Does Anyone Use....

Lounge By cakescraps Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 3:08pm by cakescraps

cakescraps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakescraps Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:00am
post #1 of 7

the Mirena IUD? I've had mine a little over amonth and am curious how things leveled out for other people.

6 replies
Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:46am
post #2 of 7

I want it. But insurance doesn't cover it. And I don't have $900 lying around to purchase it.

A friend of mine has it and things do take some time to level out. At least they did for her. I think by the 3rd month things were better.

GL!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:06am
post #3 of 7

I've had it for a little over a year. The first couple months I had some mild cramping, but within a few months, all symptoms were gone and I haven't had a period (beyond very faint spotting on occasion) since...I LOVE it! Would never know it's there now.

Erica, if you check out their website, I think they do have a monthly payment plan if your insurance plan doesn't cover it. I was lucky that my insurance did cover it, but even if not, I love it so much that it would be worth every penny. If the payment plan is reasonable (and from what I recall, it is), it ends up being far cheaper than other BC options because it's good for 5 years.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 7

I have it. Now, I got it while my youngest was about 3 months and still nursing, so I had not yet returned to my regular cycle. With that being said, I've now had it for over a year and a half and I've only had one period (about 14 months after getting it) that lasted about 5 days. Not as crampy as before, no where near as heavy. Haven't had another one since then. Don't want to get to graphic, but...I occassionaly spot without cramping. It's very light...so light that by the time I notice it's over and when I put on a pad it's always clean (sorry to be graphic, just trying to be real). I like having it A LOT and will continue to use it as my choice of birth control.

cakescraps Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 7

thanks for sharing, everybody!

So far, so good for me. I've had one period which was longer than normal, but very light. I'm anxious to see what happens next time. I've noticed that I am not nearly as cranky all the time. Maybe that's just a coincidence.... icon_wink.gif Dh agrees, though.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 7

being as the topic is up for discussion I hope you don't mind if I ask, as Ive been considering an IUD

how is it implanted and is it easy to remove??
I ask because Im 26 and hormonal birth control really screws w/ my body - ive tried half a dozen different kinds and they all mess me up.

however I want the ability to get off it in a relatively short amount of time if I do get married and we want to have kids- without having to have some sort of surgical procedure.

sorry for hijacking ur thread

cakescraps Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 7

It was put in in my doctor's office. Took about 2 minutes. A moderate cramp as it went in, al little spotting, that was it. It's removed the same way. Not much different than a pap.

It does contain a VERY low level of estrogen, and for a good percentage of users greatly reduces or even stops your period. I've always had trouble with other hormonal based methods causng horrible headaches. Not with this, so far. I did get a touch of one the first day of my period, only last a few hours, not days agony like before. I don't feel like I am having any of the other side effects I would normally get from the pill, either.

I'm done having kids myself, but from what I read, and what my doctor told me, the results are good for conceiving after it's taken out. About the same time frame as the pill.

It can be a little more difficult to insert for people who have not had a baby previously. The cervix hasn't "relaxed"

But so far so good for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%