I Am Searching For A Recipe For Edible.....

Decorating By momvarden Updated 9 Feb 2017 , 9:28pm by CakeARTbyBeth

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 16

Rocks. I know that it is done with royal icing and than something else but what i just can't remember.

it is a chemical reaction i think. you have the royal icing in a pan and then pour the other stuff in the into it and cover it quickly and when it is done you have this end product that resembles a lava rock with all the holes in it. You add coloring to the icing before mixing the 2 parts together and that is the color you end up with. May be a little lighter.
The final product is also very hard. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT icon_confused.gif

At one time i had the recipe. i have moved sents i got it, and can't seem to find it.

I would like to make coral with it for a cake i have on the 18th.

15 replies
dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:11am
post #2 of 16

How cool that sounds! I wish I could help you out!

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:13am
post #3 of 16

Sorry, I have not heard of this.
I am interested in the recipe also if anyone out there has it.

aaversa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aaversa Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:26am
post #4 of 16

I've never done this with royal icing but I've used isomalt sugar and ice. You melt the isomalt (special kind of sugar) and then pour it over a bucket full of ice. The ice melts and the sugar hardens in the shape of coral. Maybe this will spark a memory for someone of how to do it with royal icing. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help icon_sad.gif

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:29am
post #5 of 16

Is this what you are looking for? It is from the NASA site:

Igneous Rock Pumice

1/4 cup water

1-1/2 cups sugar

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1 tablespoon of baking soda, sifted

In a medium-sized, deep heavy-duty saucepan, stir the water, sugar, and corn syrup together. Over medium-high heat, bring the mixture to a boil without stirring. Continue cooking until the sugar reaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit (°F) on the candy thermometer (hard crack stage). Remove the mixture from the heat. Add the baking soda all at once to the sugar mixture. Beat it for a few seconds until the baking soda is incorporated. Pour it onto a buttered baking sheet. Allow it to harden for about 20 minutes without touching or moving it. Cut the pumice into uneven ½-inch pieces. If you're not using it that day, store it in an airtight container at room temperature. It will last 1 - 2 days before it begins to lose its crunch.

Rock on!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:38am
post #6 of 16

Cool, I've gpt tp try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

momvarden Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:02am
post #7 of 16

Thank you, I am not sure but i can give it a try and see if it works. In the demo, the woman put it in a stock pot and said to not fill it to high or it would end up on the kitchen ceiling that is why you need to put the lid on it i think, d@^, d@^ why can't i find that recipe. icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

I am going to try this one. Thanks again.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:03am
post #8 of 16

Cool. I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:06am
post #9 of 16

Try searching for it in the forums. I know I have seen rocks on some cakes in the gallery.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 16

From a guy named McDuff

Rock Sugar:
Prepare a sugar solution with no glucose or acid. Boil the solution to 280° F. Shock the sugar in cold water. Add freshly made royal icing, made from fresh eggs. The icing should be well beaten with a lot of air in it. Add 1 tablespoon per pound of sugar, and stir it in quickly. The solution will foam, collapse, and them foam again. As it foams for the second time, pour it onto a parchment-lined sheet pan or slightly oiled surface.
It is the air in the egg whites that causes the sugar to foam. The sugar in the royal icing causes the sugar in the solution to crystallize, forming the ârocksâ which are used as decoration. If the solution already has crystals in it, it will not foam, but will merely get hard because the sugar in the solution will have already crystallized. The sugar can be colored, if desired. Or, to make the rick sugar whiter, add a small amount of blue food coloring to the cooking sugar.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 16

regarding
Igneous Rock Pumice
when i was little in italy
we would get this candy (with black coloring so that it looks like coal) in our stockings at christmass

it would leave a nice black streak on ur tongue and didnt taste half bad

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 16

put some royal icing in the microwave for a few seconds and it also turns into sugar rocks icon_smile.gif

momvarden Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 16

thank everyone for your help. I end up making it out of rice krispy treats loosely piled and sprayed it with my air brush. Ps my husband purchased it for me from store called harbor freight. I love it and its great for a beginner. It was less than 90.00 with the air brush and the compressor. You can see the pic in my photos i air brushed the silver tank and the coral.

someone else just asked the same question and the receipe that i was looking for showed up there.

Also i did try the receipe that allie73 put on and it is a good receipe but it did not do what i needed it to do. it was like a nice airy peanut brittle. (with out the peanuts) My husband wanted me to remake it and put peanuts in it. LOL So thank you all again.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:07am
post #14 of 16

SUGAR ROCK

1kg granulated sugar
250 ml cold water
RI about 135 gm

Melt sugar in the water over low temp. & boil to 280f / 138c
Remove from stove & immediately stir in the very well beaten royal icing.
Pour into shoe box or something similar, lined with well-greased wax paper or alfoil.
The mixture will bubble up to double its original volume.
Leave to cool & then break up into required sizes.
For coloured rocks, colour RI beforehand.
For sand & gravel, crush with rolling pin.

icon_biggrin.gif HTH

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:29pm
post #15 of 16

Thank you for the recipes! Can't wait to try them!

CakeARTbyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeARTbyBeth Posted 9 Feb 2017 , 9:28pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you for this!!  I haven't been able to find my recipe and was in frantic-mode!!!  You rock (hehe)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%