Wilton Gumpaste Flower Making Set - No Good?

Decorating By Sugar Updated 10 Aug 2005 , 1:57am by southernbelle

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 36

I heard that the Witon Gumpaste set (the one that has all the cutters and book) is no good, and that the cutters are awful?

Is this true? If so what do I need to get started?

My list so far is
The stuff to make it - What do I purchase?
Flower Cutters
Leaf Mold
Rolling Pin
Modeling Tools - Is the Wilton pack okay?

My goal is to make a small birthday cake with Orchids (or some kind of tropical looking flower)
Can anyone help me please? Thanks so much

35 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 36

I use the Wilton set and it worked alright for me .. but, I'm a real amatuer at it lol .. I'm sure there are others and I'd love to see their opinions on this too .. icon_smile.gif

eryka1842 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eryka1842 Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 36

Well gees...don't go sayin' that. I just bought it last week - hobby lobby had 50% off all wilton products and i went hog wild. haven't used it yet though. hopefully it wasn't a waste.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 36

Wow Eryka..where do you live? I'm going to your Hobby Lobby! I sale like that is unheard of around here!

eryka1842 Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 36

LOL!! They just rebuilt and were having a grand re-opening. I went twice - $90 spent the first time, $70 the second time. But it was stuff that I've been wanting and kinda needed. If I would've had the money I could've done even more damage, but I'm running out of storage space as it is.

I'm such an addict.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 36

All of my friends and family don't even buy me normal presents anymore. They know that if it is about cakes, I'll love it. So I always get cake supplies for Christmas and birthdays!

I couldn't work at Hobby Lobby - I'd spend every paycheck in there!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 36

I have it and it's fine!

Debbie

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 36

Although I prefer the metal cutters---I seem to get a sharper edge with those-----the Wilton set works just fine!

eryka1842 Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 36

Just the news I wanted to hear MrsMissey and cakemaker!

I would spend every paycheck at hobby lobby if I worked there too Misdawn.

Sugar Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Although I prefer the metal cutters---I seem to get a sharper edge with those-----the Wilton set works just fine!

Thanks so much, that's what I was looking for. So would you reccomend a beginner just pick up the kit for $20.00 and some gumpaste mix and start experimenting?

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 36

I just bought my kit on Tuesday and waiting for DH to take kids out for the day so I can play icon_lol.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 6:38pm
post #12 of 36

the wilton kit is fine to start with. Its a great place to get your feet wet before spending the big bucks on other cutters.

MrsMissey Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Thanks so much, that's what I was looking for. So would you reccomend a beginner just pick up the kit for $20.00 and some gumpaste mix and start experimenting?

Absolutely!! icon_biggrin.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 36

UGGH You guys are killing me! I am dying to download a pic of the flowers I made with the Wilton flower making kit for my classIII final project. For it being my first try at a teired cake and all of the flowers I am pretty proud of it! I can't get this stupid camera to work!!!!! I will have my DH look at it here in a little while. I really want some honest feedback and I know I will get it from you all.
Regarding the Wilton flower making kit, from a beginners point of view and knowing no other way...I think it is fine. The instruction book is really clear and easy to follow. Since I was experimenting I made mums, roses, forget-me-nots, and catalillys. They all turned out really well.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 7:18pm
post #15 of 36

This is a great starter set. The plastic cutters don't cut quite as clean as the metal cutters. However, if you wiggle the cutter back & forth, after you press down, it tends to smooth the edges of the cut piece. The flowers are mostly a matter of practice, practice, practice.

JoAnn

Sugar Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 7:23pm
post #16 of 36

Thank you all so much. I'm headed to the store after work. thumbs_up.gif

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 7:48pm
post #17 of 36

This is the set i have too....
I haven't tried all the stuff...but my rose and it's leaves are done with it...
cakegal

MichelleG Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 1:09am
post #18 of 36

Ok, here is my question. In the book it states to use chalk to add accent color to the flowers. Never saw these things before. Is it the same as luster dust or petal dust? What should I use? please help icon_confused.gif

aslate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aslate Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 1:19am
post #19 of 36

I am so glad I stumbled onto this forum tonight. I was just looking at the gumpaste kit TODAY, thinking "Do I need to try this?..... Better check CC before making this purchase!" Thank you for this advice. I have been wanting to try gum paste, but I really haven't had the opportunity. After reading these posts, I'm gonna give it a try!!

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 1:27am
post #20 of 36

I saw that you wanted to make orchids out of gumpaste. First I want to wish you luck. I have never used it - I am starting my wilton course on tuesday (course 1) - I wanted too also buy the kit, but desided I would work with royal and buttercream icing to start out with.

Anyway...my reason for writing is to let you know that I have the instructions on how to make orchids out of royal icing. If you would like them I would be more than willing to share. icon_smile.gif

Just email me.

cakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4fun Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 2:02am
post #21 of 36

I bought the kit a while ago and I really like it....its really simple to follow the instructions and the pictures are great...hope it goes well...

Only thing is that i had the same question about the chalk..what is that?? I tried looking in the stores but all i see is the shimmer dust...

thnx!

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 2:09am
post #22 of 36

i hope not bc i just bought it but havent tried it yet

MrsMissey Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 1:16pm
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleG

Ok, here is my question. In the book it states to use chalk to add accent color to the flowers. Never saw these things before. Is it the same as luster dust or petal dust? What should I use? please help icon_confused.gif

It is different from luster/petal dusts. It is called Decorating Chalk---non-toxic and acid free. It comes in a palette of 24 cool colors. I got mine from Earlenes.com for about $20!

eryka1842 Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 1:20pm
post #24 of 36

In the "Wilton wedding cakes A Romantic Portfolio" book it says to "Grate non-toxic chalk using a strainer and dust dried petals with chalk using an artist brush." This was for a cake that had gum paste rose petals on it.

But MrsMissey's sounds like it'd be a lot easier.

MichelleG Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 3:41pm
post #25 of 36

Thank you Mrs Missey, I'm gonna go right now and take a look. icon_smile.gif

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 3:52pm
post #26 of 36

The cutters in the kit work ok...For a beginner I think the kit is great!! The only problem I have with it is the book...It's sooooooooo outdated. thumbsdown.gif I wish Wilton would get with the times and update the pictures.

If your just starting out with gumpaste I would highly recommend Nicholas Lodge's dvd's.... I think he has one on how to make gumpaste..I hate Wilton's gumpaste.. thumbsdown.gif He shows you how to make flowers step by step.. I'm a visual person so It helped to see him making the flowers.. I have a hard time learning to make flowers from a book!!

mrsjah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsjah Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 4:26pm
post #27 of 36

Hi everyone,

I have been looking also for the non-toxic chalk and I have found that you use "Artist Chalk", you can get brighter color that more ture colors. It does that a lot of time to grate the chalk.

As for the Wilton kit, I also have one, and I like it but just today I was looking in my book and it shows a leaf veiner, but the problem is how can I find one, my kit did not come with one?

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 4:29pm
post #28 of 36

My kit did not come with one either, and I want it.

MrsMissey Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 6:12pm
post #29 of 36

Check at your local cake supply store or favorite online store...there is a double sided leaf veiner that is "fantabulous"! It not only vien both sides but also gives a dimensional shape to the leaf! It is put out by CK Products.

BigEasyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigEasyCakes Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 7:20pm
post #30 of 36

Thanks soo much for all the good info. I'm gonna use Micheal's coupon to get the set this week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%