Freezing Cakes...help!

Decorating By MelissaMay Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 10:26pm by pastryjen

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:18am
post #1 of 18

I was wondering if anyone had some good tips on freezing and thawing cakes. I would love to be able to prepare cakes in advance, but I'm afraid they will get soggy when I defrost.

How long do I defrost before I ice them???
How long can I freeze them???
What kind of wrapping do I freeze them in???

Looking for help!! Thanks!

17 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 18

on the rare occasions that i freeze (i just dont have the space) i cool the cake completely then wrap with scran wrap then either place in a freezer bag or wrap with foil.

As far as how long to freeze, i wouldn't go over a month at the most. And to defrost i leave in the packaging and let thaw, how long really depends on how big the cake is and what the room conditions are, but at least a couple of hours. If you are letting the cakes thaw at room temp, put them up on a cooling rack so if there is alot of condensation the cake won't be sitting in it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 18

I freeze nearly all my cakes. It really does make better cake. I torte, put plastic between the layers, wrap the whole thing in platic and freeze. When ready to use, I fill the frozen layers and then assemble into tiers, use the same plastic to wrap again and let sit overnight on the counter. Next day I frost and decorate. next day I deliver.

leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 18

I do have a cakes-only freezer, so there's no chance of the cakes picking up odors from other foods.

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 18

I freeze most of my cakes, but I usually will only go a week better using them. I have had one cake that was frozen for almost three weeks before it was needed (waiting on payment), and it came out so yummy!

I cool my cakes for about 15 minutes in their pans, give or take, then I take them out of the pans, and wrap them in saran wrap. I then place them in a freezer bag, and plop into my freezer. No muss, no fuss! When it's time to defrost to decorate, I let the cakes sit out over night in their packaging unless I don't have to decorate until later in the day...then I pull them out in the morning and let them come to room temp (takes 3-4 hours or so). HTH!

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 18

Oooo, Leah, what a great idea! I never thought to torte then freeze...might have to try that next time. How long do you cool your cakes before torting?

leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 18

Until they're cool or until I think about it. Sometimes as long as 24 hours. I left last night's baking out all night and I'm on my way to the kitchen now to torte.

Really, guys, cakes are not that fragile.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I freeze nearly all my cakes. It really does make better cake. I torte, put plastic between the layers, wrap the whole thing in platic and freeze. When ready to use, I fill the frozen layers and then assemble into tiers, use the same plastic to wrap again and let sit overnight on the counter. Next day I frost and decorate. next day I deliver.

Leahs is it hard to get the layers apart even when using the plastic between the layers, need to know im doing a wedding cake and i want to go ahead and put the frosting in between the layers ASAP.
Thanks

leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 18

Oh no, not had to separate them at all. I was just being silly.

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Okay I hope I am reading this correctly....you take the cakes out....place what ever filing you are going to put in the middle whether it be BCI or Strawberry filing.... then assemble the and wrap them back in the plastic and let them sit overnight and then frost and decorate the next day?

I am sorry but I have never frozen a cake...and I have several cakes due at the end of this month and I am just trying to see how I can work full time and complete all the cakes due .

Thanks so much for your imput

leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 18

You understood it perfectly.

Other info--I bake from scratch.

I always use a wash, applied just before the filling.

Scratch cakes thaw quickly.

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 18

okay I am so glad to know that I understood that correctly.... thanks so much

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 18

Sorry to be dumb, but waht is a wash, Leahs?

sinfullysweettreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinfullysweettreat Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:33pm
post #14 of 18

OK, I am new to this site and new to baking and freezing. But I thought I read somewhere to do this:

I baked a 14" round cake, cooled it, cut it in half and filled it with buttercream icing, crumbcoated it, froze it for a couple of hours, wrapped in saran wrap and it is still in the freezer for wed night decoration. Is my cake going to be ok or should i go ahead and bake another one? I hope I didn't screw this up!! All help would be appreciated. Thanks again

Ti

leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm
post #15 of 18

You're fine sinfully.

A wash is a simple syrup brushed or squirted onto the cake layers. It adds more flavor, and some moistness.

thecakestylist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestylist Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:07pm
post #16 of 18

I am sure you got all the answers, but i thought I should add my 2 cents.

To freeze:
I bake my cakes, let it cool, tort them. Wrap them in foil paper then with plastic. Freeze.

To thaw:
Remove from freezer and let it thaw wrapped. Unwrap, let it thaw more. You are ready to go!!

I find that cakes are more moist with this method and they taste the same or better as just out of the oven. I never freeze my cakes more than 1 week...but I am sure you can go at least 2 weeks.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 9:22pm
post #17 of 18

I'm about to attempt this! Actually already been freezing, just a couple of questions about thawing. My cakes (about 10) need to be finished by about 3 pm Tues afternoon for a fun fest

My main concern is my 1/2 sheet---I don't want it falling apart on me! I torte & freeze the layers separately. When should I start thawing & decorating?

I have (all dr'd cake mixes):

3-- 10" round
3--8" round
1 double bundt (pumpkin to be)
1--12x18"

Others are going to cupcake cakes.

Should I???

Thaw all on Sun, fill, rewrap & leave overnight & decorate on Monday?

I have wrapped them in wrap, then foil, then bagged. Should I take everything off but the saran wrap to thaw?

I don't have enough cooling racks. Only 4 small & one big. Can I leave on the counter or do I need to buy more racks?

Should I thaw one at a time, then assemble on the board? Or can I place on the board while frozen w/ out it getting "wet"?

When do you crumb coat?

I don't want it to be soggy, if you know what I mean! I will be out of town until Sun afternoon so I'm about to vomit here w/ my nerves getting to me! I need encouragement & some advice here.

Thanks in advance!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:26pm
post #18 of 18

I use mix. I bake, cool, fill, crumbcoat then freeze. I usually only freeze for a day or two and then I decorate from frozen. I don't see why you can't cover in saran after the crumbcoat is frozen and then take off saran while frozen before masking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%