Hdi Get Rid Of Lumpy Fondant?

Decorating By vickster Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 8:58pm by FionaB

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 15

I don't know what I'm doing differently, but my fondant frosting has gone down hill. I made a birthday cake Sunday and the sides were horribly lumpy. I have started stacking my layers and letting them rest awhile to see if that would help. I wonder if I am not putting on a thick enough layer of BC under the fondant. Or possibly I'm rolling my fondant too thin? I have switched from using Wilton to making my own MMF. Sunday's cake was strawberry MMF made with strawberry marshmallows. The tops of the cakes look fine. It's the sides that look pretty pitiful.

14 replies
sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 15

From my own experiences too thick a layer of buttercream can lead to sagging sides. Also if the fondant is too soft when you roll it out it tends to slip down the sides of the cake. Hope this helps...

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 15

Well, I might think you're doing the opposite and maybe putting too much buttercream. That or if the cake has bumps in it, they will show through. Also, fondant that's too thin could be the culprit. How thick is your BC and how thin is your fondant?

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 15

problem with lumpy fondant one day when the weather was hot. I don't know why, but I kept getting huge bubbles. I had to do the cale in real smoothe buttercream. Are your bumps filled with air or frosting?

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 15

Wood, sorry I wasn't clear. The fondant itself isn't lumpy--the cake sides look lumpy after I fondant them. Sarah, I'm not putting on much more BC than a crumb coat. I'm thinking I might not be getting enough sugar kneaded into my MMF when I'm making it. Because when I was using the Wilton, I didn't have much trouble. I had a little bulging where the two layers met, but I think that's because I didn't let the cake settle before adding the fondant.
How long should you allow between the BC coat and adding the fondant?

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 15

Dear Vickster,
I appreciate you asking the question because I suffered the same issue when using Wilton and when you asked it prompted me to research online to find an answer. If it was lumpy due to the BC you could smooth the buttercream by placing it in the fridge or freezer and let it stiffen up a bit and use a fondant smoother to smooth it out. But they say the number one reason fondant of any variety or manufacturer is the thickness or rather the thinness on the fondant itself. Wilton may not have the same issue because thier product is innately think and doesnt roll too thin. But as I have found what rolls out like modeling clay also tastes like it. HEE HEE
I am a total fan of Satin ice. Works wonderfully everytime and tastes like heaven in comparison to Wilton.

FionaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FionaB Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 15

Hi

I have had the same problem, and am looking for tips on how to improve the finish of the icing on my cakes. I am going to attempt a hat or bag for my sisters 40th, on Saturday,my usually party age is under 7 so I need this one to be perfect! All tips gratefully appreciated.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 15

Chill the cake before applying fondant. Hard buttercream is a lovely surface to work with.

FionaB Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks for that, how long would you chill it for?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 15

I solved that problem by rolling my fondant thicker - it made a huge difference!

I always chill the cake first and then use my hands to smooth the surface of the BC even more.

The trouble with applying fondant to a chilled cake, however, is that you might get "blowouts". I'm not exactly sure how it happens, but someone mentioned that as condensation develops, air escapes and gets trapped between the fondant and BC.

Make sure that your fondant is adhered well. Another CC'er suggested spritzing the crumb coat with a light mist of water first.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 15

I have always used water to adhere fondant details to the fondant covered body of my cakes so it might just work. I have had an issue with the fondant not sticking to the BC chilled or not though.

I havent had a blowout. yet anyways (KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED THOUGH)

could you poke the bubble with a sterilized pin and allow the air to escape and smooth from there?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 15

I've poked a few bubbles myself, lol. You have to use a a small needle and hold it at an angle if you don't have any embellishments to cover it up with. Duff will use a "spackle" of royal icing to hide flaws, but the color has to be an exact match.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 15

BLowouts happen from mix cakes settling. Not from scratch cakes (at least not that I've heard) or from condensation. You juts need to chill it long enough that the surface is firm. Depends on the temp of the cake before icing (was it already chilled w filling) and your fridge. Could be up to an hour, I suppose.

wjmonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjmonte Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #14 of 15

hey there yall I wanted to send a little link of advice. Sugarshack's dvd Flawless Fondant. Have you heard of it?? I can tell you is well owrth the money and she addresses ever single issue you guys have listed here. She shows you have ot trim the sides of your cakes to start with a perfect "canvas", she teaches you how to ice , roll out, smooth and prevent issues and then she shows you how to fix imperfections if you get them.

SUper super instructions please check it out!!

FionaB Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:58pm
post #15 of 15

I will that sound great, thanks. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%