What Do You Consider "acceptable Flaws" ? (See Pi

Business By crazy4sugar Updated 9 Oct 2007 , 7:55pm by crazy4sugar

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 48

I'm new at this, and I'm also a bit of a perfectionist. So, I sit here looking at my first tiered cake and say "Wow, that really sucks...it looked so much better in my mind." Please take a look at the photo below.

I know each cake has some flaws, but mine has quite a few. Please tell me...how do I know what's an acceptable flaw and what's not? Is it a gut feeling? When do I call a cake a complete loss and start over? Should I do that here?

Specifically, as you can see, with this cake I have these problems:

1. First layer: the fondant job is horrific. I couldn't roll a piece big enough for the 14" square so I covered the sides and then the top with panels of fondant.

2. Middle Tier: I have a few small spots of cracked fondant and there's a bit of "cake cellulite" on one side.

3. Top Tier: I had a perfect cake to start with, done with a ruler and squared, but I didn't chill the IMBC long enough and my fondant weighed it down when the icing softened. Also, I have the four panels instead of one piece of fondant because I wanted a gift box look. Now the square looks awful.

Please give me some genuine advice and constructive criticism!! I still have time to re-do the first square layer (and possibly the top tier as well), so..... please, please don't sugar coat your suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
LL

47 replies
crazy4sugar Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 48

I guess I should add that the first tier has a perfect finish to the fondant, very smooth, but the decorations make it look wonky. The bow looks great in person, very shiny icon_smile.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 48

Well it depends on what the cake is for. Overall, it looks very cute.

If it is for friends and family, it is perfectly acceptable. They would be delighted with a very cute cake.

If you were selling this, it is definitely below standards of a professional decorator.

A couple of tips:
Meringue buttercream needs to be quite thin to prevent sagging under fondant. If you are cutting the sides and top when you can't roll it all in one piece, you need very sharp, strong edges to help the seams be straight.

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 48

Ok, brace yourself. I think your cake is very pretty. I like the colors and the use of different shapes for the cake. I think you are your own worst critic, I think all of my cakes are train wrecks, but other people seem to think they're neat... Maybe I know what I want in my head and how far off the actual cake is from that image.

But, you said you wanted honest opinions and constructive criticism, so here it goes, HONESTLY:

Tier 1: I think it would worked out better if you could have rolled the fondant large enough. You don't say why you couldn't roll it big enough, do you not have the space? Card table. Is your rolling pin not big enough? I just use a regular one and am careful towards the end not to leave giant rolling marks in the fondant. Problem with moving it? I roll it up around my rolling pin half way, then drape over half the cake and unroll the rolled up half. I have a wilton Fun with Fondant mat that is great-fondant won't stick, and it has the built in measurements printed on it so you know how big to roll.

Tier 2: Looks wonderful and beautiful to me, if you find a crack that you don't want, use RI to fill it in and cover with decorations. I don't know what cake cellulite is, but I'm assuming it's rippley fondant, smooth it a little more, and make sure the cake underneath is smooth before putting the fondant on.

Tier 3: I think the 4 panels look good, very box-y. The front right panel looks a little less than straight, did you use a ruler for the fondant? If not, then use a ruler to cut out straight strips, and to make sure the strips get on the cake straight. Duff uses what looks like blue painters tape on his stuff to make sure it's straight...

I, personally, could NEVER make a cake look as good as this one, but I aspire to someday! thumbs_up.gif

crazy4sugar Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 48

KrazyKat and JoAnn,

Thank you for the replys!

Yes, this is a family cake BUT it's a PAID cake!

I rolled the fondant for the 14" into a 22" square (14 across plus two 4 inch sides)..it was simply too big to be moved without tearing, stretching, etc. I bought Satin Ice for this project. I first rolled to 1/4 " with a bit of criso, and that's when the fondant was too stretchy and tore. Second time was with a bit of powdered sugar, but it got little cracks all over.

When I cut the four side panels, and one top panel, they stretched and now it seems they are uneven. I used a ruler for cutting.

My instinct tells me to do the first tier again, so I'll start there.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, and will I get better at this? Are these just amature mistakes?

krazykat_14 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 48

OF COURSE you'll get better! Everyone has to start somewhere, that's where I am now... some day when I grow up, I want to be able to make cakes like Colette Peters or Bronwen Weber... but I still have a crush on Duff Goldman... hehehe icon_redface.gif

crazy4sugar Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 48

Thanks Krazykat!

Anyone else...advice...suggestions....

please?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 48

For large pieces of fondant I always use a rolling mat (clear plastic fabric) for the craft or sewing store. If you put just a bit of shortening on the mat, roll out the fondant, it will stick to the plastic. then, lift the plastic and flip it over the cake (an extra pair of hands helps). the plastic lifts off without tearing.

As for the sides, you can do the same thing using smaller pieces of mat, press the cut piece against the cake, the peel off the plastic. It will help preserve the nice cut lines.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 48

VERY CUTE CAKE!

love the colors!

myself, i like to do the wedding cakes with as much precision as i possibly can.

i'm alot easier on myself for stacked birthday cakes.

do you watch ace of cakes?....he gets $$$$$...and alot of the cakes that come out of there have flaws...(unless geoff does them ha ha)

there was a german shepard cake with a huge crack in the back that went out of there...that i would have grieved over for days if it left my shop like that.

crazy4sugar Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 48

Okay...whew...I redid them! Third times the charm, I say. They look soooooooo much better! thumbs_up.gif (see below)

I did just what you said JoAnn: I used the plastic mat, rolled it, and flipped it onto the cake. I also took Krazykat's suggestion and did it on a card table because my counter was cramping my style, ya know?

Here are the 2 same two cakes covered in new fondant. I'll post the final pic when I finish decorating them. The middle tier was actually good when I took a second look, so I left it alone.

Littlecake: When I'm as famous as Duff I won't worry about flaws becuase they'll just be considered part of my "quirky charm!" icon_razz.gif Until then, I'll keep trying until I get my cakes to be flawless as humanly possible.
LL

crazy4sugar Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 12:09am
post #11 of 48

New bottom tier, new decorations icon_smile.gif
LL

crazy4sugar Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 12:58am
post #12 of 48

Here's the new top tier. I didn't like the swirl roller look, so I just went with the "gift box with bow" look. Although the photo isn't the best quality, the one piece of fondant over the 8" square is very smooth.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I'll post a photo of the whole cake tomorrow when I assemble it at the party.

party.gif[/b]
LL

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 1:16am
post #13 of 48

Woww! Well done -- you did a great re-do on this cake. It looked neat to begin with, but now it's getting that more "polished" look to it! Wonderful job!

S.

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 1:18am
post #14 of 48

I had to laugh when you said that it did not look like what you had in you mind.

Shoot, in my mind Duff is an amatuer!!!!!! lol. When I talk to my friends I always say---in my fantasy mind then I explain the cake. When I am done--you can see my reality mind in my photos.

You just keep trying. I like your second cake. Looks so much cleaner.

Lu.

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 1:23am
post #15 of 48

Those look so good. Please post the assembled cake so we can see, when you are done of course. You did a great job on the first try and a fabulous job on the last one. Congrats!

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 1:45am
post #16 of 48

I think it looks so much better. It didn't look horrible to begin with but overall it was a great improvement. I do want to ask though how do you make your bows because they look so real?? Mine always end up so rounded inside. What do you put inside to hold it's shape??

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 1:46am
post #17 of 48

Looks much better now. The more you use fondant the better you will get, it just takes time and lots of practice. You did a fantastic job!! thumbs_up.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 1:47am
post #18 of 48

Good for you for asking these questions...I've always wanted to know what was acceptable.

Your recovered cakes look fantastic...can't wait to see them all together again!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 2:05pm
post #19 of 48

Beautifully redone and may I say your colors are gorgeous!!! Please post the finished cake!!! PWEEETYYYY PWEEASE icon_biggrin.gif

krazykat_14 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:44pm
post #20 of 48

Ah, they're BEAUTIFUL!!! See, I told you that you'd get better!!! And it didn't take years of practice, just one do-over and you're amazing! Just think how cool you'll be this time next year! See, Duff don't have squat on you! ...but he's still got the prettiest brown eyes... *sigh*

Great Job! I knew you could do it!!!{{hugs!}}

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:55pm
post #21 of 48

Wow, nice work on fixing the cake. I agreed with you, the middle tier was fine but I also thought you needed to redo the top and bottom. You did a wonderful job redoing them.
Good Work! I can't wait to see it assembled.

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 8:06pm
post #22 of 48

DITTO! Great job on the Re-Do! thumbs_up.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 8:17pm
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssunshine564

Looks much better now. The more you use fondant the better you will get, it just takes time and lots of practice. You did a fantastic job!! thumbs_up.gif

I agree. It's all about practice, practice, practice. (I'm still evolving!) The original cake wasn't horrible. But from what I can tell in the new pics, it's a great improvement. I can't wait to see the entire newly finished product!!

meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 11:57pm
post #24 of 48

If its for family, they will be happy, but when I do a cake and it is for a paying client, then I always make sure you cant see any flaws. You have to ask yourself.... would you be happy if someone brought you a cake w/ lots of mistakes? Would you pay that much and be happy with it? Your second cake looks great! I'm glad you re-did it. icon_smile.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 12:17am
post #25 of 48

I am duly impressed!!

You recognized that your first effort had issues..asked questions and corrected your "flaws"

Nicely done!!! thumbs_up.gif

crazy4sugar Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 2:27am
post #26 of 48

I really cannot thank you all enough for the wonderful words of encouragement! Wow, I'm truly touched by your kindness.

Well...okay, about the cake. Here it is.

It was delivered this morning and they were very happy. The Bat Mitzvah girl said "That's my cake!!" She designed it in her favoite pink/yellow colors and shapes.

Unfortunately, as you can see from the dent in top tier, I pushed in one side (oops icon_eek.gif ) while trying to adjust it, line it up, make it look...ironically... perfect. Okay, now I know: don't touch anything after you get it as perfect as it will ever be!
LL
LL

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 2:43am
post #27 of 48

Your redo came out gorgeous! See, all you need is a few little tricks and some confidence! Great job!
Very professional looking!

crazy4sugar Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 2:44am
post #28 of 48

Cyndi,

I made the bow in the usual way: take a long piece of fondant and fold in the two ends toward the middle, pinch it together, and dry. I used plastic wrap inside the loops to prop them up some, but not too much. Feel free to PM me if you need step by step directions icon_smile.gif

lb_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lb_cake Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 2:52am
post #29 of 48

Just beautiful! Great job!!! thumbs_up.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 2:59am
post #30 of 48

crazy4sugar, did you use fondant and gumpaste for the bow or just one? Its beautiful and so is the whole cake, but I really have a prob with bows! Never have got one right!
Linda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%