Piping On Fondant

Decorating By prettysweet Updated 6 Oct 2007 , 10:27pm by Shaela

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 3

I was just reading another post in which the decorator was asking what she should use to pipe a logo on a fondant cake....RI or bc. I was wondering about that myself because I just finished plating a tray of anniversary cookies decorated in fondant with Antonio's icing (which is just about the same as RI) and I noticed some of the icing was chipping off. For this tray it isn't that much of an issue but I certainly wouldn't want to have to be packaging them individually and using them as favors. All that would certainly cause a lot of breakage.
What did I do wrong? I don't really use a lot of fondant now for cakes but I love the look of fondant with all the inticate piping. How do you accomplish that without the chipping.

2 replies
cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 3

Can't help you out with cookies, I don't do them, but I do use RI on my fondant cakes all the time. I've done a lot of intricate work, and have never had a problem with it chipping. Now if it gets bumped or hits anything, sure it will break off or chip. But bagging cookies I don't think it would be a problem. Buttercream will smear.

Shaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaela Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 3

I agree buttercream will smear... RI works best for piping... though I have used pre-made decorators icing and that will harden ok... Wilton makes a white decorators and a chocolate one... they both harden but takes a day or two... where as RI hardens much quicker...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%