I Have Hundreds Of Peanut Butter Balls To Make! Help! ???

Sugar Work By Ishi Updated 14 Dec 2006 , 7:05am by mom2csc

Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 5:08am
post #1 of 20

I make PB balls every year for my hubby's coworkers and my little boy's teachers and bus drivers, so I end up making hundreds, literally. Anyway, my question is this- can I roll these now and stick them in the freezer? I plan on dipping them next weekend. Should I dip them while they are frozen or will that cause a problem. In previous years I have used just regular choc. chips and the chocolate as always seemed to thin when I dipped them so this year I bought guittard chocolate a'peels (I think they are just like candy melts, not sure). Is this a good choice? Soory about all the questions, I just want them to turn out perfect this year. They've always been good but I just want to step it up a bit. Thanks!

19 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 5:12am
post #2 of 20

Hey, my cousin and I make approx. 350 peanut butter balls in addition to, like, 200 lbs of OTHER candies! LOLL Freezing the candy shouldn't hurt it at all as long as you triple wrap it. You can also dip them while frozen, no problem. At least WE have never had a problem. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!! I KNOW we will. Candy Days coming up this week!

Beth in KY

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 5:34am
post #3 of 20

Hi Ishi ... here in Ohio, we call chocolate-dipped peanut butter balls "buckeyes", and boy, are they YUMMY!!! I get orders for them often, and I always freeze them ahead of time. I find that they are much easier to dip in the melted chocolate when they are frozen. So, you should be just fine! icon_smile.gif

P.S. - I see that you love "Elf", too! That is one of my all-time favorite holiday movies! I just love Will Ferrell!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 5:49am
post #4 of 20

What are these "peanut butter balls" you speak of?

bethola Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

Hi Ishi ... here in Ohio, we call chocolate-dipped peanut butter balls "buckeyes", and boy, are they YUMMY!!! I get orders for them often, and I always freeze them ahead of time. I find that they are much easier to dip in the melted chocolate when they are frozen. So, you should be just fine! icon_smile.gif

P.S. - I see that you love "Elf", too! That is one of my all-time favorite holiday movies! I just love Will Ferrell!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

"Buddy The Elf....what's your favorite color?" MY FAV Christmas Line!!

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 20

I also freeze and then dip. I freeze the leftovers when I have an order for them too ( not dipped of course).
ELF is my all time Favorite Christmas movie too. My dh is always making fun of me..LOL

Ishi Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 5:38am
post #7 of 20

Thanks for the responses! Great to see so many Elf fans out there! It has now surpassed my former favorite Christmas movie, A Christmas Story, for the number 1 spot! I still love them both but Elf is just so hilarious!

Bethola- I love that line, too! I think I will answer the phone like that tomorrow just for kicks.

Anyway, about the PB balls. They are rolled and frozen, now. But here's a question- is your PB dough pretty sticky and soft when you roll it? It rolled up pretty well but it was a bit messy. Do you guys have the same experience? Did I not add enough powdered sugar? It tastes great and they are really solid now that they are in the freezer so it shouldn't be a problem dipping them. Just curious what y'alls experience is.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 5:53am
post #8 of 20

These sound good. Are they peanutbutter cake balls??

Ishi Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 5:56am
post #9 of 20

Kay- they are actually peanut butter, butter, and powdered sugar, mixed up then rolled into balls and dipped in chocolate. They are to die for!!! Just like reese's cups but better!

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 6:00am
post #10 of 20

I would love your recipe. If you would like to share you could PM me if you don't want it all over. They sounds AWESOME. And my family and friends would love them.

Ishi Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 6:18am
post #11 of 20

Sure! This one's no secret. I use this recipe that I found on Recipezaar. In fact, you'll see the feedback I left last year under the name Mama's Apprentice. It's really yummy. As I say in the feedback, you may need to add a bit more powdered sugar than what is called for. Here's to your first PB balls!

http://www.recipezaar.com/73503

I'm sure your family will thank you!!!

bethola Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishi

Thanks for the responses! Great to see so many Elf fans out there! It has now surpassed my former favorite Christmas movie, A Christmas Story, for the number 1 spot! I still love them both but Elf is just so hilarious!

Bethola- I love that line, too! I think I will answer the phone like that tomorrow just for kicks.

Anyway, about the PB balls. They are rolled and frozen, now. But here's a question- is your PB dough pretty sticky and soft when you roll it? It rolled up pretty well but it was a bit messy. Do you guys have the same experience? Did I not add enough powdered sugar? It tastes great and they are really solid now that they are in the freezer so it shouldn't be a problem dipping them. Just curious what y'alls experience is.

Are you my "long lost twin" or what? I drive my family and friends CRAZY watching 24 hours of a Christmas Story every Christmas!!!! Actually Ralphie looks like my oldest son when he was a little boy and even has the same "lisp"! But, I digress! This thread is about peanut butter balls and I have to get "psyched up" to do my 300 on Friday!

Beth in KY

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 20

I had an idea, Thake three peanut butter balls in graduated sizes, staked on top of each other dipped in white choclate, add prettzal pieces for arms , possibly something for a hat, fondant scarf, and draw faces with edible markers or RI and make snowmen . You would probably have to secure them w/ a skewer or toothpick. You could make a display with coconut snow. Do you all think this would work. Also if you need to cut the sugar for dibetics or whaterver powedered milk instead of sugar or for part of the sugar works great and tasted good too. I like them this way best and it seems a little more nutrtitious too.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 20

I make a "log" of the peanut butter filling and then freeze it or cut it and roll them--makes it a little faster then scooping and rolling. They will be fine frozen and then dipped. I have to make those, salted nut rolls, peanut brittle, penuche, toffee, ect so it is busy here too. We make as much as we can ahead of time and yes freeze some of it. As long as its wrapped well you can't tell it spent time frozen.

bethola Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 8:14pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyleigh

I had an idea, Thake three peanut butter balls in graduated sizes, staked on top of each other dipped in white choclate, add prettzal pieces for arms , possibly something for a hat, fondant scarf, and draw faces with edible markers or RI and make snowmen . You would probably have to secure them w/ a skewer or toothpick. You could make a display with coconut snow. Do you all think this would work. Also if you need to cut the sugar for dibetics or whaterver powedered milk instead of sugar or for part of the sugar works great and tasted good too. I like them this way best and it seems a little more nutrtitious too.

You can also put Splenda in a blender/food processor to make it "sugar free powdered sugar!" Then dip it in sugar free dark chocolate melts. Um Um GOOD for those that need to watch the sugar intake. I make sugar free candy for a friend every year and while it's NOT EXACTLY like the regular candy....it IS a great treat for people who must live a near sugar free life!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 5:52am
post #16 of 20

Here's my recipe for buckeyes (chocolate-dipped peanut butter balls):

18 oz. peanut butter (creamy or crunchy, whichever you prefer)
1 pound powdered sugar
1/4 pound butter (or margarine)

Blend ingredients together (I use my KA mixer and it works great --- I wouldn't recommend mixing by hand!! icon_eek.gif ). Roll into chestnut-sized balls. Chill for 1 hour or longer (or put in freezer if you need them to chill more quickly).

Melt 12 ounces of chocolate chips and a small chunk of paraffin wax (optional - this helps firm up the chocolate once it cools on the pb balls) in a double boiler. Spear chilled pb balls with toothpicks and dip about 3/4 of the way into the chocolate. Let them firm up on wax paper. Remove toothpicks and smooth out toothpick hole with your finger.

Enjoy!! icon_smile.gif

NOTE: The full recipe makes about 70-75 buckeyes, so you can halve or quarter (or third) the recipe if you don't need to make that many.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 6:01am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdgirl

I make a "log" of the peanut butter filling and then freeze it or cut it and roll them--makes it a little faster then scooping and rolling.

I have a similar technique--I pat the peanut butter "dough" into a rectangle, and then cut it into cubes, which can then be rolled into balls.

I have modified the traditional recipe, to add various things. Usual add-ins include crushed graham crackers, chopped Girardhelli chocolate, finely cut raisins, or finely chopped dried apricots. (I usually make several batches, and give people an assortiment.)

Yummy!

RedPanda

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 6:30am
post #18 of 20

You all just reminded me that I have about 12 dozen to make next week too. Yummy Yummy!!!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 6:43am
post #19 of 20

I'm going to make peanut butter cups rather then the balls this year. I know it will take longer to do them but to add the peanut butter mixture I will pipe them into the cups of chocolate then fill up with more chocolate to cover.

I'm making both milk chocolate and white chocolate cups.

mom2csc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2csc Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 7:05am
post #20 of 20

the recipe i found on this site adds crushed rice crispies , YUMMY icon_lol.gif

I've started dipping with a spoon instead of poking with a toothpick and haven't have any problems with cracking or oozing.

I also refreeze these after dipping and had no problems with them. Now I'm going to dip put in a container and use a food saver bag around it (so they don't crack from the pressure of the lack of air.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%