Wasc In High Altitude (Colorado)

Decorating By sbachorosk Updated 9 May 2013 , 2:32am by Elcee

sbachorosk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbachorosk Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 7

I'd like to try the WASC (White Almond Sour Cream Cake) since everyone raves about it. Has anyone baked this in high altitude? Did you need to make any adjustments?

6 replies
mom4kidsnm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom4kidsnm Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 7

I am in New Mexico at about 5200 feet elevation. I have made the WASC many times with no adjustments, and it has always worked well.

Emily

bluedragonfly_79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedragonfly_79 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 7

I think I depens on the recipe, I usually add 1T of flour to batter

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:33am
post #4 of 7

I'm in the Denver metro area and have made the WASC several time successfully with no modifications.

sbachorosk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbachorosk Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:36am
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone! I tried this without adjustments this week. For some reason my 8" x 3" cake fell. I split the recipe in half. After reading some other posts I may have beat it too long. My cupcakes turned out from the same batch. I'll have to try again sometime.

kmatray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmatray Posted 9 May 2013 , 2:07am
post #6 of 7

I'm at 8900' (Colorado) and, for some reason, have had results with only a half recipe, even using a cone or nails. 

Flour - add 3 Tbsp.

Sugar - decrease 2 Tbsp.

Water - increase by 1/4 cup

Careful to not over beat.

I lower the oven and bake it a little longer.

I use baking nails no matter what size pan.

If somebody figures this out for the full recipe, let me know! We lived on a CA beach before retiring and now converting all my recipes from 0' to 8900' is less than ego-building. 

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 9 May 2013 , 2:32am
post #7 of 7

Hi, sbachorosk, I'm right down the road from you! I bake mostly from scratch now but when used to use a WASC or cake mix extender I did the following:

1 18.25 cake mix (I don't know how to make it with the smaller mixes, as I haven't used it since before they "shrunk")

1 cup (less 2 tbs) sugar

1 1/4 cup flour (when making chocolate, 1 cup flour; 1/4 cup cocoa)

1/2 tsp salt

4 eggs

8 oz sour cream

1 tsp complementary flavored extract

whatever the liquid called for on the mix instructions (they're not all the same) PLUS 1 tbs of the water and 1 tbs of the oil

Like kmatray, I bake at a slightly lower temperature but start checking on the early side.

BTW, kmatray, I don't envy you baking at that altitude! I'm at just over 6000' and it's hard. It's taken me years to get my recipes worked out. There's a lot that just don't adjust, or at least I can't get them to adjust! I moved here from New England 16 years ago. Baking-wise, it was humbling, that's for sure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%