Meringue Buttercreams

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 13 Dec 2006 , 4:47pm by katycc

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 17

could someone tell me a little bit about the smbc or imbc's? I havent made anything besides regular buttercream or mmf. I assume it doesnt crust? What is the best way to smooth? Point me to some good recipes?

16 replies
simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 17

I was wondering about the same thing

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 17

I use Italian meringue exclusively unless I am doing a chocolate icing. It goes on the cake so easily there is little smoothing to do. I used a wallpaper scraper or bench scraper, run the blade inder very hot water, wipe dry and smooth the icing. Works nicely for me. This icing doesn't crust so you can't use the Viva towel method or the sponge roller technique. I do like the upside icing technique done with IMBC I just seem to forget to do it and go back to my standard way of icing and smoothing. I just posted my recipes if you would like to try it.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2426-1171-Italian-Meringue-Buttercream--Shirleys-Method.html

springlakecake Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 17

Do you need to thin it at all for icing, or does it come out at the right consistency for icing the cake? Can you pipe borders and things with it or is it just for icing the cake?

ShirleyW Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 17

You do not have to thin it, even for crumb coating, just put in on lightly and scrape off, chill and then final coat. The icing is much lighter in texture to powdered sugar/Crisco buttercream. You can do borders, figure piping, writing and stringwork with it. I think it is a bit too soft for piping roses but some say they are able to do them with this icing. Try that upside down icing technique after you have grown used to working with IMBC it does make a nice smooth cake, especially the edges. Here is a cake I made using IMBC to ice the cake, pipe the borders and the stringwork. The flowers and bootie are gumpaste. But it gives you an idea of how nicely this icing pipes with regular cake tips.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=123

springlakecake Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 17

that is a lovely cake, also very smooth! I have had pretty good success using a scraper with regular buttercream so hopefully I could do it with the IMBC too! I still have a little trouble with the tops though, and that is where the viva always comes in handy.

Do you mind pointing me to the recipe that you use? Or is it the same as on cc?

Thanks for your help

oh also does this need to be refrigerated?

ShirleyW Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 17

Here you go.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2426-1171-Italian-Meringue-Buttercream--Shirleys-Method.html

Where is spell check when I need it? I just noticed on the syrup ingredients I said COOL to 240 degrees, I meant to say COOK to 240 degrees.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 2:14am
post #8 of 17

Awesome recipes Shirley,
I thank you.
June

katycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katycc Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 2:31am
post #9 of 17

i absolutely ADORE IMBC and SMBC! it is one of the best things i have learned since getting into cakes. i hope it is not frowned upon to point to other sites, but i found this site extremely helpful when i was learning about IMBC. great photos and very detailed instructions. it worked perfectly for me from day one.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=87490

i have used this recipe, as well as RLB's and WBH, all with good results. quite honestly i think it is so much easier to work with than regular buttercream. it is so smooth, and there is no grittiness. also, i think the taste is worlds above the rest, but i realize that is a personal preference.

as far as working with it, it has been a dream, especially the IMBC which tends to be more stable. i cannot frost a cake to save my life with regular buttercream, but they always seem to turn out great with IMBC. i also use a bench scraper, and then chill the cake and go back over it again if need be and/or put fondant over it.

as if you couldn't tell, i love the stuff, and can't say enough good about it. i would highly recommend it to any decorator!! icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 3:06am
post #10 of 17

Your quite welcome Merissa. Katy, that is quite different, in that they add sugar to the beaten whites, more like a lemon meringue pie topping, and they use the butter at soft room temperature. The finished product is probably much the same. The higher cooking temperature you would have to watch, if you get it too hot it forms hard candy crystals in the icing and also makes it more of an ivory color. I cut the amount of butter to 3 sticks or 12 oz. I found 1 lb. to just be too buttery for me.

katycc Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 3:33am
post #11 of 17

Shirley, are you refering to the link I provided when you say that is quite different?? I looked at your recipe, and it looked very similar to me, except for the chilled butter part. I will have to try yours and see what happens. I have only read that you should keep the butter warm, but when I think about it the chances of it melting too much might be greater (although I have never experienced that.) What is the reasoning behind the chilling?

Also you are right, I have to watch the temperture VERY closely. I use a candy thermometer and the second it hits the right temp I take it off. I haven't had any problems with getting bits of hard sugar in mine, but you do have to be careful not to hit the paddle or otherwise you might.

I would also agree that the link I provided is very buttery, and have found you can cut the butter with good success, depending on your preference. I have also flavored this with oils as well as curds, etc, and it held up very well.

springlakecake Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks everyone! I am kind of scared to make this, it seems complicated! I know I need to try something new though. Does it need to be refrigerated?

katycc Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 2:27pm
post #13 of 17

Don't worry, if I can do it I think anyone could. Being new to this, it scared me at first too, but it turned out great the first time, and I have made it several times since. I would think it does need to be refridgerated since it has butter and eggs. I usually try and make it last when making a cake so that I can frost with it right after I make it. Otherwise, you have to bring it back to room temp and mix it again. That was scary the first time I did that... in fact I ended up throwing it out b/c I thought I had ruined it. No the case, just when you think you have ruined it, just keep mixing and you will probably find that it is fine.

For the record, I checked out Martha Stewarts Wedding DVD from my library (they also have it on Netflix if you are a member.) It was a HUGE help b/c they do most of their cakes with either IMBC or SMBC, so you get to see them make it/work with it/talk about it. I would highly recommend watching it if you are a visual learner.

ShirleyW Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 4:26pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by katycc

Shirley, are you refering to the link I provided when you say that is quite different?? I looked at your recipe, and it looked very similar to me, except for the chilled butter part. I will have to try yours and see what happens. I have only read that you should keep the butter warm, but when I think about it the chances of it melting too much might be greater (although I have never experienced that.) What is the reasoning behind the chilling?

Also you are right, I have to watch the temperture VERY closely. I use a candy thermometer and the second it hits the right temp I take it off. I haven't had any problems with getting bits of hard sugar in mine, but you do have to be careful not to hit the paddle or otherwise you might.

I would also agree that the link I provided is very buttery, and have found you can cut the butter with good success, depending on your preference. I have also flavored this with oils as well as curds, etc, and it held up very well.

Yes, your egullet post. The differences I saw was adding part of the sugar to the egg whites to make a meringue before adding the cooked syrup. The temperature difference and the soft butter. I started out making Martha Stewarts recipe with room temp. butter and it took longer to come together at the end. By experimenting I just found it worked best for me if I had the butter slightly chilled, not hard, just so it has a bit of give when you squeeze it. If it is too cold you end up with little bits of butter lumps in the finished icing.

Merissa, don't let this icing intimidate you, once you have made it and used it a few times I think you will feel comfortable with it. If you ever see it break apart and curdle it can be panic time, you think it is ruined. But just try refrigerating for about 10 minutes and then rebeat it, start on slow speed till it starts to come together, then high speed till it is fluffy and shiny.

springlakecake Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 4:40pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks ladies! I will give it a try soon and let you know how it turns out. I think I better wait until the holidays are over and I have some more time. I am all stressed out this morning just trying to make some stupid cupcakes! My youngest is learning to climb up onto the chairs and onto the table and just wont stay put! icon_cry.gif i just need a little alone time then I will takle it!

springlakecake Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 4:40pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks ladies! I will give it a try soon and let you know how it turns out. I think I better wait until the holidays are over and I have some more time. I am all stressed out this morning just trying to make some stupid cupcakes! My youngest is learning to climb up onto the chairs and onto the table and just wont stay put! icon_cry.gif i just need a little alone time then I will takle it!

katycc Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 4:47pm
post #17 of 17

Ha Ha! I completely understand, having 2 little ones as well. This is why I do all my baking after 11pm! There are benefits to being a night owl I suppose. Sleep? Who needs to sleep?! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%