Toba's Glace Icing Question

Baking By swheatsue Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 8:25pm by MiaT

swheatsue Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone know how thick this is as the recipe is currently written? Is it thick enough for outlining?
And how much flavoring do you usually use ~ 1 tsp, 2 tsp, ...?
Thanks so much for your help!

11 replies
kathik Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 12

The recipe as written is for outlining. And, I usually add about a teaspoon of flavoring. It is a really tasty icing!

kneadacookie Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 12

actually the recipe is written for flooding. you need to add powdered sugar to get the outline consistency. i always make double batches and add 2 teas of flavor

kathik Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 12

oops!! kneadacookie is right! I thought I remembered thinning not thickening, but I just checked to be sure!

Thanks for catching that kneadacookie!

swheatsue Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you BOTH! I have been using the "Antonia74" RI but see a lot of rave reviews for this one too so wanted to see for myself. Thanks again!

GeminiRJ Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:06pm
post #6 of 12

All you need to remember is equal parts milk and cornsyrup. I start with about 3 cups of powdered sugar and add milk until there is no "dry" sugar anymore. It is almost more dough-like than anything. Then I add the same amount of cornsyrup that I used for the milk. Add about 5 drops of brite white food color for every cup of powdered sugar. This is a bit thick for flooding, but it works great. I add a bit more sugar to thicken it for outlining when I don't want it to spread at all. If the outlining is just for interest and can spread a bit, I use it as is.

kneadacookie Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 12

kathi...don't sweat it. one day, i'll need you. as a matter of fact i have 300 cookies coming up....just kidding.

absijails Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:37pm
post #8 of 12

Can you freeze cookies iced in Toba's Glace?

kneadacookie Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:20pm
post #9 of 12

i wouldn't. the corn syrup does not like humidity. i have made cookies that people told me they put in the freezer. they will last in the freezer but will not look the same.

absijails Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:12am
post #10 of 12

Thanks. What about Antonia74's? Can that be frozen?

Jmtreu98 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks swheatsue! I was just going to post this exact question... thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

MiaT Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 12
Originally Posted by absijails

Can you freeze cookies iced in Toba's Glace?

I froze cookies with Toba's glace for about a week. They were double-bagged in freezer bags. I didn't take them out of the bags until they had defrosted, so no condensation had a chance to form on them, which probably would have mucked up the glace.

Quote by @%username% on %date%