Box Mix Advice...post Your Favorite Doctored Add!!

Decorating By Lucy0618 Updated 8 Oct 2007 , 12:53pm by bobwonderbuns

Lucy0618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucy0618 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 18

I AM LOOKING FOR DOCTORED MIXES I TRIED LOOKING FOR SOME BUT NOT TO SAVY IN THE SEARCH.....WHAT CAN I ADD TO A BOX MIX TO MAKE IT ULTRA DELICIOUS....BUT I DON'T WANT TO ADD TO MANY THINGS. I HEARD THAT ADDING SOURCREAM TO A VANILLA MIX WAS GREAT BUT HOW MUCH?? WHAT ELSE HAVE YOU ADDED?? THANKS EVERYONE!!

17 replies
zachsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zachsmom Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 18

I use BC butter recipe yellow mix and add 1TBSP (sometimes 2) of cinnamon extract. I decrease water by same. Everyone I bake for loves these cakes.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 18

Click on the Recipes Tab, Click on the Down arrow where it says catagories, then go to Box Mixes... That is where the recipes are to doctor them. icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps,
Pat

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 18

Opps...after clicking down arrow at Catagories... Go to Cake Mix Cakes.... to highlight it in the box and hit Search... Sorry about that...

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 18

I substitute the oil called for with Helman's Mayo....... makes a little denser and more moist cake..... also I add almond to the white cakes, and vanilla to the chocolate..... no complaints yet !

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 18

I use the extender recipe from here (won't ever make a plain mix again). In addition to what is called for on the box add 1 c. sugar, 1 c. flour, 1/3 tsp salt, 1c. sour cream, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 1 egg.

Also love the Chi Tea Cake (from a mix) cake in the recipe section.

Also I sometimes add about 2 Tbls. powdered coffee creamer to my mixes.
Val

andi28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andi28 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 18

Where do you find the recipe for the Chi tea cake..... My MIL loves chi tea and that would be a great cake for her.

doreen1092 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreen1092 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 18

I also use an extender rec.
1 sm. box pudding
1c. flour
1c.sugar
1/3c oil
1/2c. milk
1c. sour cream
4 eggs
pinch salt
1 box cake mix
1tsp. vanilla or almond

I use the white chocolate flavored pudding in my white cake mix.
the chi tea cake sounds delish!!!

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 18

so when you add a pudding mix to a cake box mix do you have to add anything else to it?

ex-more water or an extra or something

thanx

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:08am
post #10 of 18

I buy only the mixes with pudding in the mix. And I add an extra egg and 1/2 my liquid is evaporated milk and 1/2 water. I also add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.

Makes my cakes a bit denser and those who complain about box cake mixes don't know the difference or complain.

KimmysKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmysKakes Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:23am
post #11 of 18

I always used Duncan Hines cake mix (without pudding!). For vanilla cakes, I add one box of vanilla pudding and 4 eggs instead of 3, then the normal amount of oil and water as directed. For choc cake, I add one box of choc pudding, 4 eggs instead of 3, 1 cup of sour cream and 1 tsp vanilla, normal amount of oil and water as directed. My customers RAVE about my cakes. I owe my thanks to the Cake Mix Doctor! icon_wink.gif

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 1:08am
post #12 of 18

here is the link for Chai Tea Cake http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2603-0-Chai-Tea-cake-from-cake-mix.html

If I would have spelled it correctly it wouldn't have taken me 20 minutes to find it icon_lol.gif

Val

jaklotz1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaklotz1 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 1:39am
post #13 of 18

I use Duncan Hines mixes and found the perfect way to improve flavor, moistness and density. For chocolate cakes I use the Devils Food mix and then add 1/2 cup of Sour Cream and 1/2 cup of pound cake mix. The pound cake creates a little more density to make it easier to work with and the sour cream adds flavor and keeps it moist.
For white cakes I use the white mix and add 3/4 cups of each sour cream and pound cake mix.

Have gotten rave reviews and is extremely easy....2 extra ingredients.

andi28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andi28 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:17am
post #14 of 18

Thank you "vrmcc1" for the cake recipe. can't wait to make it.

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:37am
post #15 of 18

I follow the cake mix doctor recipes and have not been dissapointed. Every one has been fantastic! Rave reviews.

kathrynscakesncookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathrynscakesncookies Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:14am
post #16 of 18

I use something my mom did to her's. 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup veggie shortening, and 1/2 cup self rising flour...for white cake mix. I add 3 Tbsp of cocoa powder with the above listed extras for chocolate cake mix. I use walmart's brand cake mix and sift everything together. I also add the whole egg unless it's a wedding cake I just add another egg white. my customers can't tell it's a cake mix even though I tell them i don't make them from scratch.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:34am
post #17 of 18

I use a recipe from lilscakes:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-Cake-Mix-extender.html

I love it. I usually make it with 6oz vanilla yogurt and it works good too.

I use almond or vanilla flavoring or if I make a lemon cake I use lemon yogurt.

When I use sourcream it seems a little more dense, but still good.

Good Luck.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:53pm
post #18 of 18

Here's another thread that deals with this: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-549343-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%