My First Wedding Cake Was Almost Disaster!!!!! (Long)

Decorating By vitomiriam Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 8:39pm by missmeg

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 20

Well, it started with Krafts Foods recall on white chocolate (which gratefully, I was informed here, on CC, because there was NO SIGNS on the shelves in the supermarket). icon_eek.gif I had already baked two out of three tiers of my cake and had to throw it out because I used the recalled white chocolate. Then, I spent one entire day buying up all the Ghiradelli white chocolate I could find. I guess everyone else was doing the same because I could only find a few bars at each supermarket. icon_mad.gif This started my "first wedding cake jinx." My next fiasco was dropping the five pounds of strawberry filling on the garage floor. After my DH cleaned it up for me because I was in tears, I went to the supermarket to buy strawberries to make another batch. As I was making the second batch of filling, the phone rang and I was so distracted talking about all the problems I had with the cake, that I burned that batch. Yes, I know, but my brain was fried by that point... icon_redface.gif Then and finally, as I was completing the cake (FINALLY!), I realized that the thing was too heavy for the wimpy little foam board I was using so I spent the entire night having nightmares about delivering it. The end of the story is that I managed to stack several boards in my delivery box for extra support and delivered it with DH's help with minor casualities. I lost most of my pearl border which I patched up at the reception site. Not the best job, but hey, I could have either poisoned an entire wedding party or lost the whole cake from a buckling board. icon_surprised.gif Here's a pic of the cake that was almost of the death of me... icon_lol.gif
LL
LL

19 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 20

I think it turned out great inspite of the problems. Sometimes it takes these near disaster experiences for us to appreciate the "ooh's n ahh's" better.
Keep on cakin!!!

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 20

I am so sorry to hear of your frustrations, but your cake turned out amazing!

Jenni2383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni2383 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 20

It turned out very pretty, I always learn from every "first time cake". I haven't done a real wedding cake yet, so I love to read all the posts on here so I can maybe avoid some simple mistakes. Thanks for your "support".

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 20

Wow, sounds like you had an ordeal. But the cake turned out beautifully and you wouldn't know you had all those problems

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 20

I hate that you had a hard time but Goodness!!!! Your cake is beautiful!!!

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 20

Your cake is beautiful, you did an amazing job on it. I am sorry you had such a rough time but I know how you felt been there done that and don't wanta go back. But look at it this way maybe you got it all over with and everything will be smooth sailing down the road. Congrats on the cake it really is a beautiful cake.

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 20

Great job, it looks like it was painless(:

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 20

You did a great job!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 20

Your cake is so lovely! I never would have known that you had any problems with it!

Could you give me a link to or about the white chocolate recall? Isn't the Baker's brand made by Kraft?

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 20

It's a very beautiful cake. You did a great job.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 7:11pm
post #12 of 20

WOW! It turned out just GREAT ! CONGRATS on your first wedding cake !
Not a great experience, but a GREAT cake !

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

Your cake is so lovely! I never would have known that you had any problems with it!

Could you give me a link to or about the white chocolate recall? Isn't the Baker's brand made by Kraft?

THANK YOU all for your lovely compliments. I feel so relieved that it's over. I even had poor DH stressing and he's always the calm one. icon_redface.gif

Bijoudelanuit, here's the link to the recall notice. Yes, Bakers is made by Kraft. From now on, I'll use Ghiradelli because this experience left a sour taste in my mouth (no pun intended...). Besides, the cake itastes much more delicious with the Ghiradelli.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/kraft10_07.html

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 7:19pm
post #14 of 20

icon_biggrin.gif First I would like to say, YOUR CAKE WAS/IS AMAZING!!!! thumbs_up.gif

It seems to me that you were put through the wringer on this one. We all have our disasters, but you pulled yours off with grace. It all turned out beautiful. I'm just sorry that you had so much go wrong in the first place.

Your cake really turned out BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 7:22pm
post #15 of 20

WOW! Lovely cake. You would never have know by looking at it that you experienced so many problems. Way to Go! icon_surprised.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 7:26pm
post #16 of 20

I've read from a couple of different bakers that they prefer the taste of white chocolate candy melts over true white chocolate bars. Has anyone had experience with the candy melts?

So sorry about your cake fiasco! My brain does not function well under stress, either. You're certainly not the only one who drops things and burns food! icon_surprised.gif

The cake is absolutely beautiful.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:31pm
post #17 of 20

So sorry about all your littl disasters, but it least there wasnt one BIG disaster! Your cake is stunning! Is the whole thing covered and decorated in white chocolate? I bet it was delicious

arleban Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arleban Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 8:09pm
post #18 of 20

Wow. icon_eek.gif That cake is totally bad@ss! thumbs_up.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:17am
post #19 of 20

It certainly wasn't a disaster in the end.........it's georgeous!!!! thumbs_up.gif

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:39pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitomiriam

Bijoudelanuit, here's the link to the recall notice. Yes, Bakers is made by Kraft. From now on, I'll use Ghiradelli because this experience left a sour taste in my mouth (no pun intended...). Besides, the cake itastes much more delicious with the Ghiradelli.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/kraft10_07.html

Yikes...I had no idea about the White Chocolate. Gotta check that when I get home.

I agree about the Ghiradelli. I couldn't find Baker's once and bought 16 bars of the Ghir. white choc. Ymmmmm. Very smoothe.

FABULOUS cake :thumbsup:.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%