Getting Licensed In Texas

Business By blucy Updated 11 Oct 2007 , 9:00pm by blucy

blucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blucy Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:24am
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew what exactly I need to do to get licensed in Texas-cake decorating business from home. I went to the dept of agriculture to get some information and I wasn't exactly sure where to go. Also, if there is someone that is licensed in Texas could you give me some helpful hints, thanks!!

6 replies
ailyn222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailyn222 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:19am
post #2 of 7

blucy I am not sure if this a state regulation but, I live just north of austin and as far as I know you need to make everything that is eible in a commercial kitchen . You should contact your local health department they should be able to give you more details on the matter.

Good Luck [/i]

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:14am
post #3 of 7

Unfortunatley, in Texas it is illegal to sell food made in a residential kitchen. Cake decorating businesses must be conducted out of a licensed commercial kitchen. Your county's (Harris?) Health Department will be able to tell you what all you would need to do.

blucy Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you!

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 7

Please report what you find out. I'm near Houston, myself. I'm in no position to open a business yet, but some day. If you don't mind sharing your let work, I'm sure a lot of other CC'ers would appreciate it too!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 7

I found some info on this on my county (harris) health dept. web site. I read the check list for inspection and it includes, no pipes showing, three basin sink, floor drain (if you plan on spray cleaning), proper ventilation for fumes and etc, proper lighting, immersion dish washer, and it has to be seperate from any living or sleeping quaters. But other than that it seemed like a reasonable check list. There a couple of other things but not anything thats a big deal. I'm working on gathering what I need for my kitchen and now I just have to buy a house so I can convert the gargage, no biggy. I was really disappointed when I found out I could'nt bake from my kithcen at home but I will get my little humble gargage bakery in due time. And until then I am practicing, practicing, practicing for when I become famous . Oh and if I can find that page again (it was a little tricky) I will post the link.

blucy Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for posting, btw cool cakes!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%