Using Fondant For The First Time

Decorating By mjfitz Updated 9 Oct 2007 , 1:59am by chele_belle

mjfitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjfitz Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:03am
post #1 of 3

I am nineteen years old, i love watching bakin on tv and seeing all these gorgeous cakes and i have been wanting to make my own for some time now. this is my mother's account but she said i could post questions on here.
we got some rolled fondante for the cake i want to make. i'm going to bake about 6 layers of 8 inch round cake then stack them and carve them in to a sphere because i want to make a jack o lantern. I basically dont know how to go about it next. is there anything i need to do before i drape the fondante on the cake? are there an secrets to dying the fondante? is there a secret to smoothing it out? and also what temperature should i store the cake at once i've covered it in fondante?
answers to these questions and any tips you have would be much appreciated! i'd really like my first try to turn out well!
thanks,
stephen icon_smile.gif

2 replies
chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:56am
post #2 of 3

You will need to cover the cake in icing after it is carved and before you lay the fondant over it. The best advice I have on getting it smooth is to make sure your icing is smooth underneath and then use your hands to smooth it top to bottom.
Make sure your fondant is about 1/4" thick when you roll it out so it can form to the shape without tearing. Sorry I can't be of more help I'm pretty new to this myself. Good Luck!

Chele icon_smile.gif

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:59am
post #3 of 3

You will need to cover the cake in icing after it is carved and before you lay the fondant over it. The best advice I have on getting it smooth is to make sure your icing is smooth underneath and then use your hands to smooth it top to bottom.
Make sure your fondant is about 1/4" thick when you roll it out so it can form to the shape without tearing. Sorry I can't be of more help I'm pretty new to this myself. Good Luck!

Chele icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%