Icing For Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By shelbycompany Updated 5 Oct 2007 , 9:31pm by Luxe42

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 16

What kind of icing works and tastes beat with a red velvet cake? Also, is red velvet good to stack with?

Thanks for your advice!!

15 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 16

RV has a light cocoa flavor and is often iced with a cream cheese icing. Or, a 'baker's buttercream' that has a cooked flour base (see recipes)

As long as you level the cakes, it should stack fine.

rhiannon1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhiannon1979 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 16

I would think that Cream Cheese icing would go great with Red Velvet Cake. Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 16

I always use cream cheese icing for mine, I am doing a wedding cake this weekend that requires a red velvet tier and I am using Toba's Cream Cheese Buttercream recipe.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 16

Cream cheese for me, too. thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 16

I prefer the cooked "baker's buttercream" it just isn't the same without it. It's the way grandma always made it so who should mess with perfection?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 16

Leily is that the original icing for red velvet? If so can you direct me to the recipe?

Thank you (sorry for hi jacking)

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 16

I've ALWAYS had red velvet with cream cheese icing. It's the way my mom, grandma, and great grandma did it. They always add pecans in it, but I personally would rather have it with no nuts.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 16

Red velvet does has regional differences.

wgoat-here is a link to the Baker's Buttercream. It is very different, but very delicious.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2114-13-Bakers-Butter-Cream.html

leily Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Leily is that the original icing for red velvet? If so can you direct me to the recipe?

Thank you (sorry for hi jacking)

I don't know what is considered the "original icing" as you will be debating this up and down as much as what sizes is a half sheet cake.
But the recipe at this link is pretty close to what I use. HTH
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2259-19-Sarahs-Red-Velvet-Cake---a-tradition-of-excellence.html

wgoat5 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:04pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you all!!!! NOw for a great Red Velvet recipe LOL

wgoat5 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 16

Oops never mind one has a recipe LOL icon_smile.gif

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:17pm
post #13 of 16

This is my MIL's favorite cake. I just made her one for her birthday two weeks ago. She handed me her grandmother's recipe and told me to follow it to a T and not to change anything.

The cake came out nice but the icing was awful I thought. It's the baker's buttercream y'all are talking about. It was so thin it was almost a liquid. I told her I was adding extra sugar to it but it was still thin. Couldn't pipe or do anything with it.

Is this what that baker's buttercream does? I just can't imagine anybody really loving it - well except my MIL. The recipe didn't seem right to me but I did what she told me!

Wow I just kinda hijacked your thread, I apologize. I guess I'll just watch this thread and try to learn.

leily Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 16

Luxe, you are correct the baker's buttercream is not stiff enough to pipe anything with. I usually smooth it on and then use my decorators buttercream for any detail.

I have done the crusting cream cheese recipe on this cake before ( I don't care for it, but I grew up on the baker's buttercream) and some people liked it and the icing could also be used to decorate.

As for the icing, I dont' like it by itself, but oh my when it is on the cake... heaven for me!

HTH

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 5:31pm
post #15 of 16

I think red velvet cake doesn't taste good without CREAM CHEESE ICING!! MHO

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 9:31pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Luxe, you are correct the baker's buttercream is not stiff enough to pipe anything with. I usually smooth it on and then use my decorators buttercream for any detail.

I have done the crusting cream cheese recipe on this cake before ( I don't care for it, but I grew up on the baker's buttercream) and some people liked it and the icing could also be used to decorate.

As for the icing, I dont' like it by itself, but oh my when it is on the cake... heaven for me!

HTH

Thanks! Just making sure I wasn't messing up the recipe thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%