? About Buttercream Icing

Decorating By hopesmith Updated 11 Oct 2007 , 7:56pm by Magda_MI

hopesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopesmith Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:15am
post #1 of 7

I've just starting using half butter and half crisco in my buttercream icing. I love the flavor but I've noticed that there are butter bits (for lack of better word) in the icing. What could be causing this? Am I not letting the butter set out long enough? Thanks so much!

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:10am
post #2 of 7

I have found that the butter needs to be softened and whipped first, or with the shortening to be sure it is well blended.

tabbiekat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabbiekat Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:28am
post #3 of 7

I recently started making the buttercream dream and was having that problem. I just made some the other day and I mixed the butter and shortening for several minutes. (longer then I was mixing it before) and it turned out fine. HTH

Tabitha

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:38am
post #4 of 7

I mix the butter first, alone, until it is almost white. It takes a while, but on a higher speed it gets there soon enough. THEN I add the shortening, and beat them both until smooth, THEN add the powd. sugar and other stuff.

Hope that helps!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:03am
post #5 of 7

Yes, I would think mixing it longer would take care of the problem! I, on the other hand, add my butter last! I cream the shortening with all flavor extracts first, then add all of sugar and liquid and mix for a few minutes until nearly fluffy. Then while the mixer is running, add my butter in pieces and mix for add'l 5-8 minutes until light and fluffy!

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:32am
post #6 of 7

It probably does mean your butter could be softer but if you mix it well enough it will take care of the problem. I always microwave til soft not melted (too impatient to wait) then mix it with shortening and flavorings til its smooth.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 7

I agree, I'd mix the butter and shortening longer.

Personally, I put in the butter, shortening, and flavoring and then let that mix for several minutes on low speed before adding anything else.
And I do use butter that's at room temperature (I try to set it out at least an hour before I need it, since it's too easy to partially melt it in the microwave).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%