1St Wedding Cupcake Order

Decorating By KateWatson Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 6:32am by mommachris

KateWatson Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 12:18am
post #1 of 6

My first wedding cupcake cake - yikes and yippee all at once!! But for 60 people, using a cupcake stand, choc. or yellow cake, buttercream frosting, some buttercream, some choc. buttercream, simple decorations w/the florist providing tulips on the 6" top and interspersed on the stand - how much would I charge? The stand would have a rental fee, I will go to the reception site (close to my home) to set it up, put the topper on the 6", etc. I was thinking $4.00 per person because frosting each cupcake and adding a decoration is almost more work than just frosting a 12" cake! What do you think? We're in the SF Bay Area where things tend to be expensive, but I want to be fair and not over charge . . . thanks in advance for advice!

5 replies
crazy4sugar Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 12:24am
post #2 of 6

Here in Massachusetts, a plain cupcake starts at about $3.00 and goes up from there. $4 is very reasonable for a simple design/decoration.

Good luck...it sounds very exciting!

cakegirl121 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:34am
post #3 of 6

I dont know that might be too much. Sibby's charges 3.25 for hers. I think that citizen cupcake may be a little more but the are a well established bakery.

mommachris Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:58am
post #4 of 6

Good for you!
I don't know how long you have been decorating or it this is your first paid job so I'm mention something that gets overlooked sometimes.
Remember to charge a fee for the use of the stand, and also charge a deposit for the return of it in good condition. In writing, arrange for that return and get a name of who will be responsible to get your stuff back to you by a certain date if the couple will be on their honeymoon for sometime.
Have fun!

mommachris

KateWatson Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks Mommachris! Yes, my first paid wedding order. She's a friend and I can trust her to return things, wedding #3 I believe, they're in their 50's, small wedding at their church, etc. But yes, I will have a written contract nonetheless with a deposit, etc. I think that's just good business sense even if it was a family member. People get busy and forget what you talked about way back when. I will be meeting with her in Nov. for a tasting and to finalize design ideas. I found a great cupcake caddy that carries up to 36 cupcakes that is $35.00 that I am definitely getting (2 of them) to transport them to the church. She just needs to choose what she wants on top of each cupcake, a heart? or flower? Will we do two flavors of cake, two flavors of buttercream? Which type of stand? I will buy a stand that's not too expensive that I'll use over and over. Any suggestions which one will fit a lot of cupcakes and doesn't cost a fortune? I'm looking forward to it. I think a cupcake cake is a great way to do a first wedding, as opposed to a 5tier topsy-turvy that will completely shred my nerves and ruin my confidence forever!! Thanks for the advice!

mommachris Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:32am
post #6 of 6

I can't remember who posted it but some one showed a couple of pictures of a set of wooden boxes they had made to display cupcakes.
The boxes were just four sides and a top, no bottom. They were of graduated sizes so that when you put the largest one, top up on the table, the next size box had room around the edge for the cupcakes.
The boxes were painted white and could be decorated with different color ribbons to match the wedding decor. The best part was that the stand stacked inside of itself if turned upside down. You could use just as many levels of them as you needed and the top box was just the right size to fit a 6 inch anniversary tier.
I imagine you might put towels or something between the layers so that the tops wouldn't get marred in storage.
Anyway, I liked the look and hope that I can get my hubby to make me a set someday. I don't have a need for them...yet. icon_biggrin.gif

mommachris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%