Is This Too Gross?

Decorating By Laura_G Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 2:19am by jenny72364

Laura_G Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura_G Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 74

I have a house full of boys. I have sons who are 10 and 7. I have wanted to make a Barbie cake forever. My sons do not like this idea. So...we are having a Halloween party with lots of kids. I figured I can use this as a chance to make her. However, having boys, the idea that has come up at our house is she has to be gross. I'm thinking she will be in a nice dress with her head cut off, neck bleeding and her head held by the hair in one of her hands. I think the boys will be fine with this but I'm wondering if I'm going to do any serious damage to any little girls who come. icon_confused.gif It is Halloween but do you think it's over the top? Thanks for your opinions!

73 replies
frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 74

I think it is a wonderful idea...Please post pics when done!!

Cupcake_Kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcake_Kisses Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 74

I think that's a great idea! it is Halloween after all!
make sure you post some pictures after it's done!

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 74

I honestly don't know if the little girls will be "scarred" from it. They might see/understand it to be in suit with the holiday.

If you are uncomfortable with such gore, what about a "Frankenstein" type Barbie. Hair all spiked, white face with scars, and hands straight out all zombie-like. That is "Halloweenie", not too girly, but without being totally gory.

Good Luck with whatever you decide icon_biggrin.gif

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 74

Oh gosh-----that sounds pretty tame compared to some of the stuff I've seen for Halloween. Have fun making it. It sounds like it should be fun to make.

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 74

Sure it is gross, but that is what they like.That sounds like something my dks and grandkids would like. I may have to try the Frankenstien one too. Thanks for the ideas.

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 74

My grown daughter is a big fan of horror flicks - always has been since she was small - she would say that most kids are exposed to far more than you might think, and I don't think your idea is over the top.

Most kids today try to out-do each other in the gross department. I bet you'd be the Mom to beat on this one - maybe have Ken hold Barbie's bloody head with a knife or saw in the other hand. I even saw a cake mold for a coffin on some website - that would be cool too - have Barbie's body in the coffin...

Post pics for us!!

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 74

I think that would be funny, even for girls. Another thought if you decide not to do it and still want to make a doll cake is to make a doll cake into a witch. But I don't think the boys will enjoy that as much icon_smile.gif

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 74

WOW, that's a great idea. I would have LOVED to have a cake like that when I was younger. Although, I am a bit of a tomboy.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 74

i say go for it!!! its halloween!!!!!!! not gross at all!!!take pictures and keep us posted!!!!!!!

Laura_G Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 74

Thank you everyone! I don't have girls and I just didn't know how 7 year old girls would react. My boys, on the other hand, the bloodier the better. I love the Frankenstein idea too! I'm going to have so much fun making her beautiful then bloody icon_evil.gif Thanks again!

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 74

I think thats an AWESOME idea...I wish I had thought of that! Definately posts pix please Image

seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seven Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 10:00pm
post #13 of 74

I love the idea! Show us the pictures!

cakemom24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom24 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 10:04pm
post #14 of 74

I have a seven year old daughter and although I am obviously in the minority, I think it could be too much. My daughter is a scaredy cat but I think her friends parents would be a little upset if I made a cake like this for a party. I wouldn't like it if my daughter went to a party and it was there. Now that being said-my kids are big fat fraddy cats!! They won't go into the decorated garages and porches on Halloween or go to the door if the person is dresses scarry!!

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 10:09pm
post #15 of 74

LOVE IT !! Can't wait to see the pictures !! icon_lol.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 10:11pm
post #16 of 74

I think it's a terrific idea! BTW-welcome to CC! Can't wait to see the pics!

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 10:17pm
post #17 of 74

Considering the celebration, I think it would be hilarious. I also live in a house of boys and they would think it was the coolest thing ever and they are only 4 and 6.

lizziegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziegirl Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 10:17pm
post #18 of 74

My 6 year old niece would be devastated! Once she saw a coustume of Barney at a yard sale and she cried because somebody killed barney.....

I guess we have wimpy girls in our family, but I know she would never look at barbie the same way.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 10:19pm
post #19 of 74

I have an 8 yr old little princess.... she's scared of EVERYTHING!!!!! She is scared of her own cats scratching at her door lmfao...

I asked her if she'd be alright with something like this and she said no she wouldn't like it, it would upset her, and would scare her.... She's not so scared she won't go to peoples house on halloween but she has to have someone with her if the person is dressed up good....

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 10:21pm
post #20 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziegirl

My 6 year old niece would be devastated! Once she saw a coustume of Barney at a yard sale and she cried because somebody killed barney.....

I guess we have wimpy girls in our family, but I know she would never look at barbie the same way.

Guess I'm in the minority also. I think it would be a little over the top. We preach about violence and then glorify it. JMHO. Of course, I don't like scary movies either.........I would be concerned about what the other parents would think.

Diane

Laura_G Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 10:22pm
post #21 of 74

Hmmm..maybe I will ask the moms when they RSVP and if anyone is against it I will just go with a Frankenstein barbie. icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone, this is exactly why I asked!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 10:59pm
post #22 of 74

My dd is 5 and it would not go over well with her. I think it would be fantastic though!

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 11:06pm
post #23 of 74

I love the idea! I love scary movies, but can't handle them as much now (at 37) as I could at 16!!! I want to see the pics!!!! icon_lol.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 11:11pm
post #24 of 74

Depends how little the kids are going to the party. If their really little I would keep it either in a room that says Not for the LIL" one's or something like that but being its Halloween I think it would be hilarious! My neighbors always do up their house and they will tell you that it might be too scary. I think as long as you tell the parents and let them decide it will be fine.

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 11:11pm
post #25 of 74

I think you have to be careful with something like that. Every child has different ideas of what fun is. I'd probably go with the Barbie Frankenstein also. My 19 yr. old DD says it could traumatize some of the children and I agree.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 11:20pm
post #26 of 74

Halloween is my FAVORITE holiday and I love getting creative. I think your idea is really cool - but not for a kids' party. I guess it depends on the ages of the kids. But I think it's kind of inappropriate for kids - awesome for adults, though!

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 11:34pm
post #27 of 74

As a mother of 2 girls and 1 boy, I would be very cautious with that. Barbie to my girls is a very serious deal, my youngest who is not even 2 yet, plays with the Barbies as if they were her own babies, she places them in her doll stroller and pushes them through the house and kisses and hugs on them, just like a little mom should. My oldest who is now 10 years old, when she was younger that was her world, I think now being 10 she would be ok to see the Barbie in the condition you are wanting to place it. I do think at 5-7 years old there may be some girls who would see that and be terrified. Some girls are very emotional when it comes to their "babies". I would definitely talk to the moms of the little girls before doing that cake and give them kind of a warning, but that is just my opinion. Good luck, Sincerely, Veronica

Laura_G Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 11:44pm
post #28 of 74

I just talked to my sons about who they are inviting. My 7 year old is only inviting 2 girls. The 10 year old is inviting another 2, who are 10. I'm going to talk to the moms of the 2 first graders and see what they think. Otherwise, I think the 10 year olds are ok. Maybe?

rhesp1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhesp1212 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 11:55pm
post #29 of 74

Instead of cutting her head off, you could dress her up like Madoussa (sp?)= you know the mythical character with spiders for hair. Make her dress all black and tattered looking, black lacey gloves and spiders for hair. you could attempt to color the body and face whiter to make it look more ghostly.

That way it's not gorry, but not at all girly either!!

Valerie

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 11:57pm
post #30 of 74

A very well know sculpted caker in LosAngles told us at a demo they usually make their animal cakes w/styro heads because kids get upset when the head is cut.
I don't like the idea you proposed.....sorry, it's just not my thing. As the moms of other girls have said I think this is too much for girls.
The Frankenstin idea is o.k.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%