Jasmin's 18Th

Decorating By sweet_as_tisse Updated 12 May 2008 , 4:09am by TandTHarrell

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 15

Hey guys

I posted a cake last night called jasmin's 18th birthday and their were a few people who left questions regarding the shape of the cake and how i make my toppers using wire, as you dont get much room in the comments section to answer i thought it would be easier to answer the questions here...

please bare with me as i am terrible at explaining things!!

I start with a total of four cakes, two 6' and two 7'. i try to get all these to be at least 2 inches in height..

i use mud cake which i find is easier to carve plus this is my most requested cake flavour.

i then put the each 6' cake ontop of the 7' and using a 5' template start to carve the cakes down to give the tapered look. so you should end up with two seperate double layer cakes tapered.

for the bottom of the cake you need to turn one cake upside down so the wider part is sitting on the board. then i cover each cake seperately with fondant.

now all you have to do is sit one on top of the other, by using ribbon around the centre it hides where the two cakes meet...

gosh i hope that made sense......lol. it sounds so much easier in my head but to type it in words...

for the toppers i use 18 gauge florist wire when attaching fondant hearts, stars etc, for the curled wire with the beads i use 18 gauge jewelry wire that i buy on a coil. then i just use flower picks with some fondant or gumpaste squished down into the centre. by doing this i can insert the wire's where i want them to sit and once the fondant or gumpaste has harded a bit the wires dont move around... then you can just push the whole thing into the cake...

thats about it.. if i forgot anthing let me know..

cheers

kylie
LL

14 replies
countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 15

thumbs_up.gif What a great cake! You did a wonderful job....that is so cool! icon_smile.gifThank you for the good directions too!

jo0312 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo0312 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks so much for this very easy to understand it, getting it to work on this end i am worried about!!! I love all your work and think your extremely talented

Can I ask how you get your numbers so perfect?

sweet_as_tisse Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo0312

Thanks so much for this very easy to understand it, getting it to work on this end i am worried about!!! I love all your work and think your extremely talented

Can I ask how you get your numbers so perfect?

thanks jo

normally for the numbers i go searching the net, kids coloring pages are great. if you search for kids number coloring pages you should find some good sites... once i have found what i like i print it out (sometimes you need to muck around with the sizes) trace over them with baking paper or tracing paper then cut them out and use these as a template. it takes some patience and practice the first few times.

hope this helped

cheers

kylie

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 15

Hi sweet_as_tisse ....

Love your cakes!!! Where do you get your 5' template to carve the cake. And can you use buttercream?....And how many does this serve?

sweet_as_tisse Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tana

Hi sweet_as_tisse ....

Love your cakes!!! Where do you get your 5' template to carve the cake. And can you use buttercream?....And how many does this serve?

thanks tana!

i have a 5' cake board that i either use or trace around to make a template, i have done 2 of these cakes in buttercream (they are in my photo's) as for servings, i havent worked it out exactly but i would say 20 maybe 30 if the pieces were cut small. where i live people dont really get a decorated cake based on serving sizes its more about the look of the cake and the occassion it represents....

HTH

cheers

kylie

tana Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 15

Can u pass me the link cuz i can't seem to find the ones made with buttercream......And also, Can u use any ribbon? Sorry for all the questains, But do you get the mud cake recipe from here?

tana Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 15

bump

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 15

I can at least tell you that any ribbon can be used.

Maybe this is the mud recipe she uses?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2417-3-Chocolate-mud-cake.html

I just typed in mud in the recipe section here.

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks for the instructions! I'd love to try making this cake.

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 15

That was very nice of you to type up these instructions. Thanks so much! I love your cakes.

sweet_as_tisse Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:

Can u pass me the link cuz i can't seem to find the ones made with buttercream......And also, Can u use any ribbon? Sorry for all the questains, But do you get the mud cake recipe from here?

sorry tana, i got busy yesterday and forgot all about replying.

these are two that i have done in BC, the sash and bow i made with satin fabric. you could use any type of ribbon or fabric you wanted to make the bows..

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=90094

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=80725

i use my own mud cake recipe, its one that works great for me, its not posted on here because its in australian measurements but most of the recipes for mud cake on CC and the net are similar..

cheers

kylie

tana Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:04pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks for the reply sweet_as_tisse.........And all your cakes are amazing.Love them all....Sorry for all these questains..But just one more......Do you attach the bow with royal icing? Or how do you put it on?

sweet_as_tisse Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 2:50pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:

Thanks for the reply sweet_as_tisse.........And all your cakes are amazing.Love them all....Sorry for all these questains..But just one more......Do you attach the bow with royal icing? Or how do you put it on?

shoot tana, i just went through my emails and realised i hadnt replied to this question.. i promised the kids they could ride their ponies over the weekend so i havent been home much...

anyhoo, i usually attach the ribbon and bow with pearl head pins. i just tell the customer how many i used and to make sure they remove them all from the cake before cutting..

cheers

kylie

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:09am
post #15 of 15

thanks 4 sharing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%