Color Chart / Mixing Icing Colors

Decorating By kellertur Updated 9 Oct 2007 , 7:59pm by arleban

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 2:50am
post #1 of 14

Can anyone please send me info about mixing icing colors (gel)?
I have a firm grasp of color theory/color wheel, but when it comes to icing, I don't know how much to add, etc... Is there a list or chart out there?

I have several decorating books, and they all just state which colors to mix together, not ratios of icing to color paste, etc.

Thanks

13 replies
Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 14

I'm not the best when it comes to color, but the following charts may help you out:

http://baking911.com/decorating/tinting.htm

http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/tips/colorchart.php

Good Luck

kellertur Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 14

thank you so much

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks, I need this too.

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 14

You're welcome. Hope it helps.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 14

That is a great link. I've saved it for future ref. Sounds way better than my experimental tactics that I usually use! icon_lol.gif

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 14

Ok...maybe I'm dense... But what is a PART when you are using Gel color? icon_confused.gif I have only used a toothpick to add color to icing, and I can't get a grip on what is a Part... Was trying to get to gold the other day...came out with orange...laughing...but it worked for what I was doing... A little more direction would be nice. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Pat

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbennett_8

Ok...maybe I'm dense... But what is a PART when you are using Gel color? icon_confused.gif I have only used a toothpick to add color to icing, and I can't get a grip on what is a Part... Was trying to get to gold the other day...came out with orange...laughing...but it worked for what I was doing... A little more direction would be nice. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Pat

To me in this case a part is a drop. So if I needed one part A to two parts B to equal C, I would start with one drop A, add two drops B and see what my color is, then adjust from there. In other cases I've always seen Parts as equal amounts. I have an icing recipe that calls for 10 parts dry ingredient to one part liquid. So if I use 1/4 Cup for my "part" then it's 2 1/2 Cups dry to 1/4 Cup liquid. Hope that made sense! icon_biggrin.gif

plbennett_8 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 14

Well...that would make perfect sense if I was using Liquid food coloring...but, i'm using Gel Food coloring and a toothpick to put it into the icing... So how do I translate that??? laughing...

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 14

One blop (aka toothpick swipe) equals one part! icon_lol.gif

plbennett_8 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 11:35pm
post #11 of 14

Giggle...I was afraid of that... Thanks! icon_smile.gif I will try...maybe next time I will actually get gold instead of orange... Practice, practice, practice...

kellertur Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:48pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks everyone icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for the site I have always just done trial and error. But now I have something to go by.

Autumn

arleban Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arleban Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 14

Oh yay! No (at least less) guesswork for colors. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%