We Need To Charge More - Williams Sonoma Catalog!

Decorating By imartsy Updated 17 Dec 2006 , 10:13pm by nglez09

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 41

Looks like we need to start charging more! icon_smile.gif Look at the prices on these cakes!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku8522203/index.cfm?pkey=cFODYUMI&cm%5Fsrc=None

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku7026909/index.cfm?pkey=cFODYUMI&cm%5Fsrc=None

I just know a lot of us aren't charging THAT much! And that's BEFORE shipping! And shipping is expensive b/c it has to be overnight or something - I think shipping adds around $30.00 at least!!! Show this to your customers next time they complain about prices!

Granted these cakes are beautiful and sound delicious - I just think it shows we need to charge more for our similar creations!

40 replies
Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 41

$99 - serves 4-6 ???? My, that's steep!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 41

But do they really sell very many??

kellykake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellykake Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 41

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw these prices! Definitely not in my budget!

mysonshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonshines Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 41

Wow! You're right- that helps with my pricing issues!

imartsy Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 41

It would be interesting to know how many they sell - kind hard to find that information though I would think - not sure they'd just give that info. to you..... wish we could know! AND from where is it being ordered?? B/c if it's being ordered in one of our areas - we need to advertise better to let customers know they can have that kind of cake w/out paying for shipping!

BTW - the daisies on the purse cake - do you think that's some kind of mold or something? I really like them.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 41

Oh Wow!!! I can't believe the prices!!! And did you see this cookies!
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/fd406_1/index.cfm?pkey=cFODNEWI&cm%5Fsrc=None
I guess with a name like Williams-Sonoma they can charge whatever they want but OMG! Too much! I wonder how many they sell... And in the other hand, they are NOT custome made, I mean, they are pretty but made in bulk! Something to think about, thanks for the links!

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 41

I think the prices are great. It is not cheap to make, market, recoup cost of equipment,and supplies, build a following in a name in todays marketplace. The only way to make a profit is to price so that it covers these costs plus.
If you product is good. Prices such as these are realistic.

imartsy Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincanbaby

I think the prices are great. It is not cheap to make, market, recoup cost of equipment,and supplies, build a following in a name in todays marketplace. The only way to make a profit is to price so that it covers these costs plus.
If you product is good. Prices such as these are realistic.

You're absolutely right that it costs a lot of money to make cakes with ingredients, equipment, advertising, etc..... but for people who bake at home or even for a lot of bakers who have actual licensed kitchens we have a hard time charging people these types of prices. People just don't seem to value cake that much and a lot of people expect every cake to be 10x better than Wal-mart prices but still COST Wal-mart prices! Here's a little reality check for some people I guess icon_smile.gif It's more I guess if someone complains about your prices to say -"hey, if you feel more comfortable, Williams & Sonoma sells a cake like this for $_____ - you can order from there and pay the shipping, or you can order from me at my price and save some money on the cake cost and shipping cost."

And I think all of our products are usually "good" - even great - but we don't always get away with charging enough to even cover our costs sometimes simply b/c we can't find people who will pay it - but obviously there is a market out there somewhere that isn't being reached by local bakers if Williams & Sonoma is selling cakes out of their catalog.... and maybe that market isn't being reached simply b/c bakers/decorators aren't advertising these types of cakes - and these types of cakes must be what a lot of people want b/c they've been put in the magazine for sale and I don't think Williams & Sonoma would put cakes in there they knew very few people would buy - they gotta cover their own costs too. Perhaps that's what's going on - b/c it's the Williams & Sonoma name, they can get a higher price - I don't know that the actual baker/decorator is getting paid that same price for said cakes.

Finally, I think we all try to price our cakes realistically - but realistically sometimes people in our area market won't pay what the cakes are actually worth - so we do what we can on pricing. Anyway I just posted this to help others realize that the same kinds of cakes they are making are worth much more than they're probably charging and they should try to raise their prices icon_smile.gif Now that they have something to show their customers to compare thier prices to - it might help icon_smile.gif

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 41

Wow! Those cakes are pretty. And for over $100 with shipping, they'd better taste amazing, too! icon_smile.gif

It does make you wonder how many they sell, though. I'm wondering how well they'd ship? If they'd arrive as beautifully put together as they were made.

Guess they'd better for that price!

--Knox--

annamata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annamata Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 41

I was amazed at the prices, but hey that business and most people probably have my same reaction.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 41

They are steep...but have you seen the cakes on the Neiman Marcus catalog / website. THOSE ARE NUTS!

knoxcop1 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 41

OH. MY. MAUDE.

LOOK icon_eek.gif AT THE SIZE OF THOSE CAKES. THAT'S WHY THEY SHIP SO WELL---THERE'S NO SIZE TO THEM--NO WEIGHT!!

So, by that measure--one of our purse cakes should (or would) be priced at like $400-$500! icon_rolleyes.gif

Whew!

*Off to apply for baker's position commissioned through Williams-Sonoma*

--Knox--

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:24pm
post #14 of 41

you're paying that price because you're paying for the bragging rights..

I mean..c'mon...isn't it tonier to say....I got you a cake from WILLIAM'S SONOMA than ...Hey, I got you a cake from a local stay at home baker!!

sorry but that's the fact's ma'am...and just because William's Sonoma states their products are made with the finests ingredients..

Well, HULLOOOOO...I'm not digging in my Kitty's litter box for mine!!!

We... have 2 choices....copy the cakes...place our photo and price next to a photo and price of their picture and stop our customers from Witchin' and Moaning about our prices...

or

Inundate the market with that VERY same purse or whatever cake at our cheap A$$ed prices....

and let's see what happens!

CAKE REVOLUTION ANYONE? lol

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 41

I'll get my spatula...I'm in on the cake revolution!

imartsy Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:45pm
post #16 of 41

I haven't had a chance to do either type of cake yet so I'll join the revolution as soon as I can icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:55pm
post #17 of 41

RisqueBusiness wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

We... have 2 choices....copy the cakes...place our photo and price next to a photo and price of their picture and stop out customers from Witchin' and Moaning about our prices...

How did ya guess my secret to getting my prices, besides telling them that I am very expensive. icon_biggrin.gif

This summer, I created a clay pot with flowers similar to the one that I posted in my gallery. The women that ordered it complained about the price until I showed her the WS clay pot cake. She swallowed her words when she seen how Small and Expensive WS cake was compared to mine and was happy to place the order afterwords.

Recently, I have included any ad's I find right into my portfolio next to my piece so when they browse they see the cost upfront and do not complain about my prices any longer.

Matter of fact I hear that some tend to brag to each other now........so odd bragging how much something costs........ icon_rolleyes.gif

whimsette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsette Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 4:16pm
post #18 of 41

My understanding is that Williams-Sonoma outsources all of their cookies and cakes. When you buy a cake from their catalog, it's sent directly from their supplier. So, what you're really paying for is the cost of the cake from the baker plus all of the expense WS has incurred to put it in the catalog (plus overnight shipping). Since most of us aren't producing 50 million full-color catalogs each year, we can offer more reasonable rates for our products. Kudos to anyone who can get their goods into the WS catalog. I understand it's a monumental task.

RisqueBusiness Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 4:24pm
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsette

My understanding is that Williams-Sonoma outsources all of their cookies and cakes. When you buy a cake from their catalog, it's sent directly from their supplier. So, what you're really paying for is the cost of the cake from the baker plus all of the expense WS has incurred to put it in the catalog (plus overnight shipping). Since most of us aren't producing 50 million full-color catalogs each year, we can offer more reasonable rates for our products. Kudos to anyone who can get their goods into the WS catalog. I understand it's a monumental task.

it is to be picked...what you do is contact that particular department and put on a dog and pony show for them

The best part is when they come LOOKING FOR YOU! now that is something worth swooning over!!!

( hear me panting!?? lol pick me pick me!! lol)

I feel like odering a cake just to see how they pack it..lol

imartsy Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 4:42pm
post #20 of 41

Risquebusiness - if you do let us know! I'd like to know how they pack them too!

And yes it is quite an honor to be chosen by Williams & Sonoma to be in the catalog - so kudos to the bakers/decorators!

(isn't kudos a funny word? - just thinking "out loud") icon_razz.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 5:09pm
post #21 of 41

Kudos sounds like a cereal brand to me Imartsy.

BTW RisqueBusiness if you do order one I would love to know how they pack it also! And oh I would just die simply die if they came looking for me........

RisqueBusiness Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 5:24pm
post #22 of 41

I can do this, and since it's part of "research" I can eat my cake and write it off too!

lol.

I'm seriously thinking of doing it..don't need to push me too hard to do things like this..lol

I would LOVE to come back, if I do and post pics of the packing and such...but everytime I try to attach pics to a thread they are rejected as too large !!!

Harumph!!!

nefgaby Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 6:06pm
post #23 of 41

I'm curious to know about the taste too... they better be tasty! Let us know if you do Risque!
And to make the pictures smaller, your camera should have an e-mail setting, take the pics with this setting and even though the resolution is not the best they are fast to up-load. Talk soon!

RisqueBusiness Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 6:12pm
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

I'm curious to know about the taste too... they better be tasty! Let us know if you do Risque!
And to make the pictures smaller, your camera should have an e-mail setting, take the pics with this setting and even though the resolution is not the best they are fast to up-load. Talk soon!

no..lol my camera is not that advanced!!! I will just have to fiddle around with my photo edit programs or add it to the list of 100 things I've asked my son to do...

but..I'm pretty sure that I will, just for research purposes ya un derstand..lol

knoxcop1 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 6:25pm
post #25 of 41

Wow. Yeah.

They've been mentioned by Oprah. 'Nuff said? Now they're in with Grandin Road, and Williams-Sonoma and (others.)

So--needless to say, this lil' ol' Napa Valley bakery is now hiring!! lol

Their website is under construction. Probably too many hits.

Risque: If you do order, please post your results and a "Risque Review" for our internet viewing pleasure! icon_biggrin.gif

*sashays off to dream of the big time...*

--Knox--

whimsette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsette Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 6:28pm
post #26 of 41

RisqueB: If you post pics, I'll donate $5.00 to the cause. I'd like to know, too. icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 7:12pm
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsette

RisqueB: If you post pics, I'll donate $5.00 to the cause. I'd like to know, too. icon_smile.gif

What a great idea... I can help too!! Do you have a PayPal account?
And how funny, about your camera... icon_lol.gif I thought all cameras had that setting. icon_redface.gif

RisqueBusiness Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 7:46pm
post #28 of 41

those of you willing to donate to the cause...save it and spend it on secret santa...I can write off my purchase !! lol

That's one of the MANY WONDERFUL things about being a legal baker..tee hee..

I can even go to a restaurant and have a meal and write it off ...as long as I have dessert!

woohoo..gotta love the system sometimes!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 8:10pm
post #29 of 41

Risque you can email any of us to get the pictures CC-sized. We wanna know!

I'd love to ship a small cake like the 2nd one to my gramma, so shipping ideas are a priority.

imartsy Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 8:41pm
post #30 of 41

Ooh and Risque, send us all a little piece too icon_smile.gif You can't eat that whole cake by yourself, right? icon_lol.gif just joking! It does sound yummy though - I haven't had anyone else's cake in awhile..... just my own icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%