Hershey Kiss Roses Vs. Alternatives

Decorating By onegr8girl Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 3:12am by imartsy

onegr8girl Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 9

I've read a little bit about people using hershey's kisses to make roses. I've been making my roses on gum drops (spice drops). I use small ones for little roses and larger ones for bigger roses. You can stick a toothpick in the bottom of the gum drop and use that to stick them into the cake you're making as well. Especially helpful if you're cascading them down the side or something like that.

Any thoughts? What else do you use?

8 replies
mistygaildunn Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 9

I form mine out of airheads, and tootsie rolls. There are pic's in my photo's of both of these type.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 9

I have used gumdrops as bases for buttercream, gum paste, and fondant roses. It's great because the bases don't have to dry or firm up at all.

I don't use toothpicks because I feel that those create a hazard should one come loose and remain in a piece of cake being served. Also, technically speaking, items on toothpicks and skewers are no longer considered edible. The same items on paper lollipop sticks or spaghetti are still considered edible. So, I put the bases on thick uncooked spaghetti, instead.

Rae

something_sweet Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 9

I have tried using the Hershey's Kisses, the problem I have found it that the color shows through on the lighter colored roses, so I don't use them. But I have used them with Peanut Butter icing and think they go well with a Chocolate PB cake. They do make a good base, just too dark for normal roses.

wgoat5 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:17am
post #5 of 9

I LOVE to use hershey kisses (even though my roses suck LOL) .. but I had a great tip from AmysCakes and she got me on the gumdrop kick... I remove the gumdrop roses from the toothpicks and place on the cake icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:21am
post #6 of 9

Here's how I do mine icon_smile.gif

something_sweet Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:46am
post #7 of 9

I could never do my roses like Serious does hers! I basically do mine the way I was taught, the Wilton Rose, on the nail. But I might try the gumdrop, I had never heard of that.

SeriousCakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:37am
post #8 of 9

icon_lol.gif ah but it's like anything else...practice. I find it easier to make them this way, then I don't have to worry about the frosting being the exact consistency, if they droop a little it's no big deal.

imartsy Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:12am
post #9 of 9

I LOVE the hershey kiss rose - but what I did for the color was buy a mold that is "kiss" shaped and then I just put the same or a similar color of chocolate into the mold and use that. I think it's fun b/c it's a little "surprise" in the middle of the rose. And it's white chocolate usually b/c I use the pre-colored or I color it. It's not too strong, not too sweet, it seems just right to me icon_smile.gif Love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%