Smoothing A Cake

Baking By mcginnis Updated 4 Aug 2005 , 4:08pm by sls0812

mcginnis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcginnis Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new a cake decorating. I have done about 30 so far and have come across the same issue each and every time.

How on earth do you smooth out the icing so perfect? I have been practing this, and no matter how hard I try, I can never smooth out the last line that my spatula makes! I have tried the longes one I can find (which is I think 14 inches), I have tried freezing the cake, I have tried dipping the spatula in water, and practice. Is there another trick that I am missing? :cry
I used a commercial type whip cream frosting if that is a clue for anyone out there.

Thanks alot!
[email protected][/b]

3 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 4

I use a crusting buttercream and Viva papertowels (if printed, use none printed side against your cake) ... I swear by them!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 4

Hi,

first do a crumb coat on your cake. I usually will do this the night before (work full time), i found this to be better for me or wait a few hours for it to crust a little.

Then frost your cake like normal, let it crust then use VIVA towels to smooth.
put the towel on the cake and smooth with your hand or a fondant smooth tool. A your pactice you will see the differance.

Now I use a differant frosting that does not crust it is a little sweet but I love it way better and to smooth it is fabulous. The frosting looks so good on the cake.

3 cups of shortening
2 pounds of powder sugar - sifted
1/4 cup of water

1 tsp of vanilla
1 tsp of almond

Note you can use 2 tsp of vanilla, that is what I do. I also you hi ratio shortening now and WOW it is way better then crisco, here is a link to a HI ratio shortening.

Mix everything together. Use less water is want it to be stiffer.

Viva towel works great on this frosting

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-5282.html

sls0812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sls0812 Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 4

You have to try the viva paper towel trick. You have to use a crusting icing and let it set for about 15 minutes and then lay a plain piece of viva paper towel over it and rub it gently with your hand. There is an article on it I believe in the articles section!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%