Fondant Folly

Decorating By mjfitz Updated 9 Oct 2007 , 9:24pm by thecakestylist

mjfitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjfitz Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 3

how do i paste fondant on top of fondant?
and is there a special way to dye the fodant before i put it on my cake?
-stephen

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 3

You can add food coloring to fondant. Wear gloves and add liquid color, knead well. You may have to add more sugar and/or cornstarch to adjust for the extra liquid. You can also use powdered color.

Also, you can paint the color on the fondant.

Fondant pieces will stick together with just a little brush of water-just a very little. You won't want to make is soggy or melt it.

thecakestylist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestylist Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 3

I recommend using gel colors to tint your fondant. Since these are not liquid you don't need to add sugar or cornstarch.

These is what I do: make a ball with your fondant and then press it to form a 'pancake'. With a toothpick add a couple of blobs of gel color to the center of the fondant 'pancake' (amount depends of the intensity of color). Fold in half. Press. Fold in half and press. Repeat this until you feel that the gel color has incorporated into the fondant. Once this is done, press and then stretch the fondant until the color is homogenous throughout.

Check my blog for more information on how to work with fondat: www.thecakestylist.blogspot.com or to get recipe for marshmallow fondant.

in order to 'glue' fondant to fondant I would use the clear vanilla/butter flavoring (somehting that contains alcohol) instead of water. Water tends to dissolve the fondant. Alcohol products evaporate quickly drying the pieces together faster. I am sure you have flavorings, if not, use some vodka.

I hope this is helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%