Fair Theme

Decorating By thecakemaker Updated 22 Aug 2005 , 2:27pm by thecakemaker

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 22

Hi all! I will be entering a cake in the MD State Fair. It has to be in the theme of the fair. What comes to mind when I think of the fair is the black eyed susan, ferris wheel, horse racing and carousel. I'd like to use as many of these ideas as possible but keep the cake easy to transport. I thought of doing a 3-d carousel but that just didn't do it for me. I though of a race track but needed more. It seems you can always see the main ferris wheel so maybe that will work. Has anyone seen a pattern for a 3-d ferris wheel anywhere? Thanks in advance for any ideas you have to offer.

Debbie

21 replies
KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 22

How about an oval cake with the outer edge being a race track around the cake and a 3-d carousel in the center? And I might sound a little dumb here...but what is a black eyed susan? I know of some people referring to a brown centered daisy as a " Brown-eyed Susan...but other than that I am lost.

thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 22

That's an idea - I can put the carousel or the ferris wheel in the middle. The black eyed susan is a daisey looking flower that is yellow with a brown center. It is MD's state flower. I could put on on the top of the carousel or the side of a ferris wheel.

Thanks!
Debbie

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 22

I have a carousel tier cake set .. has the little horses just like a carousel would .. not sure if you have the set .. just a suggestion that maybe you could add onto some how icon_smile.gif

thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 22

The only catch is that everything has to be edible except for the cake plate...
I was trying to think of how to support the top if I use a dome top and a smaller round for the carousel without using a support round or something!

Debbie

KayDay Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 22

Just my 2 cents worth ...but I think I would try to keep it all handmade for a fair cake..it is kind of a competition and I think most will judge on things like that.

thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 22

I agree. I tend to think big at first and work my way back to reality. I have soo many ideas I just need to weed through them and come up with a good configuration!

Debbie

thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 22

I'm leaning toward a race track with a ferris wheel in the middle. any suggestions on how to make a ferris wheel? if all else fails maybe an edible image on fondant...

KayDay Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 22

I was thinking will they let you at least use pillars? A race track around a cake then a patch of the flowers in the center or all around the inside track area then a tier set up with a carousel or ferris wheel on it...raised in the center? on another cake maybe?

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 22

Sounds like a need for candy clay or fondant to me!

jjandascog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandascog Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 7:14am
post #11 of 22

I think a ferris wheel would be cute made of chocolate covered pretzel rods and sticks of different sizes. I know Snyder's brand has several different sizes to choose from. The center point on the sides of the ferris wheel could be a black-eyed Susan. If you did the race track around the cake, you could put galloping carousel horses on the track. Maybe you could somehow form the horses out of fondant or candy clay and use bright colored chocolate pretzel sticks for the poles with a chocolate base and then paint the horses with bright colors. Maybe put cascades of black-eyed Susans on the 4 corners of the cake. A ticket booth might be cute or a snack stand... That all sounds like a lot of work but it's such a cute idea for a cake.

thecakemaker Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 12:24pm
post #12 of 22

So many great ideas! Thanks! I hadn't thought of using pretzel rods - i'll have to think about that one!

Thanks again!
Debbie

KayDay Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 6:35pm
post #13 of 22

I really like the idea of having the center of the ferris wheel being a flower, I love all the input we get here!

thecakemaker Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 22

Me too! The flower and the input!

Debbie

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 6:55pm
post #15 of 22

You could do the oval cake like the race track, and make the carousel horses running around the track (like in Mary Poppins). Then put the black-eyed Susans in the middle of the track, and (if you dowelled it really really well) you could turn an 8 or maybe 6" round cake on its side to make the ferris wheel in the very center of the flowers. That way you have all your elements combined.

thecakemaker Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 7:05pm
post #16 of 22

That's a neat idea! I was thinking of the horses on the track with the ferriswheel in the background but I hadn't thought of putting the ferris wheel on another cake! I'll have to read the rules real good to make sure I can even dowel the cake.

Thanks!
Debbie

KayDay Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 7:57pm
post #17 of 22

Thats an AWESOME idea misdawn! Now I want to do this cake...hehe. I was trying to think of something you could use for a ferris wheel that was edible.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 8:47pm
post #18 of 22

The hardest part would be making the round cake stand up right without falling apart. It would probably take quite a bit of dowelling.

KayDay Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 12:07am
post #19 of 22

If you made a 6 in. I think it would be easier...the smaller the better...also if you made the ferris wheel out of pound cake or some other dense cake...or maybe something kinda rubbery like an angelfood cake? i think it would work great

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 12:27am
post #20 of 22

can't wait to see the pics when this is finished

thecakemaker Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 2:52pm
post #21 of 22

I posted earlier but it's not showing up - anyhow -

I found a pic of a ferris wheel that i can use to make an edible image. If anyone else finds a good ferris wheel pic can you send it to me? I'm looking for a full or almost full side view without a lot of clutter in the background or foreground.

Thanks!
Debbie

thecakemaker Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 2:27pm
post #22 of 22

My cakes are done! All three! I made the State Fair cake, Bridal Shower cake and Baby shower cake. My son made a decorated chocolate chip cookie. I can't wait to post pictures but I want to wait until they are delivered at least!

Thanks for all of your input, suggestions and ideas! I was pleased at how they turned out!

Debbie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%