Stringwork

Decorating By adven68 Updated 10 Oct 2007 , 1:20am by adven68

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 6

I am considering a cake with stringwork....a first for me. I am concerned about traveling 45 minutes in NYC streets to the venue.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!

5 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 6

i think i would try that unbreakable gel stuff that is out, or the sugar veil mix(might be the same thing?). The thing i have found with string work is it breaks real easy. Sugarveil although i havent ever used it looks pretty cool and rugged

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 6

Not sure about New York....but I have travelled 4 hours and 8 hours roundtrip with different cakes with stringwork with no breakage. I would do a test run if possible. The first time I did it, I took a practice cake on a test run in the car with children!

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 6

OH...I should mention too that these were dummy cakes...I wonder if using real cakes would cause them to "jiggle" more?

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 6

Use a recipe with all egg whites--not meringue powder. It will be stronger. I use 2 egg whites to each pound of powdered sugar, 1/4 t. cream of tartar, plus enough lemon juice to get the consistency you want. You can use pasteurized eggs if you're concerned about bacteria, or pasteurize them yourself. The cream/tartar and lemon juice contribute to the prope pH balance to ward off bacteria concerns.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 1:20am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for your advice, everyone. It will actually be a dummy cake so no bacterial concerns.....it's for a competition next month so I thought I'd try something new.

I think I will do a trial run..... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%