Putting Down The Cake Club!!!!!!

Lounge By 2sdae Updated 15 Mar 2008 , 1:51pm by moreCakePlz

imtrying Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imtrying Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 5:32pm
post #601 of 2524

I would do a combination in preparation for the party. Make good, low calorie food choices earlier in the day so that you don't go to the party starving and make unfortunate choices. At the same time, be realistic and know that you probably will snack some and allow room in your calories for the day for some snacking.

Definitely sip on water.

Enjoy your party!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 5:45pm
post #602 of 2524

I agree with the others. Dont go to the party starving. So eat healthy and low calorie during the day. Then save a few calories for munching at the party. Decide what you are going to eat at the party and what your treat will be then GET A PLATE AND PUT YOUR FOOD ON IT! Tell youself this is what you can have at the party. Dont eat out of the bowls or platters or bags or crock pots! you wont really know how much you ate. Note to self: Take my own advice!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:21pm
post #603 of 2524

It sounds like we're all geared up for another fat busting week! I'm going to get sappy for a minute and say (again) how very much this group means to me. It is so encouraging to see a group of women supporting each other in this way, with no negativity whatsoever. Whenever I'm having a bad day, I know I can come here to get a lift and some encouragement. This group speaks of a larger sisterhood of women working to the same goal. It's a beautiful thing to be a part of it.

SweetTreatsbyCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyCarol Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:53pm
post #604 of 2524

Boy do I need this group! My name is Carol, I'm 45 yrs old. I weigh 196 right now. I was always skinny as a kid, and with a last name of Jones, my nickname was "bones". I have missed the last 2 class reunions because I'm embarassed of my weight icon_redface.gif When I got married at 21 and then pregnant the following year, my weight was 106 icon_smile.gif I went into the delivery room at full-term weighing 129 lbs. Grrrrr to think that today I'm almost 70 lbs more than full-term pregnant depresses me greatly. I can't blame having babies on being overweight. I worked in retail for 10 years and while I felt that 150 was heavy, after going to an office job I have gained almost another 50. I had no idea how much exercise I got from running around the sales floor, etc.

The office that I work in has a Burger King right across the hallway, and they give free refills ALL DAY LONG! I had given up caffeine and would drink Sprite occasionally, but when you can get all the free refills you want, caffeine seems to be the way to go.

Now I'm dating a guy from high school, and yep he remembers me being small. Of course he's into healthy eating and working out regularly, and at one point he won some body-building contests. He has written me a workout plan that is feasible for me, and between a healthy eating plan he gave me and my niece giving me (for free) the LA Weight loss program materials, I should be in great shape! But I'm just not consistent on anything!! I eat right for a while, then when I get busy I just eat junk and fast food. I LOVE my KitchenAid stand mixer and over the summer I took Wilton cake decorating classes, which is something I had wanted to do for years but while my kids were younger there wasn't enough time nor cash to even consider it. Well, my boyfriend issued this disclaimer before asking the question "I don't want to get myself in trouble here, but....honey do you think that cake decorating is really the best hobby for you if you are truly trying to lose some weight??" Notice he said "honey" in there, LOL!

I just need to get motivated and be consistent. Let me leave with one more funny for everyone to smile about....in this mid-life crisis I decided to get braces on my teeth back in September. Well they are looking great, yes. Last week I was working on a cake for a friend's wedding, and the flowers were to be burgundy. I taste-tested the icing and although I had pink hands, didn't give any thought to what might happen if I tasted the icing! You guessed it.....I had pink teeth and of course, with clear braces, even the bands were stained. I brushed my teeth vigorously twice and used the floride rinse, then brushed a few times the next day as well. The stain went away but boy would I have been embarassed at the wedding smiling and saying "yep, I made the wedding cake"!!

shelbur10 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:03pm
post #605 of 2524

Welcome to the group, Carol! We are always so glad to have new members! icon_biggrin.gif You will find nothing but support here, we have no rules except be positive and honest. We do weigh ins and set our weekly goals on Thursdays, recovery Mondays and no cheat Wednesdays. Anytime you are feeling temptation, have a personal victory, or just need to talk, come here and someone will be there to share it with you. I'm this week's "cheerleader" and I have challenged all of us to pay more attention to the calories in our little snacks before we indulge. The goal being to make us more aware of what our little 'cheats' are costing us.
Welcome again, we're so happy to have you!! thumbs_up.gif

springlakecake Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 8:20pm
post #606 of 2524

Welcome Carol!

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 8:37pm
post #607 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTreatsbyCarol

"I don't want to get myself in trouble here, but....honey do you think that cake decorating is really the best hobby for you if you are truly trying to lose some weight??"

Hi Carol icon_biggrin.gif I ask myself that very question all the time! I'm starting the Wilton classes next week, so no cake next week but I'll have to make one the week after. I'm excited about the classes, but not excited about having a cake in the house again. (Mmmmmm...cake....)

Welcome to the group! We all have ups & downs and I know I come here to talk about them because everyone else here understands exactly what I'm going through. It's hard when your DH/SO is used to eating whatever he wants and not gaining a pound - been there, done that! My DH is slowly realizing he can't do that anymore, but he still doesn't gain like I do and has never known what it's like to be really overweight. Men!

-Lisa

imtrying Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imtrying Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 9:49pm
post #608 of 2524

Welcome! I have the same problem as you (not the I was skinny in high school problem, I've been big since FOREVER), I can't seem to be good for any length of time. I lost 24 pounds in the first part of last year and then spent the second part of the year gaining it back. I think that's great that you have someone helping you with a plan.

As far as the genetically thin DH, yes I have one of those too. He eats whatever and lots of it and had the NERVE to say to me last week "I'm getting so fat". I just sat there and stared at him because his "fat" at 5'10" is 180. I supported him as he always does me though and said we could lose weight together. He doesn't get to know about my cc group though, that's just for me! Of course when he drops 5 pounds in the first week because he took one less bite of food, I may have to banish him!

shelbur10 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 10:06pm
post #609 of 2524

My DH is in the same boat as me...gaining gaining gaining...the only difference is he really doesn't care! I keep trying to talk him into getting on the healthy eating plan with me, but he's not quite on board yet. I'm just going to have to put my foot down, I guess. After all, I'm the one who buys the groceries. icon_redface.gif

springlakecake Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 10:17pm
post #610 of 2524

[quote="bluehen92
I'm starting the Wilton classes next week, so no cake next week but I'll have to make one the week after. I'm excited about the classes, but not excited about having a cake in the house again. (Mmmmmm...cake....)

-Lisa[/quote]

you havent had classes yet? You will be head of the class! Your spongebob was great! just know you will have to make a cake EVERY week after the first class! ( for course 1)Better find some friends to give them to! I always cut mine in half and gave the other to my mom and dad.

SweetTreatsbyCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyCarol Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 10:38pm
post #611 of 2524

I was a part-time employee at Michael's when I took my classes, so my co-workers who were on duty the night of my classes got to share the cake. My kids don't live at home and noooo way did I want to take the cake home and tempt myself, ha! My boss enjoyed seeing my progress and knowing that the privilege of employees taking classes for free was a good choice icon_smile.gif

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 11:59pm
post #612 of 2524

Boy I actually have a life one afternoon and I missed all those posts. Usually I'm restraining myself from checking every ten minutes.

Welcome Carol This is a fabulous group. I always thought I didn't need the whole group support thing. My hubby and dedicated diet buddy would be enough but since joining this group I'm beginning to see why things didn't work for me in the past. Even if there is a day when several have crashed there is usually someone left to help us back up.

Shelly your little moment of sappiness just about made me cry - did I mention PMS - you have to be careful with those sentimental moments I turn into a puddle at the drop of a hat.

On another note I got to go to lunch with my DH today (kids in pm school) I did good eating but I must state - Starbucks is EVIL!! Little bitty college girl smiling sweetly:"would you like to try a new cinnamon dulce latte?" It smelled so good I couldn't resist. But I did get the little one, sugar free and nonfat without the whip cream so I guess I'm counting that as a victory. Now to fill 24 cupcakes and frost them in ganache - give me strength and a pack of gum icon_razz.gif

shelbur10 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 12:43pm
post #613 of 2524

Sorry, Amber, didn't mean to start the waterworks...sometimes my pain meds hit me just right and I get all sentimental icon_lol.gif
Great job resisting all the Starbucks 'extras'. How'd the cupcake making go?
Is everyone gearing up for a great weekend? I had a small victory last night...NO SNACKING! Of course, that was because I had a HUGE bowl of beef stew and biscuits for dinner and I was literally sick all night. Hate it when DH cooks...I just can't resist! icon_rolleyes.gif

bluehen92 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:31pm
post #614 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

you havent had classes yet? You will be head of the class! Your spongebob was great! just know you will have to make a cake EVERY week after the first class! ( for course 1)Better find some friends to give them to! I always cut mine in half and gave the other to my mom and dad.

Thanks Merissa icon_smile.gif It's funny because my daughter told me I didn't need to take the classes because I was already good. That's sweet, but I know how much I need to learn! All of the cakes I make are either going into work with DH the next day or I'm going to take them to my son's school for the teachers. I always make too much batter because I like tall cakes, so I know I'll have a few cupcakes left over for the kids & that way I'll know what it tastes like before I send it off to someone else. Now I have to remember that I only need to eat one cupcake (or one bite!) and not three to know how it tastes icon_redface.gif

Can't wait for Monday (first class)!

-Lisa

springlakecake Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:38pm
post #615 of 2524

You will have fun Lisa, I am sure you will learn some new stuff! I actually am going to start course 3 this week, so more cakes at my house as well. I wasnt going to take this class but now that I am going to teach I guess I have to. It should be fun but I taught myself most of the stuff already. I am sure I will learn something new anyway! I just need to figure out who to give the cakes to.

well the weekend is approaching quickly! I hope everyone is geared up to say NO to the chips, chicken wings, pizza, meatballs, and treats that will be presented to us during the superbowl game! We are stronger than the food!

Rambo Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 4:03pm
post #616 of 2524

Okay I'm ready for the weekend but I did slip last night. I had a cupcake. I haven't done a lot of work with ganache - and boy do I still need to practice, couldn't get it whipped right to pipe so I frosted in chocolate BC and dipped them. Oh and while I'm venting, is it supposed to get candy hard? I used candy melts, I think I normally use chocolate chips. Any way while trying to pipe I kept getting stuck on big hard chunks and sure enough it was trying to solidify in the bag. I also made the twinkie filling, first time filling cupcakes, so I couldn't resist trying them out. I knew in the back of my head that was going to happen so I didn't feel too guilty. icon_biggrin.gif

But I haven't crashed so bring on the big bad weekend. Though I have to confess, even if it loses my mother of the year award, my youngest isn't feeling well and I'm secretly hoping he isn't feeling up for a big day on Sunday and then I have a get out of Super Bowl free card icon_redface.gificon_razz.gif . Horrible I know, but sometimes it would be nice if mommy obligations would work in your favor - ya know what I mean?!! icon_lol.gif

springlakecake Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 4:46pm
post #617 of 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo

Okay I'm ready for the weekend but I did slip last night. I had a cupcake. I haven't done a lot of work with ganache - and boy do I still need to practice, couldn't get it whipped right to pipe so I frosted in chocolate BC and dipped them. Oh and while I'm venting, is it supposed to get candy hard?

No ganache doesnt get candy hard, more "set." Depending on the ratio you use, it is like truffle consistency when set or if you can pour it before it sets to get the "drippy" effect. It will still be tacky. Sounds yummy though!

Totally understand you wanting your get out of superbowl card! I sort of dont want to go to a party either. I know it is just so tempting.

bluehen92 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 5:22pm
post #618 of 2524

Rambo & Merissa - I don't know how old your kids are, but it's a school night! Unless you have a babysitter lined up, that's the best excuse because my kids can't stay up until 10 on a school night. I guess I'm used to get-togethers where everyone comes & brings their kids because so many of us have kids around the same age. I had told my daughter she could watch the whole game if the Eagles (her team) were in it, but no luck this year.

Rambo, those cupcakes sound dee-licious!!

-Lisa

Rambo Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 5:37pm
post #619 of 2524

My kids are 5 & 7. It's not so much a "party" as a family get together, tradition on the inlaws side. I usually take the kids jammies and stick them in the tub then we leave at 7:30, no matter what and they crash in the car on the hour drive home. I've debated skipping it - many times - but my SIL is single and kind of lonely so I don't feel right skipping out on one of the few functions she's in charge of hosting. Unless of course one of us is sick icon_razz.gif

And my cupcakes WERE delicious. I ate the one, set two aside for the kidlets and shipped the rest of them off with DH this morning. icon_lol.gif DH just called in the middle of this and told me my cupcakes were like Ruffles, you can't eat just one. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif tehe tehe icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's why I shipped them out of the house. thumbs_up.gif

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 3:56am
post #620 of 2524

Hi! I'm Monika. shelbur10 sent me over after reading my request for cake mix eating intervention post above. Mind if I join in? I don't hve time to read all of the posts tonight, but will try to read up later.

I am 5' 4.5" I am at 168 (ticker is off a little, but it won't take me long to get back). I have a mini goal of 150 and then to get to 135, or a size 8, whichever is first. My diet of choice is Weight Watchers. i started it when i was nursing and have become very accustomed to it. I do it on my own, but would love to join meetings. Funds just don't allow it.

Anyway, I live in VA, I am 30 (grrr! B-day was Jan 21st and I still have issues with turning 30). I have a DH and 2 kiddos, DD 10 and DS 1...yes, 1. I ama SAHM with a part time job. I am a bartender at a resort and i only work on the weekends when my DH is home to be with the kids.

Hope I can join the fun! Thanks!

Rambo Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 4:37am
post #621 of 2524

Of course you can join Monika. The more the merrier. We only have one requirement, you have to be honest and positive. We have no cheat Wednesdays, weigh in Thursdays, complete with personal goals, and recovery Mondays (weekends seem the hardest) If you need to vent or want to share a personal victory many of us are here daily (some of us several times a day icon_razz.gif) OH, we also have a weekly cheerleader. This weeks is Shelly who gets bonus points for recruiting others off of other threads. icon_lol.gif We are all going at it different ways, I'm currently doing the Good Mood diet and Merissa is doing South Beach, I think a couple others are also doing WW (I can't remember) but many of us have done it before, myself included.

So Welcome to the putting down the cake club. I think you'll find a good support group can make a world of difference - I know it has for me. thumbs_up.gif

Hey ladies is our unofficial slogan - Die fat Cells die?! icon_lol.gif LOL icon_lol.gif We seem to use that one alot icon_lol.gif

shelbur10 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 4:48am
post #622 of 2524

Welcome, Monika! Glad you joined us! Rambo covered all the 'rules' although we really don't have any...we're just a bunch of ladies trying to kill off those old fat cells together. We're all doing it differently, some with diet plans, workouts, eating healthy, whatever works for you. Feel free to lean on us at anytime, cause we'll lean on you, too! I have issued a challenge to all of us this week to check the calories on our snacks before we give in to those moments of weakness...maybe it will slow us down! But it looks like you're already off to a great start!!

shelbur10 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 4:53am
post #623 of 2524

Oh, and Amber, I think "Die fat cells, Die" has probably become our official slogan icon_lol.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 5:28am
post #624 of 2524

The fat cells MUST die! They multiply like mad but getting rid of them is a tough feat in and of itself!

Amy

shelbur10 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 5:41am
post #625 of 2524

You're right, Amy. I think most of the time they're just playing dead so they can catch us off guard...

springlakecake Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:34am
post #626 of 2524

Welcome Monika! Yea! a new member!

I did well on the first eve of the weekend. Stayed home for dinner, so less temptations. I got the cake I made delivered so that is out of sight too! (I was kind of proud of my cake, so I probably wouldnt have wanted to cut it anyway icon_lol.gif ) And well, we are getting a blizzard here today, so that probably means I will just have to stay home today too...hmmm, I could make a cake for the superbowl icon_rolleyes.gif . Anybody else making superbowl goodies? Not that we are eating any......!

Rambo Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 4:14pm
post #627 of 2524

Merissa that cake was awesome I don't think I could have watched it get carved up let alone do it myself. My youngest is a big dinosaur nut but I'm noticing a shift towards space - thank heavens, I've had all I can take of man eating lizards

I'm making a chocolate football cake for our festivities. Nothing exciting decorating wise but I am going to try out my first scratch recipe - the dark chocolate cake from CC. I figure family always make the best guinea pigs.

springlakecake Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 9:10pm
post #628 of 2524

I had some leftover lemon curd buttercream from the cake I made. I just got it out to give it to my kids with some animal crackers. I ended up having a couple of spoonfuls of it because it was insanly good. But now I kinda feel gross. I wish I hadnt, but I think my sweet tooth is actually satisfied for awhile!

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:21am
post #629 of 2524

I am caking away tonight! I am making a Paramecium caudatum cake for my friend...don't ask, because I could't tell you. She's probably lurking right now to see if I post pics or not...not gonna happen!!

Anyway, I have done well today on my diet...I worked and it is much easier to just not eat when I am at work. Tomorrow, however, they do the brunch buffet and I love getting my weekly omlet....what? What happened? Oh! I was dreaming of that omlet cooked in REAL butter with CHEESE and a big ole crossant....mmmm....bacon......I think I need a healthy snack...

Thanks, ladies! I even got my water in, if you can count unsweetened decaf ice tea. Exersise? Only if you cont running up and downstairs to get my cake stuff in the kitchen and running all over the bar to serve food.

Rambo Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:04am
post #630 of 2524

Okay, Okay lesson learned. BECAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR! That's right I'm getting out of my superbowl get together but my little man is on the mend. My DH and I on the other hand look like death and feel like that very warm place nobody wants to visit. I guess I deserve it for secretly wanting out. My hopes were to catch up on some house work and cuddle with my baby while watching Disney movies. NOT coughing up a lung icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Good news is the thought of food makes me cringe and I'm downing water and tea like there is no tomorrow.

Thanks for listening to me whine yet once again. I wish that darn groundhog was more reliable I'm ready for spring. icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%