My First Wedding Cake- Have Some ??

Decorating By MandyE Updated 10 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm by MandyE

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, I'm nearing the wedding finally and I have a couple of question. We are putting fresh flowers (roses) on the top of the cake.

My first question is...is this a problem? I've read about fresh flowers and that some are toxic, etc. Are roses ok? Do I have the florist arrange them so I can just stick them in the top of the cake (basically I just want a small bouquet to stick in the top layer)? Can I just specify how big around I want it and make the florist do it? I've never arranged flowers in my life and apparently I won't have them until I show up to deliver/set up the cake.

Next, I'm planning on using ribbon around the bottom of each tier (and it will be cake on cake, no separation between tiers). The cakes will be iced in buttercream and I realize there could be a grease bleeding through issue here. Should I do just a white fondant piece around the bottom and then put the ribbon on that so I dont' have to worry about the ribbon changing color? If so, how do I attach the ribbon to the fondant? And do I do all that there after I've stacked them or when does ribbon go on?

Any other tips anyone can think of? I'm starting to stress (even though I do still have some time - wedding is Nov. 4).

Thanks for any help you can provide. I appreciate it! icon_biggrin.gif

Mandy

6 replies
EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure about the roses but I can help you with the ribbon. If you iron the ribbon in between peices of wax paper it will leave a thin coating of wax on the ribbon and the oils from the icing wont soak in. If it were me I think I would attach the ribbons when I set up the cake at the reception... I think either way would be fine though. HTH!

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 7

you'll be fine! my mom's a florist and they do make little plastic things that little arrangements can be made in to go on top of a cake. talk to this florist, show a picture if you can and be very specific on size etc. you need.

also, i have used commercially grown flowers on cakes (non-organic) -actually every cake i've done (only 3) and just laid the flowers on top. nothing was stuck into the icing. no one ever got sick. it was fine. you can put down some wax paper under the flowers if that makes you feel better

i use a crusting butter cream icing and have used ribbon on cakes. if the icing has time to crust, the icing should be fine. if you're using a satin ribbon you may need to test it ahead of time.

pm me if you would like my butter cream recipe!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 7

some ribbons do get really greasy...But they soak all the grease and the tone is even but gets darker..I have done plenty of cakes with ribbos on buttercream...the worst ribbons are the satin ones..but if you don't mind the color getting darker..then is ok!
I have seen plentu of florist arranging flowers...they put them directly on th cake..and either you can tell the bride to hire her florist to do the arrangment or u can get your own florist if you are not sure how to do it..
Some people don't like the idea of putting the arrngments on the cake...they sell containers too for this purpose too..But plenty of people do it directly on the cake..If you are not sure on the flower u can do a search to see if they are poisonus..Roses are not

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 7

Here's an idea I got from a cake buddy of mine in texas. We were doing the sweet sixteen cake for her niece and she took the top part of those disposable champaigne glasses (left the bottom flat part off) put some oasis (the green stuff they poke flowers into) put that in the cup part, wet the oasis and arranged the flowers in that. She wrapped a piece of tulle around the cup part so that you couldn't see the oasis and poked the glass into the top of the cake. It's waterproof, big enough for a small arrangement and best of all, disposable. And the bottom is small enough so that you don't leave a gaping hole in the cake when you pull it off to serve. You could also do this with silk flowers except use styrofoam instead of the oasis and don't add water.

PricklyPearCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PricklyPearCakes Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 7

roses are not one of the posionous flowers.. I would suggest that you place the flowers on your cake due to the "someone else touching your cake" issue. Usually once you start putting the flowers on, they will start falling into place. you will see where they need to go and things like that.

As for the ribbon, when I make them I always put the ribbon on the day of because of the bleeding. straight onto the buttercream ( which usually with good heavy craft ribbon is fine) also, I place the ribbon then stack the cake. ( it keeps you from "bumping" into the other layers while trying to attach the ribbon) I also really like the idea someone had about the wax paper and the iron. i will have to try that one.

Dont panic and stress. It will be beautiful!

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much to everyone that responded. I was worried my post would go unanswered like so many of mine do for some reason. I guess I'll ask her who the florist is and just talk to them directly. I'm doing this cake at a steal of a price since it's my first and really don't want to have to mess with flowers too. So, maybe I'll let the florist know exactly what I want and go from there.

Thanks again everyone! I truly appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%