Substitute Heavy Cream For Milk

Decorating By heystopthatnow Updated 17 Dec 2006 , 5:24am by Zmama

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 18

what happens if you substitute heavy cream in place of milk, when making buttercream? Can you do that??? Will it make it stiffer and easier to decorate with??

17 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 18

I use heavy cream in my frosting and it's great! It pipes beautifully, very sharp, clean decorations. It tastes great too. You do need a little more cream than milk, but not much. How much depends on how stiff you want it to be.

You can also freeze any leftovers and it still tastes great. I hate it when I have to use something else.

So yes, you can substitute cream for milk. icon_biggrin.gif

Michele

SheepThrills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheepThrills Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 18

I use heavy cream in my frosting all the time. It gives the frosting a really nice flavor. It's very easy to use for decorating too.

HTH

Diane

Ray75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ray75 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 18

This good to know, think I'll try it next time! Thanx for the tip.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 18

how much more cream do you need when using it - if the recipes calls for 2 tablespoons of milk - should you use 3?

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 18

I use half and half.

moralna Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 18

. . . .as a side note, I also substitute heavy (whipping) cream when making instand puddings and it is terrific - it comes out like a mousse.

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

I use half and half.

what did you mean by half and half....did you mean you use half and half cream/milk or did you mean that you use 1 1/2 tbsp of cream and 1 1/2 tbsp of milk....please?

Sugarflowers Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 18

jelligirl, Half and Half is half cream and half whole milk. It's usually next to the cream in the dairy isle.

moralna, if you are using 2 Tbsp. of milk, then 1-2 Tbsp. extra of cream should do the trick.

My frosting recipe calls for 1/3 cup of cream. You can see the recipe on my website: www.thesugarfix.com. On the main page is a paragraph about my cookbook and a few recipes that are in the book.

Michele

moralna Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 18

Sugarflowers - your work is beautiful!!!!

Sugarflowers Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 18

Thank you, moralna. I especially like your Santa cake. The cake board is a really nice touch.

Michele

JeNetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeNetty Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 18

Sugarflowers - you are my HERO!!! Beautiful work!!! Thanks for the recipe - I'm going to try it this w/e.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 18

Sugarflowers has been my HERO for some time. She is just as great in person as on CC. Her heart is as big. Happy Holidays.

Sugarflowers Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by debiashwood

Sugarflowers has been my HERO for some time. She is just as great in person as on CC. Her heart is as big. Happy Holidays.

WOW! Thank you. What a wonderful thing to say. I have no idea what to say, your message really touched me. Thank you again.

Michele

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 3:51am
post #15 of 18

There's a wonderful bc recipe using heavy cream on the baking911.com website, its called Tami's buttercream. I use it all the time and everyone loves it.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 4:08am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vww104

There's a wonderful bc recipe using heavy cream on the baking911.com website, its called Tami's buttercream. I use it all the time and everyone loves it.

I am still trying to find a great tasting buttercream. All the recipes I've tried either tastes too much like shortening or way to sweet icon_sad.gif . Also, since I'm new to decorating, I need a buttercream that smooths easily and pipes easily. How does Tami's buttercream compare to others you have tried?

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 3:07am
post #17 of 18

I love Tami's buttercream, its smooth and creamy and not too sweet, for a full batch I usually use 1 cup of heavy cream and if you want it to crust you must add meringue powder, I usually add 2-3 tbsp for the full batch. I also decorate with it but use less cream. Most people really like it. I'm going to try to add the link here, but if it doesn't work just go directly to the website, click recipes, icings, Tami's butter cream.

http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=864

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 5:24am
post #18 of 18

Okay, I tried this today, substituted half-n-half for the water in my bc. The flavor was great! BUT it came out closer to whipped cream, light and airy more than I would have liked, and was too something - not sure what exactly but it wouldn't smooth right and left air pockets that would show up when I smoothed it and it wouldn't crust hardly at all, just a little after 45 minutes. No idea why, but it did not work for me. I'd suggest trying it on a practice before using on a customer cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%