Sunset Effect????/

Decorating By Jillithan Updated 8 Oct 2007 , 12:50pm by bobwonderbuns

Jillithan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jillithan Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a luau cake tonight...and i'm really excited about it...white cake w/home made pineapple filling!! Yum...anyway. I want to do a hula girl on the top w/a sunset effect behind her....i'm going to make the sand graham cracker crumbs...which I think will be super cute, and I debated just making the sky blue...but the design in my head just has a sunset behind her....any suggestions???? I thought about using doing a pale yellow on the botom and kind of latering in the darker colors on top.....but I just don't know. I also thought about icing it all one color (yello, orange) and then adding some pinks and reds to some vodka to water it down and paint it on....any thoughts??????

5 replies
froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure if you're doing a 3-D type effect or not but I've done a sunset where I took 1/2 of the 3-D ball pan and put it on the end of a 11X15 cake pan to make it look like the sun was setting over the ocean. The ocean being the 11X15 cake. Does this make any sense? I'm not on my computer to put the pict as an attachement but if you go to
myspace.com/chasityscakes I'll put it as my default pict so you can see what I'm talking about. If you want to see more views of it you can click on my pict. link that is under the main pict. and then look under beaches and lakes album. Hope this helps.

tinabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinabee Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 6

I used Wilton color mist and got a great sunset effect. The cake is in my pics.

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 6

I looked and the stuff I painted on I was telling you about in the e-mail was Wilton Brush On Colors. It's different from the wilton fondant writer because it's more like a thin paint consistency whereas the fondant writer is more of a melted butter consistency. The stock number on the bottle is 610-922. HTH

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 6

I have used the Wilton spray colors to get a wonderful airspray effect. Just have to be careful not to let it splatter. (this sometimes happens) You can layer your colors with this too. Can't wait to see how it comes out. Good luck. icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 6

I'm really going to have to repost my tropical sunset cake -- it's not my favorite which is why I took it off to begin with. Anyway, I had a beach scene with a sunset behind it and palm trees... For the sunset I took a redish color frosting and made a ball (smeared a ball of this color with a spatula), went around it with orange frosting and tipped it with yellow. All the frosting was thin consistency. Then with a clean spatula, starting from the redish ball part I smeared outward and all the colors melded but didn't quite blend, much like a sunset. It was pretty cool actually! Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%