Woohoo!!! New Wilton Course!!!

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 15 Dec 2006 , 5:18pm by Loucinda

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 27

I just received my box of goodies from Wilton for the new gumpaste/fondant course!!! You guys are gonna love this one!! The classes will start in February only at Michael's stores!!! One great thing about this new course book is that in the back of it, it gives you the instructions on how to do the cakes.....VERY cool!! I am sooo excited to play with all the goodies and get ready for this class!!! The kit has TONS of stuff in it for working with the fondant and gumpaste!!

26 replies
JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 27

Sounds fun! What will the cost be? The same as the other classes? Do the teachers have to take a course with Wilton or do you guys just self teach yourself?

Loucinda Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 27

We were taught some of the techniques at training sessions this past year. Wilton is being very good about making sure we all know the lessons and techniques before this class starts. Yes, the cost will be the same as the other 3 classes. The only pre-requisite is that you take Course I.

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 27

What if you already know how to make roses, etc. from previous experience, but you haven't taken course 1? My mom wants to take this fondant course and learned how to do the basics about 20 years ago, would she still be able to take this class?

Loucinda Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 27

I would think she would be ok - but it would be up to the instructor at the store she would take it at. I think the Course I pre-requisite thing is so that folks know what the consistency their frositing should be and how to get it smooth, that kind of thing. This new course is all gumpaste and fondant techniques - it is going to be a lot of fun to teach! icon_biggrin.gif

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 27

Quadcrew,
Do you know when the store you teach at will be offering it? I would like to sign up for the class as soon as it becomes available.

Thanks,
Beth

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 27

So it's more fondant than just what they do in Course III? How different is it? You've got the goodies so give us the info icon_smile.gif I'd love another class - ooh just thought of something - do you have to use Wilton fondant??? Blech!!! icon_smile.gif Although to use for a class it's pretty cheap. Actually I think if you roll it thin enough and leave it on the cake for a day or two, it just soaks up the buttercream.... definitely not something you'd eat right out of the package though icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 27

Are they just doing it at the stores in your area? I e-mailed both Wilton and Michaels, and no one answers me - want to see if they are going to have the classes in NJ!

Loucinda Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:33am
post #9 of 27

I will be doing the classes at the store I am at starting the first week in Feb. I haven't decided which day I will be teaching that one. (I teach at the one at Lewis Center)

I personally would not require a specific brand of fondant for the class - but it requires gumpaste also, and having the pre-made Wilton gumpaste makes that a lot easier on the students (as well as using the Wilton fondant - even though I know a lot of folks don't like the taste of it, the texture is exactly what we need to have!)

You learn different techniques, some flowers, some draping, some borders, some embellishments.....lots of cute things! It is not a course for someone who is already an expert in working with fondant, but for those who aren't it is going to be a fun course!

Momlittr - the way I understand it, all Michaels across the country will be doing this class starting in Feb. NO one else can offer it until May.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:42am
post #10 of 27

Quadcrew, do you know what comes in the kit? I bought the gumpaste flower making set and am now wondering if it was a waste of money. . .

Loucinda Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:50am
post #11 of 27

It comes with: round cut outs, leaf cut outs, heart cut outs, a daisy cookie cutter, daisy cut outs, thin shaping foam, dusting pouch, a fondant punch set, and a fondant ribbon cutter/embosser, ball & veining tool, some stamens. So you didn't waste your money buying the gumpaste flower set! (that does not come in the kit)

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:51am
post #12 of 27

Please say they are going to teach this course in Canada too....
Sounds great and I want to sign up if they have it here.

Jane

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:52am
post #13 of 27

Thanks for your reply! Looking forward to the class!

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 6:21am
post #14 of 27

Yay! Thanks for the info. I used gumpaste for the first time today. I didn't have any problems with it (I used Wilton's premade.) but I wondered if gumpaste is always preferred over fondant or for just some things and why. Anyone?

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 6:29am
post #15 of 27

Quadcrew-

I am also a Michaels instructor and haven't recieved my stuff for the new course yet. I was just about to place a Wilton order for some fondant tools. Is there anyway that you could give me a list of what comes in the kit for the instructors so I don't buy stuff that I am going to recieve soon?

Loucinda Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 1:51pm
post #16 of 27

EB - what I listed above is what you get. (round cut outs, leaf cut outs, heart cut outs, a daisy cookie cutter, daisy cut outs, thin shaping foam, dusting pouch, a fondant punch set, and a fondant ribbon cutter/embosser, ball & veining tool & some stamens) It is even packaged in the box that will be on the shelves for folks to purchase. We also get the extra WMI instructions, and a training DVD for the course as well. Hope that helps!

calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 2:06pm
post #17 of 27

Our local Wilton instructor let us know about this about a month ago and opened sign-ups at that time. My daughter and I have been signed up and waiting for February. Micheal's does not respond to email. Your best bet is going to the store and speaking with the class coordinator. I make sure that she is one of the first people I find when I go to the store. Our girl here is very friendly and wants to know what other classes they could offer.

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 2:11pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

Please say they are going to teach this course in Canada too....
Sounds great and I want to sign up if they have it here.

Jane

hi jane, i don't know where in canada you are but they are starting the course in whitby ontario, in february....i will be signing up this month for it and from what my instructor told me in class, its supposed to be really good thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 2:12pm
post #19 of 27

I was trained in the techniques last summer at the instructors meeting -- we learned Calla lilies, daisies, carnations (finally a cool way to do carnations!!) and a fantasy flower which was very bizarre. It was worth it if only for the carnations! I make my calla lilies differently, it's easier for me. Their daisies are pretty standard too. It should be a great class!

Loucinda Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 2:47pm
post #20 of 27

No lillies in the book ~ but several other flowers and fun things. I want to leave some of it as a surprise!!! icon_biggrin.gif (some of the things we did at training, and some of it we didn't)

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:10pm
post #21 of 27

Thanks Quadcrew! I acn't wait to get my kit!! I am so excited to teach this class! I have been telling every student coming through course 1 about it!

Loucinda Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:22pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

I have been telling every student coming through course 1 about it

Me too! I can't wait to start the classes. icon_biggrin.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:26pm
post #23 of 27

Quadcrew thanks for not letting it all out of the bag. I love suprises. I am upset when I watch a movie with someone who has already seen it and spoils the ending. Keep the secrets. I teach at a HL but will wait for my how-to to come in the mail next month. Hobby Lobby will be able to teach in May. So I will wait till my info comes to me. IMPATIENTLY waiting. icon_evil.gificon_cool.gificon_surprised.gif

Loucinda Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:43pm
post #24 of 27

Yes, I didn't want to say anything about what was in the book - I knew they told us at our training session that some of the stuff we may have in the class and it may be different. I am pleased that there is stuff that wasn't at the training session too!! thumbs_up.gif

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 4:59pm
post #25 of 27

OMG I'm so excited! I bought the Wilton gumpaste kit to teach myself and I have never gotten around to trying it. I'll just sign up for the class as soon as it starts at my local Michaels! Yeah!!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 5:02pm
post #26 of 27

Hey I don't minda ya spoiling any surprises for me - I like to know! So you can PM me if you just gotta share icon_wink.gif

Does the class cover how to cover a cake with fondant again? That one little wilton III class that just had you cover a square cake didn't really help a lot - esp. b/c now I don't remember how to do it! AND if you messed up w/ the square present cake and had some excess at the corners you could just put it to the sides so it looked like real wrapping paper - you know, where the triangle bit at the end shows up on two sides of the package? Maybe that's confusing.... anyway will they do any covering of cakes w/ fondant?

Loucinda Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 5:18pm
post #27 of 27

Yes, imartsy you do cover cakes with fondant in the class, so you will get several more lessons on that aspect!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%