Faux Fondant

Decorating By deb12g Updated 7 Sep 2014 , 3:17am by bakermeister

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 14

Have any of you every worked with it? I found the recipe on CC, but haven't tried it. Would like to know pros & cons, & how it compares to buttercream & fondant.

13 replies
sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 14

Faux fondant is buttercream. Faux fondant is actually a tecnique to make buttercream look like fondant. If this isn't what you're talking about, maybe you're talking about marshmallow fondant? I've done the faux fondant tecnique, and it works well. I've never worked w/ MMF before, though. HTH!

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 14

Does it look as smooth as fondant?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 14

Well, here is a Faux Fondant I did in Italian meringue buttercream. Is it smooth? Yes. Does it look like fondant? Debateable. I spent 2 hours icing this one little 6" cake.
LL

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 14

I think if you practice enough it would look just like fondant. If you look at Squirrley Cakes' cakes, her's look just like fondant, they are AMAZINGLY smooth!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 14

It is different when you "tare" it you can repair it. You can't with Fondant. It does stretch more also. So be carefull when putting on the cake. Where with fondant you want it to go below the cake you want the cake flat on the table so that BC fondant wont stretch off the cake. HTH

ShirleyW Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by debiashwood

It is different when you "tare" it you can repair it. You can't with Fondant. It does stretch more also. So be carefull when putting on the cake. Where with fondant you want it to go below the cake you want the cake flat on the table so that BC fondant wont stretch off the cake. HTH

I wonder if you are thinking of rolled buttercream? Faux Fondant means Fake Fondant, it is a way of icing with buttercream to resemble rolled fondant.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 14

I tried it once and did not like the technique. I need to practice more!

ahmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahmommy Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 14

I was wondering how the rolled buttercream tastes. I have only used fondant a couple times, Wilton's once and MMF twice, and I hate the taste of Wilton's. I do like the taste of MMF seperate from the cake, but not with the cake, you know what I mean????? Does rolled BC taste good or not, and if so, is it too hard to work with???????????

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 1:35am
post #10 of 14

Rolled bc is super sweet - kids loved it, I hated it. HTH

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 2:23am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Well, here is a Faux Fondant I did in Italian meringue buttercream. Is it smooth? Yes. Does it look like fondant? Debateable. I spent 2 hours icing this one little 6" cake.

How long does Italian Meringue Butttercream last? Can it be frozen and rewhipped? I'm thinking of trying it, but ussually never need an entire recipe.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 2:29am
post #12 of 14

IMBC needs to be in a cool place (fridge). Any leftovers can be frozen and when thawed rewhipped. HTH>

ShirleyW Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 3:27am
post #13 of 14

I make a full recipe for a 10" cake. That is enough for the dam, crumb coat, final icing and border. But not filling, I generally fill with Bavarian type fillings. Any leftover icing I freeze in small Glad Ware containers, thaw in the fridge and then bring to room temp. If there is just a small amount I don't rebeat it, I just stir it well once it is at room temp. and use it for piping the dam, etc. If there is a large enough amount leftover to use as icing on the cake I would rebeat till fluffy. It keeps in the freezer for several months.

bakermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermeister Posted 7 Sep 2014 , 3:17am
post #14 of 14

AThanks for all the tips! Do you have a recipe to pass along for the faux fondant that all of you have used? Thanks, Bakermeister! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%