Standing Letters And Numbers

Decorating By Stephiekitten Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 5:38pm by BJ

Stephiekitten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephiekitten Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:00am
post #1 of 8

Okay, so I want to Make a big letter or number and have that as a cake topper, but I'm not sure what to make it out of. I want it to hold itself up and be sorta flat on both sides. I would love if it were edible and tasty at that, so pastilliage is out of the question, plus it's yucky and I don't like making it. Fondant is too soft and I've never made gumpaste or marzipan but I imagine they are also too soft, so I was thinking a chocolate mold. What do you all think???

7 replies
karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 8

I've made mine out of gumpaste. As long as you allow enough time to dry, it works well. The last cake in my gallery has a handmade monogram topper.

MFitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MFitz Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 8

KarenSue-

How do you attach/stand/stabalize the letter ontop of the cake?

Thanks!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 8

I make my monograms out of colorflow. Check my pix, the golden heart monogram is an example of this. For a standing monogram, flow it flat first, let dry 24-48 hours, then flip over and reflow it on the back side for added stability. Gild both sides and there you have it. (Just make sure to make extras to alot for breakage.) Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 8

i made standing letters for a cake once (they were fairly small, though) out of chocolate. i printed out (backwards) what i wanted it to say, then piped chocolate over the backwards letters and worked it like a frozen transfer.
LL

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 8

I used royal icing. I made the letter from a site I found on monongrams. Traced it onto parchment paper. Piped royal icing over the design and put a toothpick into the letter and let it dry over night. You can't see them that well, but they are in the pics for my black and white wedding cake. The letters are on top of the satelite cakes.

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 8

I use a fairly heavy guage wire --the white covered ones. I make the letters thick enough that I can stick the wire in at least half way to top, more if I can. I have found that if you make the letters at least 1/4" to 3/8" thick, they are more sturdy. And the more delicate the font you choose, the more delicate your final product will be. I've had a few break, so always make an extra.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 8

I would recommend either gumpaste or colorflow - either will dry hard. I'd also recommend a lolipop stick to make it stand upright. Once items are dry (using either method) - place the stick on the backside of the item and use royal (or leftover colorflow) icing and attach the stick to the item. Let it dry completely and then just stick it in the cake so the letter is standing upright. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%