hours... the pic is my photos, it is the pumpkin cupcakes. HTH

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 7

My basketweave cake had royal flowers on it. I guess it lasted for about 1 day total. The flowers got a little soft but they didn't bleed or slide off or anything.

ButtercreamCakeArtist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercreamCakeArtist Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 7

Hi. I made a wedding cake decorated all in BC. THen, I put ROYAL flowers on it. It looked just as good as it did about 12 hours before! I finished it up about 2 am...and at 2 or 2:30 pm, it was still just fine. It was my first time working with royal icing, and I did let the flowers dry before placing them on the cake...I didn't pipe directly onto the cake.

HTH...

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks guys. Now that I think about it, I'm more concerned about the bleeding than anything else. I think I'll tint the royal to a dark grey so it isn't completely saturated with color. I'm sure it will darken as it stands.

Thanks!
~C

SherriSenger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SherriSenger Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 7

I have put royal snowflakes on bc before. (There is a picture in my photos)The snowflakes were placed on the cake Friday afternoon and the party was Saturday afternoon. I had no problem with the snowflakes becoming soft.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankandcathy

Thanks guys. Now that I think about it, I'm more concerned about the bleeding than anything else. I think I'll tint the royal to a dark grey so it isn't completely saturated with color. I'm sure it will darken as it stands.

Thanks!
~C

I wish I could help... I've never had a problem with colors bleeding, maybe because I use Americolor??? I have no clue but in all my cake decorating experience this has never happend (ok, now a jinxed me icon_confused.gif )
and I've used some dark reds, black and gray.... Hope it turns out ok!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%