Hazelnut Buttercream Icing Recipe?

Decorating By tastycakes Updated 12 Aug 2005 , 1:40pm by smediagirl

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:45am
post #1 of 17

Hi, I need a recipe for Hazelnut buttercream icing. Can I just add a bit of Hazelnut liquor, such as Frangelico? Will this change the texture or strength of the icing? I've gotten away with using plain buttercream for quite a while, It's nice to be challenged! Thanks for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
mjw15618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjw15618 Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 17

I make a white cake with a white chocolate hazelnut buttercream - out of this world! I use a basic swiss buttercream then add about some white chocolate ganache and a few ounces of Frangelico. It has a nice hazelnut flavor that's not too over powering.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 2:01am
post #3 of 17

mjw15618, Thank you so much for your help! This sounds great.

mjw15618 Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 17

No problem! I hope it works out well for you. icon_biggrin.gif

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 17

mjw15618,
Could you share your recipe for the swiss BC with me?

Thank you.

Naty

mjw15618 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 12:06am
post #6 of 17

Hi Naty!
It's from my favorite book - Toba Garrett's "The Well Decorated Cake". It makes alot, so for a 9" round double-layer with simple decorations I make half the recipe. Also, if the weather is really warm, I substitute about half a pound of shortening for half a pound of the butter (for the whole recipe).

10 egg whites (~1 1/2 cups)
3 cups granulated sugar
3 lbs. unsalted butter, at room temp, cut into 2" chunks
1 tbsp. vanilla
1/4-1/3 cup Frangelico
1 recipe white chocolate ganache (recipe follows)

Whisk egg whites and sugar together in top of a double boiler. Heat until it reaches 140 degrees on a candy thermometer.

Transfer to a mixing bowl and whip on med/high until doubled in volume and stiff peaks form. It shouldn't be dry looking - it should be very glossy.

Using the paddle attachment, add half the butter and pulse the mixer a couple of times until the butter is completely covered with meringue. Add the rest of the butter and pulse a few more times. Slowly increase the mixer's speed, starting at the lowest speed, every 10 seconds until you reach the med/high speed. Continue beating until it's light and fluffy - usually 3-5 minutes for me. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the Frangelico. Still on low, beat in the ganache about 1/2 cup at a time.

white chocolate ganache:
3/4 cups cup heavy cream
1/2 lb. white chocolate, chopped

Bring cream to a boil. Turn off heat and add chocolate. Let rest until chocolate is melted. Stir well, then refrigerate until firm.

Toba says you can freeze it for up to three months, but I've never tried that. I love this recipe because it pipes well and tastes awesome! It is very rich, but I'd rather use this type of buttercream over the butter/10x sugar variety. I hope you like it! icon_razz.gif mjw

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 1:08am
post #7 of 17

Oh, my gosh this sounds so yummy!!!!!!!!

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 17

mjw,
It was very nice to share your recipe. Thank you very much!!!

Naty

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 4:10am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastycakes

Hi, I need a recipe for Hazelnut buttercream icing. Can I just add a bit of Hazelnut liquor, such as Frangelico? Will this change the texture or strength of the icing? I've gotten away with using plain buttercream for quite a while, It's nice to be challenged! Thanks for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

You might also be able to use some of the hazelnut flavoured coffee creamer in your regular buttercream.

icon_smile.gif

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 4:26am
post #10 of 17

mjw15618,
Question about your swiss buttercream. If I don't want the hazelnut flavor,
do I just omit the Frangelico? Do I need to add any other liquid? Thanks.
Emi

mjw15618 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 1:09pm
post #11 of 17

Hi Emi!
You can just omit the Frangelico and use two tablespoons of vanilla extract instead. You don't need to add any other liquid. I've also made it with Amaretto, almond extract, creme de cassis (for a berry flavor - creme de cassis is black currant liqueur), Bailey's Irish Cream and bourbon. All of them were yummy! icon_smile.gif

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:01pm
post #12 of 17

I usually just use hazelnut flavored coffee creamer in place of the water in my buttercream. If I want a stronger flavor I'll add more and then a bit more powdered sugar. I'm going to try that swiss buttercream though, it sounds delicious!

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:06pm
post #13 of 17

What kind of burbon do you use? I have seen some recipes that look nice but I don't know of a good brand.

Thank you

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:13pm
post #14 of 17

I love adding Nutella Hazlenut spread to my plain meringue buttercream...
I normally eyeball it depending on how humid it is...
Average about 2 - 3 tbs. The flavor deepens the longer it sits.

It is extremely smooth and delicious...excellent with chocolate cake!

mjw15618 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:20pm
post #15 of 17

Oh, I love Nutella. That sounds awesome! I'll have to give that one a try. As for bourbon, I use what I drink. Maker's Mark is my favorite, and although Jack Daniels isn't technically bourbon I've used that, too. I usually use the bourbon with a cream cheese variation of the buttercream on carrot cake.
mjw

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 6:57pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks MJ, you're a great help.

smediagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smediagirl Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:40pm
post #17 of 17

***GODIVA***
can you give me your recipee that you use Nutella in? If you want to e-mail me you can at [email protected]
I love Nutella and would love that recipee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%