Groom's Cake Explanation

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 9 Oct 2007 , 1:16am by TxAgGirl

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 10

Anyone have a simple explanation of a groom's cake? I know I've seen them on websites but can't seem to find it now... I just wanted something simple for people who've never heard of it. Thanks!

9 replies
JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 10
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 10

A groom's cake is a wedding tradition typically associated with the American South. While a wedding cake may often be decorated in white and light in texture and/or color, the groom's cake can take a variety of forms, many incorporating chocolate or fruit. Cheesecake sometimes serves as a groom's cake. The decoration of the cake may reflect the favorite hobby or interest of a groom, or be used for humorous effect, as depicted in the film adaptation of Steel Magnolias, in which a red velvet cake was fashioned in the shape of an armadillo. The groom's cake is often served at a separate table from the wedding cake at a wedding reception, though it may be served as a dessert for a rehearsal dinner.

Somewhat mirroring legend associated with wedding cakes, a young lady who sleeps with a slice of groom's cake under her pillow will supposedly dream of the man she will marry.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom%27s_cake"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 10

Since I'm writing a Wedding workshop, I have a number of link to wedding cake history. Here are a few. I've also done a cut-n-paste to put the narrative here, but included the links in case you want to see the original source.

http://www.hudsonvalleyweddings.com/guide/cakehistory.htm

The Groom's Cake is a tradition that was prevalent in early American ceremonies, but seems to have fallen from favor in most contemporary weddings. The groom's cake was usually dark (e.g., chocolate) to contrast with the bride's cake. The groom's cake appeared at the reception along with the wedding cake. The origin of this tradition is unclear. Some believe it was to be served by the groom, with a glass of wine, to the bridesmaids. Others believe it was to be saved and subsequently shared with friends after the honeymoon. The tradition seems to have survived primarily in the South..

--------------------------------------------
http://home.woh.rr.com/familyortiz/TiersofSugar/html/history.html
The Grooms Cake
This cake has been around from the Middle Ages, usually dark and solid and much smaller than the Wedding (Bride's) Cake. It is traditional served at the reception besides the white-tiered Wedding Cake, making a beautiful contrast of color, taste, texture and design.

In the South, the groom's cake is a chocolate cake that is set up on a separate table from the tiered bride's cake. The groom's cakes usually reflects his interest, or hobbies, etc. It is cut up by a waiter and served to guests who prefer chocolate cake.

A Grooms Cake is also packed into slices ahead of time and placed in small white boxes, which are decorated with the bride and groom's initials. The boxes are placed near the door and each departing guest takes a piece home. An extra box can be taken for others who could not attend, so they may celebrate the couples good fortune.

This custom of a Grooms Cake is rarely done today because of the expense. However, a family member or friend who is skilled in the art of cakes can offer to give the groom's cake as a wedding gift. The pieces of cake can be wrapped in white paper and tied with white or silver ribbon.
-----------------------------------------

I had always heard that what we call a Groom's Cake started out as the actual wedding cake, as described in this link:
http://www.ruthiescakes.net/Wedding%20History.htm
The Groom's Cake

In the past, the groom's cake was actually called the wedding cake, and what we now think of as the wedding cake was referred to as the bride's cake. Over time, the terminology was reversed, but superstition surrounding the groom's cake was not lost. According to an old myth, if a single woman sleeps with a piece of the groom's cake under her pillow, she will dream of the man that she will marry.

The first groom's cakes were reserved for guests to take home as a memento of the wedding. For this reason, they were usually made of dark, heavy fruitcake since it is durable and keeps for a long period of time. Contemporary groom's cakes, however, are not bound by old traditions. In fact, the groom's cake is a perfect opportunity to express creativity. Many grooms like to have the cake decorated or shaped into something that reflects one of their hobbies, or something the couple enjoys doing together.
--------------------------------------------

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcakes.html#groomscake
Groom's cake

Groom's cake seems to be relatively modern tradition that probably originated in the Southern United States sometime in the 19th Century. The traditional cake ingredients and folklore are reflect ancient Wedding cake customs; current recipes and serving ideas reflect modern wedding tastes.

"Already in the 1890s, therefore, a choice of cakes had been established in America. The types could be played with, for commercial and/or symbolic effect. One idea was to give the bridegroom a cake to match the bride's, and this might be simply achieved by renaming the rich fruit style. A 'Lady Cake or Plain Bridegroom Cake' for which the recipe was published in "The British Baker" in 1897 as an importation from 'across the herring pond'...was, however, a white cake. The author explains that it is 'supposed to be cut by the bridegroom and distributed with a glass of wine to the bridesmaids before going to church'. In Britain neither practice nor cake met with any success, but in the United States the two cakes did persist, with the light cake usually being associated with the bride, the dark with the groom. From the mid-century a possible combination of the two has been described from Virginia.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 10

of if you want a simplier explanation instead of going through all of that with someone who doesn't know what a groom's cake is for.... I would just tell them that its a cake for the groom because "this is his day also" and it would make him feel special and that his cake in no way will take away from her spectacular wedding cake because the wedding cake is always the center of attention.

It's always nice to know the background of how things got started!

In my area, a groom's cake is a normal part of the wedding reception. In some of the weddings that I have been to, sometimes the bride and groom cut the groom's cake first before moving onto the wedding cake. Then each cake is sliced and served. Most people (here anyway) take a little of both cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 10

Kascarlett, I usually tell them, "Oh it's just a cake so the groom doens't feel left out!" They usually laugh righ along with me! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 10

In Eastern North Carolina the grooms cake was usually served with the rehersal dinner. In the 23 years I lived there I was only asked to have a grooms cake at the wedding once. Here is a link to a grooms cake I did for the rehersal dinner that reflected the grooms personality
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1065013.html
and then here is the wedding cake that was served the next day at the wedding.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1071353.html
Every area is different, it's finding out was is customary in your area and respecting the wishes of the couple
jibbies

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 10

Hey, that sounds good to me too! lol

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 10

i think that the people that wants grooms cake already know what they are for!..icon_wink.gif

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:16am
post #10 of 10

For the most part here in Texas it seems like the groom's cake is the one thing he has the right to an opinion on! icon_smile.gif And he typically gets exactly what he wants.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%