I Need Six Figures.

Business By dontwalkaroundthebush Updated 15 Dec 2006 , 5:58am by Heath

dontwalkaroundthebush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dontwalkaroundthebush Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 31

Is it possible to make six figures from a cake shop? Like a bakery?

Do any of you (or anyone you know) make a good living off of this?

If you don't want to post on here, you can PM.

THanks!

30 replies
dontwalkaroundthebush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dontwalkaroundthebush Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 31

ANyone? Pleeze?

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 31

The only people that I know that probably clear six figures are Collette Peters, Duff Goldman, etc. Us normal people probably do good to clear five figures.
Leslie

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 31

Yes it will be alot of work.

Lora

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 31

ok, I have to ask.... what exactly is "six figures"?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 31

It's an income in excess of $100,000 per year. Six numbers, see?

Unless you're Collette or Toba Garrett...I doubt it. You'd have to have a reputation to back up your high prices. Us normal people charging $3-$6/serving for wedding cakes are not going to clear anywhere near that much. There are only so many hours in the day.

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 31

But, wouldn't it be wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mypastrychef Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 12:30am
post #8 of 31

My sales are 6 figures and it is a lot of work. A lot of tiered and sculpted cakes that make up those $$. And there is only me and my assistant, who bakes everything and then helps me.

You can not charge grocery store prices and think you can make custom cakes and make money at it.

You have to train people and show them why your cakes are valuable. Of course you need to be at an advanced decorating level to get these prices.

Alot of times the consumer is educated to the prices. And with the internet they can search websites of decorators and compare value. And they will be able to easily see the difference between a collette cake and a decorator with beginners talents.
So what I'm saying is if you can't get these prices maybe you need to do cake decorating homework and get more experienced.
Have the best cake business in town!!!
Lora

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 12:41am
post #9 of 31

And notice that mypastrychef said her SALES are 6 figures, not her income. It takes a LOT of work to get to that level!!!

Good luck to anyone that does it! icon_smile.gif I think it's wonderful enough to just love what I do, unlike w/ housework... icon_smile.gif

mypastrychef Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 12:44am
post #10 of 31

The only people that I know that probably clear six figures are Colette Peters, Duff Goldman, etc. Us normal people probably do good to clear five figures.
Leslie

I asked Collette about her income and she told me it is not as much as people think. She said she does about 7 cakes a week and her cakes start at $800.
Which is good money! SHe also has high overhead. Her shop is 1200sf. How much does it cost for rent in NY? And she has employees who I guarantee you ain't working for $12 hr

I know there alot of shops making 6 figures.
Lora

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 1:09am
post #11 of 31

Very informative post!

I think one could get six figures INCOME but it'd take a lot of hard work and perserverence and whit as well, I believe.

When you guys say "good clear five figures" do you mean up in the 60's? icon_confused.gif

mypastrychef Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 2:28am
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

And notice that mypastrychef said her SALES are 6 figures, not her income.

Oh! You're right my actual take home is not 6 figures.

Lora

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 3:00am
post #13 of 31

you almost have to have sales in 6 figures to pay the overhead.

i've had some weeks i've worked my booty off just to pay everyone else.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 3:11am
post #14 of 31

Very informative, thanks everybody for sharing!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 3:13am
post #15 of 31

HA!!!

I'll be grateful to clear a single dollar! I don't think I have yet.

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 3:29am
post #16 of 31

I'm sure Colette Peters gets a lot more money on the royalty of her books than just making cakes alone!

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 3:32am
post #17 of 31

mypastrychef - I just looked at your website. It is very nicely done!!

Your work is beautiful.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 3:38am
post #18 of 31

I'm with Karateka. I'd be happy to clear $1.00. I love to bake; decorating is just a bonus.

mypastrychef Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:22am
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoliveira

mypastrychef - I just looked at your website. It is very nicely done!!

Your work is beautiful.

How sweet thank you aoliveira.

Lora

mypastrychef Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:27am
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi5

I'm sure gets a lot more money on the royalty of her books than just making cakes alone!

She also addressed the money on the books and said that really wasn't much.

You have to sell many books to make money on them. My husband is writing a book and we have found out that he could make 30k to 100k unless it is a top seller, like top ten. A cake decorating book will reach a limited market. Where a love story or thriller would sell many more.

I was surprised at her answers, unless she is downplaying her income.

Lora

mariecar6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariecar6 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:50am
post #21 of 31

I'm in the same league as Karateca and Dl5crew.

Money just isn't attracted to me!

Marie

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:53am
post #22 of 31

I would guess she is probably downplaying it a bit-ya gotta keep some things close to the vest! icon_lol.gif Plus it's always nicer to talk to someone who is down to earth and not showboatin'!! heehee.

She also would have income from personal appearances, classes, etc. Bottom line I'm guessing she's still busting her bottom just like all of us! icon_biggrin.gif

mypastrychef Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 5:00am
post #23 of 31

Some people will understand my thoughts and others will have no idea just how deep this comment is going to be, but here it goes...

I probably could have a 6 figure income if there weren't so many unlicensed decorators in my area stealing business from me and other ligitimate shops who pay taxes and spend thousands and thousands to get licensed, pay for advertising, taxes and all the other costs of running a business.
It is very sad for me to watch people try their hand at opening/operating a business ligitimately only to have that dream stole by people who only do it on the weekend and have other incomes to support their families. Business owners generally give it their all and quit their jobs expecting to have all their needs met by this new venture.

I really don't think people understand the depth of what they are doing.
For fun and family and friends is completely different than running a real all or nothing shop.
I'm sure I'll get cursed, but remember this "IS" posted on the business forum.

thanks for letting me share
Lora

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 5:15am
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi5

I'm sure gets a lot more money on the royalty of her books than just making cakes alone!

It depends on what type of deal you sign when you get your book published. I have heard of writers that are getting like 1.35 from each book that sells.

Unbelievable I know...the best way to make a profit is to publish your own books and that also takes money.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 5:39am
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypastrychef

Some people will understand my thoughts and others will have no idea just how deep this comment is going to be, but here it goes...

I probably could have a 6 figure income if there weren't so many unlicensed decorators in my area stealing business from me and other ligitimate shops who pay taxes and spend thousands and thousands to get licensed, pay for advertising, taxes and all the other costs of running a business.
It is very sad for me to watch people try their hand at opening/operating a business ligitimately only to have that dream stole by people who only do it on the weekend and have other incomes to support their families. Business owners generally give it their all and quit their jobs expecting to have all their needs met by this new venture.

I really don't think people understand the depth of what they are doing.
For fun and family and friends is completely different than running a real all or nothing shop.
I'm sure I'll get cursed, but remember this "IS" posted on the business forum.

thanks for letting me share
Lora

I am going to back you up 100% in this post, even if at the cost of ruffling some feathers..

I find that SOME of biggest hypocrites with this are the so called CHRISTIANS ( not all, and I do NOT have ANYTHING RELIGION!!)..you can see most of them by their avitar or signature...quoting bible script or religious dogma...

Yet... some of these self same people can find it so easy to take the food out of MY children's mouth...

By breaking the LAW...if a home based food busines is NOT allowed in the state they live in....and not declaring the income that you make from your "HOBBY" is TAX EVASION.....CHEATING ON YOUR TAXES!!!! I'm sure that a LOT of SAHB, do NOT declare the income they bring in. ( If you are one of the few that does declare this extra income...these comments are NOT meant for you! and GOOD FOR YOU!! a step in the right direction!!)

Remember, they couldn't bust Al Capone for any of the crimes he commited, they jailed him on TAX EVASSION!! icon_eek.gif

Yet, these are some of the same LIARS and CHEATS can go to church and not feel any guilt!! These same liars and cheat ....have a problem with the types of cakes that I do.

I would've LOVED to open up a beautiful Birthday and Wedding shop, but unfortunately there are TOO many SAHB selling cakes at such low prices that I cannot compete!!

I know that when I first started almost 30 years ago, I was a single mom with a dead beat baby daddy. I ONLY did cakes for friends and family and friends of family. I never advertised and just did it to make a few extra dollars...30 years ago if I put 50 dollars in my pocket from doing my cakes I was happy!

When I finally bought my house, I bought it in a state that allowed me to have a home based food business. I spent about 15 thousand to convert the space and my income was enough to pay for the 2nd mortgage that I took out to do this.

As I got busier, I moved my business out of my home and into a storefront. Which I closed when I came to Florida in '99.

I turned down sooooo many cakes and wedding cakes that were refered to me by the chefs at school because I was NOT a lic baker and had no access to a commercial kitchen....

but....yet.....I get nasty PM's about my former avitar...or about the cakes that I do....and even a couple for starting the secret santa thing....

I am LIC. INSPECTED and INSURED. I have my SANITATION CERTIFICATE...a CERTIFICATION in BREAD AND BAKING and an ASSOCIATE DEGREE IN BAKING AND PASTRY and 30 years doing what I do....yet I have to cut my prices because some STAY AT HOME BAKER...will undercut my prices and take jobs that rightly belong to someone like me...( a lic. baker ) and then find they are in hot water because they have bitten off more than they can chew. icon_surprised.gif

So, my opinion is NOT the popular one, that's ok...so I get some people angry...that's ok too...

but...I've decided....mess with my money....and I'll have to mess wid 'cha!...lol icon_lol.gif

Coz I too would like a 6 figure income!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

( My advance apologies for sounding so bitter about this, but someone that does this from the comfort of home, without a large overhead just doesn't understand my position icon_cry.gif )

kelleym Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 5:43am
post #26 of 31

Not again? Please? It's not even on topic.

nglez09 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 5:50am
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Not again? Please? It's not even on topic.

Sure it is. It's an explanation as to why so many licensed bakeries are not getting 6-figure salaries.

kelleym Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 5:53am
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

Sure it is. It's an explanation as to why so many licensed bakeries are not getting 6-figure salaries.

No, it's not. It's wild speculation. Can anyone prove they'd be making $100k if not for those darned home bakers?

This thread was started by the troll anyway. It wasn't a serious question to start with.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 5:57am
post #29 of 31

i just wanted to say that, i am (as you say overseas) an un-lisenced baker..but the difference between my situation and yours is that my local bakery actually referr people to me as they do not make specialty cakes because it was not worth their time and money to do this....

so just remember that there are lots of difference reasons why people bake from home. its not that we are all out to steal money from the lisenced bakeries and run you into the ground....

my cakes are just as good as anyone elses, and they probably cost as much if not more because i have to pay retail cost for my supplies not wholesale like most shops.... i do not offer cheaper cakes just because i do this from home....

thats my 2 cents worth....

kylie

nglez09 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 5:57am
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Quote:
Quote:

No, it's not. It's wild speculation. Can anyone prove they'd be making $100k if not for those darned home bakers?

This thread was started by the troll anyway. It wasn't a serious question to start with.

I think you could prove that, but unfortunately there aren't any researchers out there who really want to do a study on cake. thumbs_up.gif

That came out of the blue. . .and the inquiry sounds legitimate to me, not much trolling going on if you ask a legit. question.

JMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%