Tobas Fondant Rocks!

Decorating By onegr8girl Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 3:06am by babynewyear

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 38

Yesterday I attempted my first batch of scratch fondant. I used Toba's Fondant because I had a scratch fondant rant I had printed from another forum with really detailed instructions. It was super easy and my kitchen aid did most of the work. This morning I checked it and it had settled to virtually the same texture as the Pettinice that I normally used and it tasted better! I'm so excited. 2 lbs of scratch fondant cost me about $2.60 to make and 1.5 lbs of Pettinice costs 7.99!

I'm super excited and highly recommend it! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

37 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 38

I made some yesterday too and I have yet to play with it. When I tasted it last night I found it to be much sweeter than the Fondex I have been using, but very good and WORLDS better than wilton for sure! I plan on covering some dummy cakes with it.

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 38

I totally agree!! It's easy to make & tastes yummy!!!!

poohlegsofky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohlegsofky Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 38

Would you please share this recipe with the rest of us.

Thanks so much!!

onegr8girl Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 38
jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 38

I absolutely love Toba's fondant! I am always telling ppl to try it. I think it tastes great and I love the texture so much more than mmf. It just seems to melt in your mouth. I still use mmf for all my figures and so on, but when I cover a cake. I always use Toba's! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 38

So happy to hear you tried it! Once you make Toba's fondant there is no turning back!! It certainly DOES rock!!! thumbs_up.gif

When you start to work with it if it seems a bit to soft just knead in a bit more powdered sugar until you get it where you need it to be. It is so easy! And delicious!!

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 38

I think I'm going to try it today. Do you guys use the glycerin or leave it out?

onegr8girl Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 38

I used the glycerin, but took a tip from someone else. Instead of buying the Wilton glycerin, I bought a bigger container (more than twice the size) for less money in the pharmacy section at Target.

SweetRocky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetRocky Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 38

The thread to the recipe is helpful, thanks. In the introduction to the recipe it says no need to refrigerate as it keeps well on the counter, but the directions say to store in refrigerator...which is it? I'd like to try this one out!

jenbenjr Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 38

I've never used the glycerin and it turns out just fine.

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #12 of 38

That recipe is very similar to the one I use except mine doesn't have in any shortening. That's why I was always so confused when people said that fondant tasted nasty. I just couldn't understand it. I've read enough horror stories to gather that the Wilton stuff is disgusting but I have come across a few posts that bash fondant on the whole. Where I'm from commercially pre-packaged fondant is not available so you have to make it and it works out cheaper funny enough and is less trouble to me than marshmallow fondant... which I find is a pain in the rear.

jenbenjr Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRocky

The thread to the recipe is helpful, thanks. In the introduction to the recipe it says no need to refrigerate as it keeps well on the counter, but the directions say to store in refrigerator...which is it? I'd like to try this one out!

I was confused by this too. I have always just made sure it was well wrapped and let it rest on my counter.

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 38

Gr8 girl, how did you use your KA? Did you do all of the mixing or just kneading? Did you start with your paddle and change to dough hook? I've been able to mix my fondant fairly mess free by hand, so wondering if the KA is worth the clean up. What I do is sift my PS onto my stainless steel work top. Make a well. Pour in my liquid mixture. Using my spatula I fold the sugar into the liquid. Keep flipping it until it's become sort of like bisquit dough. then I start kneading by hand. I recently got a new 6 qt KA thinking it would be rugged enough for fondant. But now I'm wondering if there's a lot of clean up. I'd rather knead than clean. I'm also thinking about trying to double the recipe, see how that goes.

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:33pm
post #15 of 38

Can I hyjack this thread for a minute? I wanted to post a Toba's fondant question and saw this topic...

I have made Toba's fondant and I like the taste of it but it's very, very, very, very, very (keep going?) sticky. And I can't get rid of the sticky no matter what I do! I've added more sugar. I've kneaded in crisco. I've let it sit. When I think I finally got it, it's sticky again and I can't work with it. I'm very frustrated with it and I want to just toss it but I can't make myself do it.

So I had a thought, I would like to try poured fondant. Do you think I can melt/cook down the fondant that I already made to make it pourable???

If you think I can save the fondant as I have it now - ready to roll, just sticky - PLEASE give me some tips!

Thanks very much!!!

jenbenjr Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:42pm
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenWith

Can I hyjack this thread for a minute? I wanted to post a Toba's fondant question and saw this topic...

I have made Toba's fondant and I like the taste of it but it's very, very, very, very, very (keep going?) sticky. And I can't get rid of the sticky no matter what I do! I've added more sugar. I've kneaded in crisco. I've let it sit. When I think I finally got it, it's sticky again and I can't work with it. I'm very frustrated with it and I want to just toss it but I can't make myself do it.

So I had a thought, I would like to try poured fondant. Do you think I can melt/cook down the fondant that I already made to make it pourable???

If you think I can save the fondant as I have it now - ready to roll, just sticky - PLEASE give me some tips!

Thanks very much!!!

It can seem very sticky, just keep kneading the the ps and then grease your hands and work table generously. I also make sure the saran wrap I put it in is greased as it sits. You can save it!

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:54pm
post #17 of 38

If you use the right amount of PS...and that can change each time you make fondant due to the humidity...it won't be sticky. I also add a fair amount of Crisco, little bits at a time.

Although I keep a 20 pound bucket of Satin Ice on hand and LOVE it...Toba's recipe is so much cheaper that I make it most of the time.

JenWith Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #18 of 38

I will try to save it. I ended up getting Satin Ice because I didn't have the time to mess with the fondant that I made and I'm really happy with the results that I got using it.

What about melting it down to make poured fondant? No? If I can't get it to work rolled and if I can't melt it down to make poured fondant, it is going in the trash!

Teekakes Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:30pm
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbenjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRocky

I was confused by this too. I have always just made sure it was well wrapped and let it rest on my counter.

No need to ever keep it in the fridge. I have been using this recipe for a while now and have had pieces left over from batches that were 1 to 2 months old and it is still fine. It does lose some of that super fresh flavor over time but certainly nothing to worry about. Mine is double wrapped in plastic film then placed in a gallon size ziploc bag which is then kept inside my KA bowl.

As far as glycerin goes, I have always used it.

I agree with JenBen on how to work with the stickyness problem. Between the ps and shortening you should come up with beautiful fondant every time. Hang in there, you will get it figured out with a little more effort. thumbs_up.gif

Teekakes Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:33pm
post #20 of 38
Quote:

I will try to save it. I ended up getting Satin Ice because I didn't have the time to mess with the fondant that I made and I'm really happy with the results that I got using it.

What about melting it down to make poured fondant? No? If I can't get it to work rolled and if I can't melt it down to make poured fondant, it is going in the trash!

I don't know if you could melt it down or not. Try melting down a small piece of it and pouring it over a small cube of bread or ??? to see how it works. I have some made up but am decorating cakes today so don't have time to mess with it until probably the weekend. If you try it let us know how it works, please. icon_smile.gif

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:59pm
post #21 of 38

Onegr8girl,

Could you please be specific about how you used your kitchen aid mixer, please. I would like to try to make this without much kneeding if possible...

Thanks!
Pat

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:30pm
post #22 of 38

I use Wilton because it is easily available and cheap $10 with the 50% off coupon. But hate the taste so I add alot of flavoring which does help. I tried making several kinds and it just doesn't seem to be as nice as store bought. I made Tobas the other day and I liked it at first but I coulcn't get it to mold together when I tried to make an animal it separated alot. I took some out that I made about 3 weeks ago and it just crumbled all over and I couldn't get it to become smooth. When I made MMF it was fine if I first used it and I only covered my doctor coat with it but it wanted to tear away from the edges. I don't know what I'm doing wrong any suggestions.

JenWith Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:32pm
post #23 of 38

I will try to save it. And I will also try to cook some down and see what I get. If I remember correctly, it was a humid day when I made the fondant and I was just so irritated with it that I wrapped it up and put it in the fridge.

thanks for all the help!

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:50pm
post #24 of 38

Thanks for sharing! I'm gonna try it this weekend!

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:26pm
post #25 of 38

Amen thumbs_up.gif

Toba's fondant is awesome and inexpensive to make.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:47pm
post #26 of 38

I tried it last night and also found that it was very sticky at first and it seemed as if it wouldn't take anymore PS. I just kept kneading it and finally wrapped it. I guess I'll see how it comes out today when I try to use it.

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:50pm
post #27 of 38
Quote:

Thanks very much!!!

I have had this happen to me as well and had this same thought. I saw on Louise's cakejournal.com where she shows how she does her poured fondant cupcakes. She uses a fondant that is melted down, but I think she said that she buys it and that it is made for that purpose. If you try it, please let us know how it works!

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 4:16pm
post #28 of 38

I need to make a snow white cake. Can I use Toba's fondant for the skirt or does anyone think it will give me problems? I don't mind trying something that's good, yet inexpensive.

Teekakes Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 4:19pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife1

I need to make a snow white cake. Can I use Toba's fondant for the skirt or does anyone think it will give me problems? I don't mind trying something that's good, yet inexpensive.

Recently I made a Barbie cake, you can see it in my photos, and I used Toba's recipe for all of the fondant work. I had no problems with making the dress at all.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your Snow White Cake! icon_smile.gif

JenWith Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 6:11pm
post #30 of 38

jen9936-
That's exactly what I want to try the poured fondant on. Cupcakes. I baked cupcakes to make those very cute monsters and I figured I would do some in the poured fondant.

Guess I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%