Dummy Cakes

Decorating By connie1220 Updated 17 Oct 2007 , 11:11pm by Melscakes

connie1220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie1220 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 17

What is the best way to cover a styrofoam cake dummy with fondant? And then can you reuse the styrofoam.

16 replies
Tina_Mace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina_Mace Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 17

I'm also curious what everyone uses to simulate regular buttercream?

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 17

When doing a cake dummy-brush with water and the fondant will adhere. I sell decorated cake dummies for displays.

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 17

I just place the fondant directly on. I use tape to secure the dummy down to the board. I havent had a problem with the fondant moving around, but I take my time and go slowly!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 17

I put a thin layer of buttercream on the styrofoam then cover in fondant. You can re use the styrofoam. For dummies I also make buttercream icing and add extra meringue to it. I will harden on the dummy and stay for a LONG time.

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 17

I also used a thin layer of buttercream and it worked great! Cover the cake right after you buttercream it though so the buttercream doesn't have time to crust over and get too hard. (Made that mistake a couple times!) Also, if you do a dummy that has tapered sides (like a topsy turvy) Use LOTS of piping gel on the sides, or else the fondant doesn't want to stick. Good luck!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 17

I also made a glue out of meringue and brushed on the strofoam the fondant stuck really well....

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 17

use water. its free, and you don't have to make it. i use it all the time, and the fondant comes right off when your done and you can reuse the dummies. they last a long time

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 17

We are taught to use water ...when u put icing underneath tends to make bumps cause the icing shifts around...The dummies have holes in it and the stay wet for taking the fondant..I use to do the Royal Icing until i learned this tecnique...Why would i want to spent time making buttercream or ROyal icing when all i have to do is brush water...call me lazy..But is easy and fast! icon_biggrin.gif

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 6:00am
post #10 of 17

Do you cover a styrofoam cake with anything before you cover it with buttercream? I have never used dummy cakes, but I have a client that wants a wedding type cake, but only wants it for pictures and the very top tier is to be a real cake for the bride and groom to cut. And they want it done in all buttercream. I could really use some help on how to do dummy cakes.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 17

no i never cover my dummies with anything before i ice them. just smooth the BC on and (if you're getting them back) rinse them with hot water and the icing comes right off. you'll have to get some tape and tape them down though when you ice. they're so light they'll just slip around if you don't secure them.

CakesOnly Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks Bec.

CakesOnly Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:20pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks Bec.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 17

I also just slap the BC right on the dummy. To remove it, I run the spatula under the BC while holding it over a trash can or over a large piece of newspaper or plastic on the counter ..... it pops right off. Wipe with a damp rag and it's ready to go again.

Tina_Mace, to "simulate" BC, I use my regular recipe except I omit the vanilla and the Dream Whip .... no one is going to eat it so no need to flavor it.

CakesOnly Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:25am
post #15 of 17

What recipe do you use that has dream whip in it? Is it better than the Snow White BC?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:55am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesOnly

What recipe do you use that has dream whip in it? Is it better than the Snow White BC?

Recipe is in this thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-491583-0.html

I don't know if it's better than any other recipe because this is the only icing I've made for the past 25 years.

If it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it!

Melscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melscakes Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:11pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefAngie

When doing a cake dummy-brush with water and the fondant will adhere. I sell decorated cake dummies for displays.

someone wanted me to make a dummy cake for a photoshoot, but I have no idea how much I should charge..how much do you charge for yours??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%