Spritz Recipes Anyone?

Baking By strawberry0121 Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 12:24am by Sunflowerbagel

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 4:41am
post #1 of 32

I am going to do some of these for a party and I can't find any recipes! Anyone have any good ones they would be willing to share? Thanks!

31 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 4:47am
post #2 of 32

I got mine from the recipes section of the Wilton website. They are quite tasty. I think there is six different varieties.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 4:47am
post #3 of 32

This is my mom's recipe. The only one I have ever used.

1 pound butter (no substitutions!)
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
6 egg yolks
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. almond extract

Cream all ingredients with electric mixer until thoroughly combined. Press dough through a cookie press onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325 F for approximately 8 minutes. Dough can be colored very easily.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

strawberry0121 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 4:54am
post #4 of 32

Thanks! Actually, Wilton has 20! Very cool!

Edited to say, oops, I'm wrong. That is all of their recipes, not all of the spritz recipes. But thanks again!

playingwithsugar Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 4:58am
post #5 of 32

The only one of the Wilton spritz cookie recipes I did not like was the peanut butter spritz. They just did not turn out right for me, tasted like rancid nuts. The peanut butter was brand new, fresh -- I don't know. Let me know if you try them, and how they turn out.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

peasacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peasacake Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 5:49am
post #6 of 32

Hi there! This IS my most popular holiday cookie that I make...

1 cup(1/2lb) unsalted butter, room temp.
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups flour

Combine butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla and salt. Stir in flour until well mixed.
Pack dough into cookie press. Press onto ungreased baking sheets spaced an inch apartfrom one another.
Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.

I like to color half my dough red and then combine the two, red and 'white', doughs in the cookie press. I use the poinsetta/flower design. Then, as soon as I take the cookies out of the oven, I drop them each separately into a mixture of powdered candy canes, that I've ran through my quisinart, and powdered sugar. Then place them onto a rack to cool. They are ADDICTIVE!

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 32

This is my grandma's recipe:

2C. margarine
2C. sugar
4 egg yolks
5C. flour
1t. vanilla

Cream margarine, gradually add sugar. Add egg yolks one at a time, stir in vanilla, then flour a small amount at a time, mix well. Bake at 400 for about 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Remove from cookie sheet as soon as they come out of the oven. If you allow to cool they will break when you go to take them off.

emnjakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emnjakesmom Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 32

I really like this one from allrecipes.com: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butter-Snow-Flakes/Detail.aspx

It has cream cheese, cinnamon, and orange zest in it, and my kids and hubby love these cookies!

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 32

I use the same exact one as peasacake and it is awesome! I love these cookies but can't make them this year because I cannot find my cookie press. icon_sad.gif

strawberry0121 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 32

You all are so generous with your recipes!!! which one to try? Hmm...

I'm glad you said something about the PB ones, I was going to try them! But I found abnother recipe for those, so I'll compare the ingredients first.

Thanks, everyone!

Monika

strawberry0121 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:57pm
post #11 of 32

Ok, dumb question. I don't have any oranges or orange zest, I have tangerines. Woiuld they work? If so, how could I make zest? TIA!

pammelasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammelasue Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 7:58pm
post #12 of 32

I use the one that came with my cookie press and I can't tell you what it is because it's at home and I'm at work icon_sad.gif However, I did notice that the recipe works better with real butter. I tried it with margarine because I didn't have butter at the time and it was too "soft" and kept sticking to my cookie press. If I use real butter it works MUCH better! Just my 2 cents (for what it's worth...probably not 2 cents icon_biggrin.gif )
Pam

strawberry0121 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:05pm
post #13 of 32

I have 4 pounds of butter in the fridge waiting to be made into some type of delectable festive dessert....Thanks for the tip! I try to only use butter for Christmas baking, as if I wasn't broke enough, right???

strawberry0121 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:12pm
post #14 of 32

patton78:

You could just pipe them as stars or something! You don't HAVE to use a cookie press! Make them!!! icon_smile.gif

strawberry0121 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:18pm
post #15 of 32

I looked at the Wilton recipe for PB ones, yuck. They use shortening!!! What do you think of this one (Cooks.com)? I am going to tryi it and see. It sounds yummy!

Peanut Butter Spritz

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, cream together the peanut butter, butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla blending well. Stir in flour mixture until well blended
Shape dough into 3 rolls to fit cookie gun; cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350*F (175*C).
Use cookie gun to shape dough as desired, following manufacturer's instructions. Place on ungreased baking sheets about 2-inches apart.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 12 to 14 dozen.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 32

I've liked this one:

http://marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe1264&search=true&resultNo=1

I've also done a mocha spritz cooke that was TO DIE FOR!
But I can't find the recipe this year! icon_sad.gif

emnjakesmom Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 8:31pm
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry0121

Ok, dumb question. I don't have any oranges or orange zest, I have tangerines. Woiuld they work? If so, how could I make zest? TIA!

I'd use the tangerines (and probably will- that's what I have too!) The zest is just the orange part of the rind- you can use a cheese grater to scrape it off. Be careful to not go into the white part of the rind- it's bitter.

strawberry0121 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 10:50pm
post #18 of 32

The tangerines worked beautifully. 2 tangerines = about 1 teaspoon of zest, well, the way I zested them anyway.

The dough for the PB recipe I used tasted YUMMY, I only hope it has as much flvor and they are tender when I cook them. I will let you know.

playingwithsugar Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 12:35am
post #19 of 32

Patton78 --

Since spritz cookies are loaded with butter, you could roll the dough into a log, then refrigerate. When you want to bake, take it out, keep it cold, and do a slice and bake thing with it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 12:47am
post #20 of 32

1 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
1/3 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Subtract cinnamon and add any flavoring you like!

Preheat oven to 375 F. Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, sour cream and vanilla. Sift together flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture. Fill cookie press with dough, then form cookies on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Note: Can also be made using a pastry bag using a large pastry tip.

emnjakesmom Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 12:34pm
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry0121

The tangerines worked beautifully. 2 tangerines = about 1 teaspoon of zest, well, the way I zested them anyway.

Thanks for sharing that info- that really helps! thumbs_up.gif

chubbycheeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chubbycheeks Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:25pm
post #22 of 32

Well, since I make a ton of sugar cookies, I do a different recipe for my spritz cookies.

I use this recipe:

Pebber-Nodder Cookies

They aren't as sweet as sugar cookies, but they are good. Rather than rolling and slicing as the recipe says, I just roll it and use my cookie press! Works great! My kids love them. I don't usually have cardamon, but I subsitute with cloves and nutmeg. It smells WONDERFUL!

strawberry0121 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 10:13pm
post #23 of 32

Well, feedback from my friend is that te Butter Snowflake is YUMMY!!!! THank you!

She doesn't like PB, but they turned out great, too, so I give that recipe a thumbs up...it's all in the butter, baby! THanks everyone!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 10:21pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisseyann

This is my mom's recipe. The only one I have ever used.

1 pound butter (no substitutions!)
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
6 egg yolks
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. almond extract

Cream all ingredients with electric mixer until thoroughly combined. Press dough through a cookie press onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325 F for approximately 8 minutes. Dough can be colored very easily.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

I'll have to try that. It sounds simple and delicious. thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 9:16pm
post #25 of 32

Hi, Monika,

Thanks for the feedback on that PB spritz cookie recipe. When I read it I thought - that's going to make a nice, light cookie.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 10:55pm
post #26 of 32

I just found this one on www.thatsmyhome.com. I have not tried it, but it sounds yummy!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Spice Spritz

2/3 cup sugar
1 cup butter -- softened
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

For Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 400F. In large mixer bowl combine sugar, butter, egg, salt, spices, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture is light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add flour. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed, 2 to 3 minutes. If dough is too soft, cover and refrigerate until firm enough to form cookies, 30 to 45 minutes. Place dough in cookie press. Form desired shapes 1 inch apart on cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

For Glaze, in small bowl stir together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle or pipe over warm cookies.

strawberry0121 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 2:11am
post #27 of 32

It is a light cookie, I generally think of PB cookies as heavy, but this recipe is not and if you don't overcook them, they stay slightly chewy in the middle...yum! Oh and they don't have an overpowering PB taste.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 1:59pm
post #28 of 32

jeking, you mentioned using a pastry bag to form the cookies. Have you tried that? I can no longer use a cookie press due to hand problems, but have little trouble with a nice soft pastry bag.
Thanks!

strawberry0121 Posted 15 Dec 2006 , 2:11pm
post #29 of 32

I think if you use a pastry bag with a large tip on it, you can basically just pipe them onto the cookie sheet.

luvhavinbgtwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvhavinbgtwins Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 11:58pm
post #30 of 32

RE:
You could just pipe them as stars or something! You don't HAVE to use a cookie press! Make them!!!

Please someone tell me how to do this , my press broke

thanks so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%