So I'm Standing In The Aisle At Wal-Mart Trying Not To Cry..

Lounge By cakescraps Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 7:32pm by thems_my_kids

cakescraps Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 46

because out of the hundreds ( or so it seems) of feminine products, not a single one is appropriate for a 10-year old. My DD started her period yesterday.

I'm glad we had already talked about it, as she seems to be developing early, but I was still a little shocked. She is handling it great, though.

45 replies
fem128 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 46

Oh I know exactly what you are going through. My daughter got her's when she was 9! It's tougher for us than it is on them. Hang in there.

LaSombra Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 46

Why aren't they appropriate? I don't really understand...It's been a while since I was that age and I have all boys.

Steffen74 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 46

Yeah - I got mine when I was 10 and that was the worst year of my life!!! I think I was the only one in my class, but I can't be sure because I just didn't tell anyone. My heart goes out to your daughter - I have a feeling it's more common now to get it earlier than it was in 1984, but still it's no fun.

Oh, and by the way, I had to start using tampons pretty quickly to get through gymnastics and ballet recitals, and I turned out fine icon_smile.gif

cakescraps Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 46

I guess part of it, is the not wanting your 10-year old to have to deal with that. And nothing is really made for younger girls. I ended up getting her ultra thin pads in "slender" and they are still big.

I don't really think she is ready for tampons yet. She knows what they are, and she was not too crazy about the idea.

jen1977 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 46

If you do try tampons, try starting wiht OB first. The yare smaller and easier to insert for younger girls. I was 15 and it was the only kind I could use. There's no applicator and the yaren't very wide.

LaSombra Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakescraps

I guess part of it, is the not wanting your 10-year old to have to deal with that. And nothing is really made for younger girls. I ended up getting her ultra thin pads in "slender" and they are still big.

I don't really think she is ready for tampons yet. She knows what they are, and she was not too crazy about the idea.

I understand...well, would the carefree pads be enough for her? Those are pretty small. I can't imagine she'd have a very heavy period yet but then, I didn't start mine until I was 13 and still don't recall if it was heavy or not, since I didn't really have anything to compare it to at the time.

yes, this must be difficult for the both of you. *hugs*

tracycakes Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 12:59am
post #8 of 46

I feel for your daughter, I was 10 also and happened to be staying with my grandmother that hadn't had a period in 30 years! My mom wouldn't let me try tampons for several years but I hated and still hate pads. Just get the smaller pads and teach her to change them often.

Sending best wishes to your daughter and congrats on becoming a woman!

shelbur10 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 5:59am
post #9 of 46

My condolences to you...it's hard to let your little girl grow up!! Congratulations to her on "becoming a woman"!
I was 11 when I started and most of my friends were around the same age, 10-12.
Most pediatricians recommend having the "talk" when they're about 7, so girls must be starting earlier now.
Maybe you could just buy a couple small boxes of different kinds and see what works best for her. When I started, my mom just gave me the pads that she used, which I HATED. She never really gave me an opportunity to experiment with different kinds. Of course, there wasn't quite the same variety back in the mid 80s.
I don't want to be too graphic, but if she would like to try tampons at some point, probably the most important advice you could give her is to demonstrate the proper angle when inserting. I had the very devil of a time figuring out how to make the darn things work. Makes me feel awfully stupid now. icon_redface.gif But I was pretty much on my own, I didn't have the kind of mom who I could talk to about those things.

michellenj Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 46

I started my period when I was 11, and didn't have the kind of relationship where I could discuss things with my mom. I just stole feminine products from her. How does your daughter feel about it? Do any of her friends have their period yet?

Toniprev Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 46

wow... my daughter is 7 and I can't really comprehend talking to her about periods yet. She has asked what tampons are for when she has come across them in the bathroom... I told her they were for mummy, and I would explain when she was older.. and thankfully she let it rest there. My 3y.o. son thinks they are suppositories I think... because here in Italy that is a common way to give meds to children.

I have heard that 11 is the average age these days for girls to get their periods. I am a twin and got mine before my sister. I had to suffer awful, rivolting pads before tampons........ by the time she got hers... she went straight to tampons. I thought this was somewhat unfair!!! I dread this happening to my daughter actually... they grow too quickly as it is!!

shelbur10 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toniprev

wow... my daughter is 7 and I can't really comprehend talking to her about periods yet.

I know what you mean, my DD just turned 8 and I had the talk with her, and while we were at it I went ahead and told her all the facts of life (in an age appropriate way, of course). Up until now she thought you just had to be married and pray for a baby to get one. The timing seemed right, as a close, unmarried friend is having an unplanned baby with her boyfriend, another close friend of the family.
As I mentioned, my mom never talked about these things with my sister and I, I recently found out that when my sis started that she really thought she was dying because she had no idea what was happening.
I figure just in case DD starts early I want her to understand what's happening to her body. She was very matter of fact about it, and honestly couldn't care less, once I assured her that it doesn't hurt. At the end of the talk when I asked if she had any other questions, she asked my why sometimes my ankles creak after I work out. Either she wasn't paying attention, or she really had no questions. icon_lol.gif I guess it really depends on your comfort level and the girl's development/maturity. My decision was influenced by the lack of communication with my mom, so I figured if we start talking early before it's so embarrassing for her, maybe she will always feel comfortable coming to me with questions.

Oh man, I just realized that I'm hijacking the thread. icon_surprised.gif I'm sorry. icon_cry.gif

LaSombra Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:14pm
post #13 of 46

well, if nothing else, this thread is making me feel better about not having any girls (I have 3 boys). I will have to have "the talk" with my boys when they start dating but at least I won't have to go through this...

Cakerer Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 3:15am
post #14 of 46

I remember standing in front of those products for a long time myself. I got my first one the morning of a field trip w/school. Yep, you read that right. Guess what, my mom had a hysterectomy long b4 that time so guess what was in the bathroom - those LONG awful maternity pads she got from the hospital. THATS what I had to use the first day!!!! She didn't want me to use tampons b/c they were labeled as 'unsafe' back then so I just started buying them myself and putting them down in the box of pads to hide from her (some of my friends used tampons) and I preferred them. I don't have one anymore thanks to an IUD! Best of luck to you and your daughter.

1nanette Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 3:35am
post #15 of 46

I got mine when I was 11. That was in 1977 and at that time they still made belts and pads with no adhesive that you use with belts icon_eek.gif . Dont cry. I know its early but its not uncommon now.

darandon Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 1:09pm
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nanette

I got mine when I was 11. That was in 1977 and at that time they still made belts and pads with no adhesive that you use with belts icon_eek.gif . Dont cry. I know its early but its not uncommon now.

My mom didn't get me the belt to use with my "monster pads" in 77. she told me to use a safety pin and just pin it to my underware. Have you ever had a safety pin come unhooked??? icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

Thank goodness my 14 year old (who started 2 years ago) has mini pads and such to use.

michellenj Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 4:46pm
post #17 of 46

Has she read Are you there God, It's Me, Margaret? That taught me everything I needed to know. icon_rolleyes.gif

darandon Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:08pm
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Has she read Are you there God, It's Me, Margaret? That taught me everything I needed to know. icon_rolleyes.gif

Another GREAT book is in the American Girl books called "The caring and keeping of me" It is an owners manual for a girls body. The best book ever. Everything and I mean every thing that happens to a girls body is discussed at a level that girls understand. It answers questions that sometimes they don't want to ask.

mbelgard Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:09pm
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

well, if nothing else, this thread is making me feel better about not having any girls (I have 3 boys). I will have to have "the talk" with my boys when they start dating but at least I won't have to go through this...

Me too. icon_lol.gif

One of the guys my husband works with got a call when his daughter was in 4th grade so she was 9. She wanted to know if she could take a shower because there was blood in her underwear. I felt so bad for this girl because her dad tells everyone everything and even if she didn't know that everyone knew all the mechanics, body guys and stuff at this car dealership knew that she'd gotten her period. Girls are often embarassed enough by it that they don't want all of dad's work buddies knowing. icon_rolleyes.gif

JRAE33 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 5:13pm
post #20 of 46

I started when I was 10 and I just used the same pads she used. I didn't have a problem with the size of them. Besides, if they are a little big that might be okay...could possibly save her from an embarrassing leak?! When I started, mine were very heavy and I needed to constantly change. When I started mine I was the only one of my friends...none of my other friends started for a year or so after me. I hated it, but I didn't feel comfortable talking to my mom.

m0use Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 6:08pm
post #21 of 46

I started when I was 11 I think....I remember learning about the femine things in life in 4th grade at school....there are slender pads out there that state 'made for teens' or 'perfect for teens' that I use, plus the light flow slender tampons are good to use.

sarahnichole975 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #22 of 46

I think I just started to have a panic attack. My lil sweetie is almost 8 and I'm just so not ready for all of this with her. That being said, I have noticed that there are more products for younger girls now. But maybe you could use a pantyliner for her, especially for lighter days.

Also, an aside to those of you with young daughters, a good friend of mine in the medical profession recently told me that, especially for our little girls, it's a good idea to switch to organic milk and eggs and free range chicken. The hormones that are given to cows and chickens have a lot to do with why our girls are developing so much quicker at younger ages. I've switched as much as I can find it and am considering shopping at Whole Foods (even though it's across town from me!)

cakes80 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:47am
post #23 of 46

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who didn't tell her mom when it happened. I was 12 and it was months before my older sister discovered I had gotten it and told me how to properly take care of things. Than she told my mom.

Good luck to you with your young woman. I'm sure the two of you will find the best product for her. Maybe let her try a few different products and see what works the best. Mine were heavy from the get go.

shelbur10 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:45am
post #24 of 46

I don't have any supplies in the house because I have an IUD (no periods)...am I the only crazy person who thinks that when my dd gets around 10 or so, I should not only have supplies in the house, but maybe give her a pad to carry in her purse "just in case"?
I know, I'm a little neurotic about it.

cholmberg Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:08am
post #25 of 46

My daughter is four and knows all about it. I'm pretty open and frank with her. She found my stash and asked what they were for (no honey they aren't stickers), insisted on seeing how they work (this wasn't in all those books about becoming a mom!) and seems totally at ease with the subject.
Which is what I want. My mom never breathed a word to me, although I knew it would happen from reading books and friends. It took me weeks to get up the courage to even tell her it had happend (I called my aunt, whom I was very close to). To this day I can't really talk to my mother about personal issues. I'm trying to make sure my daughter knows it's no big deal, and she knows it'll happen to her 'when she's bigger'. I want a better relationship with her than I had/have with my mom. I started when I was 12, so I'd expect around the same of her. I think that's about the most common age in our family, from asking around.

Soooooo, the other day she came out with that 'Cat that ate the canary' look, giggling at me. When I finally got her to confess, she had one of my panty liners put (perfectly!) in her underwear. She would not let me take it out! I was torn between lmao and chagrin. So I figured it was better to make NBD out of it and let it go. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I have not however, gone into the subject of tampons with her and won't for some time! I don't currently have any in the house and if I do, they will be put up high.

wgoat5 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:32am
post #26 of 46

Well all I can say is welcome to hormones icon_smile.gif. My DD started this year also. 10 years old. In fact the month she started she went 1 month and then didn't start the next month...but started again the following month. She uses always...the nighttime kind. Because they aren't really good with them yet . DD changed hers every 2 hours because she just wanted to (yep very expensive LOL).

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Christi

mkerton Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:45pm
post #27 of 46

My Mom had the talk with us at probably 9 because she started at 10 and she thought she was dying....and we also carried a pad around when we got of a certain age....I was the youngest in my class so I started last, but I had just turned 12 so I think its pretty normal. I started wearing tampons probably 6-8 months after I started when a camping trip happened to fall on my time (imagine learning to use a tampon in a campground restroom)!

cookinnut Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:22pm
post #28 of 46

Always has their light flow pads that are just the right size, not too big and bulky but get the job done. Also if you have her move to tampons the Tampax Lites are pretty small. Our neice just turned 11 and started and her mom said she requested to go straight to a tampon which after about the 3rd time she let her. She said she just took her in and showed her the jist of it and apparently its been happy sailings since. The best part is that she is TOTALLY geeked about "becoming a woman" not because she has a period but that means she's "gonna get big boobs" LOL. Her words of course. Best of luck.

sarahnichole975 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 6:08pm
post #29 of 46

You know I think it's really good that it seems that many of us as mothers have a special relationship with our daughters that is different that previous generations. I mean my mother was a nurse and sat me down I guess around 10, and showed me things in her medical textbooks. It was great the way she did it. And thank goodness she did it because my grandmother raised me and wasn't no way she was going to. I know my mother told me when she started she had never been told anything about it by ANYONE and she got really scared and thought she was dying! I can only imagine. I really think the most important thing we can do for our children, and probably especially for our girls with everything they have to face, is keep a good line of communication open for them. I hope my Zoe always feels comfortable talking with me about whatever she needs to.

1nanette Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 1:26am
post #30 of 46

By the time I started my periods I had read Are You There God... and had seen all of the ABC after school specials and not to mention the health class film--Your Body And You. So I was ready for it. I cant remember if my mom and I ever talked prior to. I just remember her handing me that ridiculous belt and those giant pads that looked like they would dehydrate you.

darandon, I am familiar with the feeling of faulty safety pin. I visited my aunt in MS the summer of 77. My periods werent regular yet and I got a surprise visit from another aunt icon_wink.gif Well my real aunt told me to use safety pins and the next day we could go to a store. OUCH icon_eek.gif !!!

Looking back it seems so funny that all we had were uncomfortable belts, dangerous safety pins and adhesive that stuck to skin and hair better than undies. Today our choices are so much better. And if you take the right birth control pill you only get a period for Easter, 4th of July, Halloween and Christmas.

I have a 25 year old sis who thinks we were cave people until I told her what my moms generation had to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%