Basketweave Question

Decorating By GHOST_USER_NAME Updated 8 Feb 2005 , 4:43pm by thecakemaker

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Feb 2005 , 4:16am
post #1 of 8

When decorating a cake with a basketweave tip, do you apply the basketweave over a fully iced cake, a crumb-coated cake, or an uniced cake? The more I think about this the more confused I get. Help please!

7 replies
Skylar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skylar Posted 8 Feb 2005 , 4:43am
post #2 of 8

Hi! When I use basketweave on my cakes, I fully ice the cake with buttercream. You don't have to worry about smoothing it really well where the basketweave will cover. icon_smile.gif

Caligrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caligrl Posted 8 Feb 2005 , 5:53am
post #3 of 8

I went to Wilton cake decorating classes at my local craft store and I was taught to ice the top like a regular cake and just crumb coat the sides or whatever area you planned to use the basketweave method on. I think you should crumb coat at least, just to keep any stubborn crumbs from surfacing. If you completely ice the cake it might be a lot of icing but that's your preference. Hope this helps.
Amy icon_smile.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Feb 2005 , 6:17am
post #4 of 8

Well, it depends on what you want to call it. I do a thicker crumb coat or a thinner base coat... you know, similar to is your glass half empty or half full?

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Feb 2005 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks everyone. I think I'll do a slightly thicker crumb coat on the sides where I plan to decorate with the basketweave design; that seems right for my personal preference (I don't like a lot of icing). I appreciate your quick responses.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 8 Feb 2005 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 8

you want to at least crumb coat to seal your cake. i've even done a basketweave over fondant so what wasn't covered with basketweave was fondant smooth.

Debbie

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Feb 2005 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 8

Hey, that's a great idea about the fondant Debbie. Thanks!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 8 Feb 2005 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 8

welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%