Spice Cake Pumpkin Extender

Baking By auntmamie Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 4:06am by fiddlesticks

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 48

Just wondering if anyone has a recipe for this - I'm thinking of taking a normal spice cake mix, replacing the egg with canned pumpkin, but am unsure of the chemical reaction (or whatever you would all like to call it). Any ideas?

47 replies
Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 48

I used the DH spice cake mix to make a sweet potato pound cake once. I left the egg in and drained the sweet potatoes. I've never used canned pumpkin - is it pureed? If so, I'd probably replace my liquid w/pumpkin spice coffee creamer or something like that but I don't think I would remove the eggs. Isn't that what 'binds' the cake? Hopefully, someone else will have more info. let us know how it works!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 48

NOT that I know anything about this, but I wouldn't replace the egg. Are you just wanting to make a spice cake into a pumpkin spice? Perhaps you could do the extended cake mix thing and add a cup sugar, cup of flour, 1 additional egg (than the mix calls for) and sub pumpkin for the liquid. Well something like that. This is off the top of my head because I don't want to go find the actual recipe (listed on this site). You also might need to add some additional spices too. This sounds real good, especially with cream cheese icing. I'll be watching for replys on this one!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnspice1981

Just wondering if anyone has a recipe for this - I'm thinking of taking a normal spice cake mix, replacing the egg with canned pumpkin, but am unsure of the chemical reaction (or whatever you would all like to call it). Any ideas?

I have one.. it is really good too:
Duncan Hines Spice cake mix
1 Tbls. Vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 cup water
1 cup solid pack Pumpkin

Combine cake mix, eggs, water and oil; beat at low speed till moistened. Beat at medium for 2 mins. Fold in pumpkin, pour into pans and bake according to package directions..

CakesByLJ Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 48

oops... I should have read more carefully... I missed the part about omiting the eggs.... are the eggs an alergy problem?

auntmamie Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 48

Nope, no allergy. Just a mistype - i'm watching tv, talking to my mother, and typing at the same time.

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 48

When I was on Weight Watchers we used the spice cake mix, added only the can of pumpkin, and baked it according to the box. Makes awesome muffins, but if you want to make a cake with it just add a tiny bit of water. Nothing else! Tastes great and has a nice dense, moist texture.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 48

How funny, when I was at dancing with my DD today someone was discussing this same recipe, but said they had heard to leave the eggs out. I wondered if the cake would rise without the eggs though. I know it's a bit off subject, but I did once do a carrot cake using the DH Cinnamon swirl before. Just added applesauce, carrots, and a bit of nutmeg (I don't like nuts in my cake so I didn't add any.) It was really good though.

KathleenR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenR Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 48

I have made this one before. I can't see why you couldn't use a spice mix with it. I may have to try this myself, yummy!

1 yellow cake mix
    1 cup of pumpkin
    1/2 cup milk
    1/3 cup oil
    4 large eggs
    1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, divided

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 48

Why is the pumpkin pie spice divided?

KathleenR Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 48

Sorry, that's a bad cut and paste job! For the cake it is only 1 tsp.
There is a cream cheese and whipped cream filling for it that the rest goes into.

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 48

Perfect timing--I was just thinking about this today. I have a pumpkin birthday cake to make plus Halloween deserts, and these recipes sound yummy!!

CarolAnn Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 48

Kathleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen, You're not just going to mention cream cheese and whipped cream filling and leave us all hanging are you??? That sounds too yummy not to share! Please!?!?

KathleenR Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 10:01pm
post #14 of 48

This recipe is from the Kraft website. It is their 'Luscious four layer pumpkin cake'. Let me tell you it is Luscious! I live for the day that I first see pumpkins in the grocery store so I can make this!

1 pkg. (250 g) Cream Cheese, softened
    1 cup icing sugar
2/3 c pumpkin
1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
    3 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
    1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
    1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans

Beat cream cheese in small bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add sugar, remaining pumpkin and remaining 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice; mix well. Stir in the whipped topping.
CUT each cake layer horizontally in half with serrated knife. Stack the layers on serving plate, spreading the cream cheese filling between layers. ( Do not frost top of cake.) Drizzle with caramel topping just before serving; sprinkle with the pecans.

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 12:46am
post #15 of 48

KathleenR,
My niece makes this cake all the time and I agree--IT IS TO DIE FOR!!

CarolAnn Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:09pm
post #16 of 48

Thank you!! Soo, this would also be great as a sheet cake with the caramel drizzled over the top of this icing. Yummy!!

KathleenR Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 11:25pm
post #17 of 48

I am gaining pounds as this post goes on!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 11:31pm
post #18 of 48

Boy oh boy, I have a friend who I make spice cakes for this time of year and these recipes are making me eager to get baking!! icon_biggrin.gif

weddingsbymindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weddingsbymindy Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:58pm
post #19 of 48

OOOOOOh all the spice pumpkin recipes got me thinking...... has anyone ever made ganache from butterscotch chips? My mom has always made oatmeal Scotches in the fall & I think butterscotch ganache would be great on a pumpkin cake!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 3:11pm
post #20 of 48

Wow. I'm so glad I came across this thread. I'm getting hungry just reading all of this.

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 3:22pm
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by weddingsbymindy

OOOOOOh all the spice pumpkin recipes got me thinking...... has anyone ever made ganache from butterscotch chips? My mom has always made oatmeal Scotches in the fall & I think butterscotch ganache would be great on a pumpkin cake!

Oh man, I'm getting a whole new respect for Homer Simpson's drooling over fabulous foods with comments like yours... icon_lol.gif

auntmamie Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 10:56am
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

1 Tbls. Vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 cup water
1 cup solid pack Pumpkin

Combine cake mix, eggs, water and oil; beat at low speed till moistened. Beat at medium for 2 mins. Fold in pumpkin, pour into pans and bake according to package directions..

Just wanted to give an update - I made this recipe on Sunday, frosted it with cream cheese icing that I added cinammon to (gave it a great color, BTW) and cut into 1" squares. I put the box out on the counter at work, and just put a "free cake" sign on it. It was gone in 15 minutes. And it was a huge hit. Everyone loved it.

Thanks CakesbyLJ

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:26am
post #23 of 48

I just made a heavenly pumpking spice wedding cake with crusting cream cheese icing........... Heres the recipe I used

1 spice cake mix (18.25 oz)
1 c canned pumpkin
1/2 cup veg oil
1 4oz instant vanilla pudding
3 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup water............
Plus, the cake extender........1 extra egg, 1 cup cake flour, 8 oz sour cream, 1 c sugar, 1/3 tsp popcorn salt (or reg salt), 1 extra tsp vanilla.

Man was it super moist. Bakes more like a cake than a bar, perfect for stacking if you need to.

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:09pm
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztomcat

I just made a heavenly pumpking spice wedding cake with crusting cream cheese icing........... Heres the recipe I used

1 c canned pumpkin
1/2 cup veg oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Plus, the cake extender........1 extra egg, 1 cup cake flour, 8 oz sour cream, 1 c sugar, 1/3 tsp popcorn salt (or reg salt), 1 extra tsp vanilla.

Man was it super moist. Bakes more like a cake than a bar, perfect for stacking if you need to.

Could you share your recipe for the crusting cream cheese recipe?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:36pm
post #25 of 48
Quote:

1 c canned pumpkin
1/2 cup veg oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon

How many cups of batter did you get from this? Or, how many cakes did it make for you?
TIA!

MandyBs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyBs Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:39pm
post #26 of 48

This is the pumpkin sheet cake recipe I have been using for years. It was a Taste of Home recipe and is very moist. It's easier than using any box mixes - just put everything is the mixer, pour it into the pan and bake! icon_biggrin.gif Don't expect any leftovers!

Pumpkin Sheet Cake

1 can pumpkin (16 oz)
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a mixing bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, and oil. Add eggs, mix well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, add to pumpkin mixture and beat until well blended. Pour into a greased 15x10 baking pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Frosting
1 3oz package cream cheese
5 tablespoons butter softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
3-4 teaspoons milk

Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add sugar. Add milk for desired consistency. Sprinkle with nuts. 20 -24 servings

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:05pm
post #27 of 48

[quote="Teekakes"]

Quote:

How many cups of batter did you get from this? Or, how many cakes did it make for you?
TIA!

The recipe makes about 7.5 cups of batter. I will post the icing recipe later when I get home.

Dee Anne/aztomcat

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:40pm
post #28 of 48

Thanks! Will be watching for the icing recipe! icon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:00pm
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnspice1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

1 Tbls. Vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 cup water
1 cup solid pack Pumpkin

Just wanted to give an update - I made this recipe on Sunday, frosted it with cream cheese icing that I added cinammon to (gave it a great color, BTW) and cut into 1" squares. I put the box out on the counter at work, and just put a "free cake" sign on it. It was gone in 15 minutes. And it was a huge hit. Everyone loved it.

Thanks CakesbyLJ

You are welcome sugarnspice1981; I am ready to bake this one up myself.. I love the Fall weather, and it's perfect for this cake..

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:41pm
post #30 of 48

Found a recipe yesterday for pumpkin brownies ... sounds yummy ... and easy!!

1 (18.25 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
1 (15 ounce) can 100% pure pumpkin

Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Using hand mixer, mix the two ingredients until all lumps are removed. Batter with be thick. Pour into baking dish and spread evenly. Bake according to directions on cake mix package.

I've got to go get some pumpkin!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%