Wondermold Help! Did I Do Something Wrong?

Decorating By tabbiekat Updated 11 Oct 2007 , 6:06am by tabbiekat

tabbiekat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabbiekat Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 5:14am
post #1 of 7

Please help. My friend wants me to make a doll cake for her daughters birthday next month so I figured I had better practice since I have never done one. Well it did not bake well. I used 6 cups of batter and it didn't even raise to the top of the pan. I used this pumpkin cake recipe

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2407-Pumpkin-Cake-w--Maple-Nut-Frosting.html

Have I done something wrong? Does it just take more batter? Is there a way to keep the outside from overcooking? It took about 75 minutes for this to bake.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Tabitha
LL

6 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 5:24am
post #2 of 7

Oh my!

I don't know what happened. It has a beautiful(although unwanted) dome.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:29am
post #3 of 7

What temperature did you bake at? With the Wondermold, I think that it is best to bake at no higher than 325. It will take longer to bake, but it will tend to dome less and rise better.

That recipe does look pretty dense (with 2 cups of pumpkin), so it may rise less than a typical cake. If this is the case, you will want to use a bit more batter.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:40am
post #4 of 7

For the doll cake, I would not use the pumpkin cake, pound cake or any thing with alot of oil. It taste better when it is a lighter cake. Did you place it on a cookie sheet. I don't know if this is right but I was told it helps to distribute the heat better.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:24am
post #5 of 7

If you don't want to scrap the cake, just bake up a couple of rounds to put under it. Cut off the dome, put the wonder mold cake over top one or two rounds, cut what you need to so it matches up.

That cake looks delicious, by the way. If you're set on just using the pan only, I'd say add more batter, and turn your heat down another 25 to 50 degrees to bake it. It may take longer, but there's less chance of the outer part of the cake being more done than the rest. All of my cakes were baking like that, not just the wonder mold cakes, and I found out my oven was off by 51 degrees.

Is the pumpkin cake recipe on this site? It looks so beautiful, I can just imagine how great it tastes. icon_smile.gif

Good luck! I hope it turns out for you.

Holly

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 7

You're cake is probably fairly dense. I like to overfill those pans anyway, that way I know that they'll fill in all the way. Put a cookie sheet under it to catch any spills from overfilling though.

tabbiekat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabbiekat Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:06am
post #7 of 7

Thank you for all the replies. I tried again tonight with a different recipe and also added a little extra batter to it. This one almost got to the top of the pan and cooked a lot better. I also lowered the oven temp to 325. It looks like it came out great. (Now if I can just figure out how to decorate the thing and what to charge my friend for it! icon_smile.gif )

Again thank you for the help.

Tabitha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%