How Do You Make Mmf Not Look So Dry...

Decorating By branbrielliott2 Updated 5 Oct 2007 , 1:18pm by Danielle111

branbrielliott2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
branbrielliott2 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:41am
post #1 of 11

I have been practicing for this weekend..doing a barbie cake..but it just looks so dry....should I put more crisco on my hands and knead more to give it a shine....I am going to have it just sit out in the open the night before the party and I really dont want it to look that dry....any special way to let it sit...MMF gets really hard over night also... For some reason I thought it wouldnt be that hard....its almost like you have to remove it from the cake before you even cut.....any tips please let me know I am at a lost.....thanks

10 replies
chef_ang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chef_ang Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:55am
post #2 of 11

I would love to help you. but i don't know what mmf stands for. I can not think of what that would be. I am new to the community and learning all the abbreveations. but i have been in the cake business for like 7years.

what is MMF?

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 11

MMF stands for marshmallow fondant.

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 11

Roll it out on crisco instead of powder.

Before it gets too dry, you could put a bit of crisco on your palm and sort of polish it.

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 11

Use crisco when kneading it that will help.

MMF= marshmallow fondant.

HTH
(hope this helps)

Katrinagarrett1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katrinagarrett1980 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 11

I used Rhonda's ultimate MMF Recipe... mine did not harden overnight, but I would also like to know how to make it shinier.

I will try just rubbing with crisco lightly. I don't know if it will work...but if it does I will let you know.

Katrina

LvMy4Runner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LvMy4Runner Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 11

HI there! In the past once I have the cake covered, I will take a small amount of crisco and wipe it all over the fondant to give it a nice shine. Check out my Superman and Batman cakes under my pictures and you'll see I did that on the Capes.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_220523.html - Superman

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_220503.html - Batman

OR you can make it shimmery by using Luster or Pearl dust...

Good luck!

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:04pm
post #8 of 11

chef_ang - it sounds like you are adding too much powdered sugar to your MMF. It should eventually dry out, but definitely not overnight on an iced cake. Adding a little more crisco may also help. Also, if you want the finished product to have a shine, you can brush it with piping gel thinned with water. Just use a large brush, and only go over the area once, or it will start to look pasty and pull at the fondant. I hope this helps!

Danielle111 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:07pm
post #9 of 11

Oops - sorry, that was meant to be directed at branbrielliott2... icon_redface.gif

branbrielliott2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
branbrielliott2 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks so much but how do you cover a fondant cake..if its tall like a barbie cake.....Again Thanks so much.

Danielle111 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:18pm
post #11 of 11

Here's the link to the tutorial on this site...

http://www.cakecentral.com/article22-How-To-Cover-Your-Cake-in-Fondant.html

It doesn't go over how to cover different shapes, but it's all still the same principal. When you're covering a weird shape, though, work quickly and make sure to trim the excess as you go along. If you have too much excess weight (on any shape cake, really), your fondant will pull and tear.

I still have yet to try a really tall cake - my next project is going to entail covering a tapered tier 10" high. I'll probably have to do it 4-5 times in order to get it right. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%