Conversions...how Much Is A Pound?

Decorating By janetwhitson Updated 13 Dec 2006 , 9:39pm by newlywedws

janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 8

I am making the recipe off this site for crusting cream cheese icing and it calls for 3 pounds of confectionary sugar....how many cups is that? It also asks for 1 pound of cream cheese...how many cups or grams is that? Please help a poor Canadian!!!

7 replies
kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 8

I believe that 4 cups of sugar=1 pound, as for the cream cheese, what type of packaging do you have? Is your cream cheese in the bricks or a tub and how do you plan to break it down to measure out?

Sorry I couldn't be more help on the cream cheese.

nautkl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nautkl1 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 8

For the cream cheese - it should be 16 oz. depending on what the package states. I believe normal store bought cream cheese is 8 oz., so you'll need 2 for 1 pound.

HTH

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 8

I know that 450g is a pound. The regular cream cheese bricks are 250g. So roughly a little less than 2 bricks of cream cheese is equal to a pound.

HTH

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 8

a lot of my recipes are formulas which are writen in grams and kilos..

I found an inexpensive scale that measures both! by pressing a button I can convert the weight..I'm home now so I don't have the name of the company..it was like 30 bucks...

you can pm me if you like..

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 8

One cup is 8 oz.
One pound is 16 oz.
one quart is 4 cups or 32 oz.
One pint equals one pound

Don't know if that helps or is even more confusing. Or you can print out this conversion chart.
http://www.yankeegrocery.com/recipe-conversions.html

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 8

you need about 12 cups of powdered sugar, and two cups of cream cheese, for the recipe you are using. Since its an icing recipe there is some room for error so just have a go at it.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 8

My rule of thumb...when in doubt, weigh it out. If you don't have one, I highly suggest that you buy a kitchen scale to aid in weighing out your baking ingredients.
There is actually a difference when you measure a cup vs measuring by the ounce/pound.
I have previously measured out 4 cups of powdered sugar, and then weight it, and while the difference is minimal it can make a difference.
From measuring out 4 cups of confectioners sugar (not sifted), and then weighing it, the total weight was 14 3/8oz - so it was 1 5/8 oz shy of being a full pound.
So if it says 3 pounds of confectioner sugar, use 3 pounds, don't try to measure it by the cup or you will have a noticeable difference.

Also don't forget that liquid vs solid ingredients will have different measurements.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%