How To Make Flat Polka Dots W/ Buttercream

Decorating By jjmoore Updated 8 Oct 2007 , 2:50am by sarahnichole975

jjmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjmoore Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 3:47am
post #1 of 13

I have seen a couple of all buttercreme cakes with polka dots that are very round and flat and I would love to know the technique on how to achieve this look.

12 replies
ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 4:06am
post #2 of 13

I use either a finger dipped in PS or a wet paintbrush to smooth them over.

HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 4:09am
post #3 of 13

There's usually a description of the cake under the picture - does it say the dots are b/c?

You could pm or email the posters of the cakes you like. icon_smile.gif

Most CC members are very willing to help.

Alternately, posting a link to the photo would enable us to see what you're talking about.

Some b/c cakes have fondant dots:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=30464

HTH

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 4:16am
post #4 of 13

if it were me, i would try mini FBCTs. just 'draw' the polka dots on wax paper taped to a cutting board and freeze them. after they're frozen solid, pick them up off the wax paper and place them on the cake. (maybe a dot of BC on the cake where you'll place them, especially if you put them on the sides. when i made my first FBCT, i was amazed how solid it got and easy it was to work with.

now, there may very well be an easier way to do this, but i am very much an amateur, and always 'improvise' in any way i can, and this is what i would do!

*you should see me in the kitchen... i'm a total putz!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:59am
post #5 of 13

Very simple technique icon_smile.gif ... use the tip size you would like squeeze a dot of icing (keep tip close to dot even touching)let off pressure before taking tip away ...pull away to the side....let crust and then use your finger...dipped in a little bit of ps icon_biggrin.gif

HTH's icon_smile.gif

Have a wonderful day!

applemint_jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
applemint_jackie Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 10:10am
post #6 of 13

pls, may i, what is ps? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 10:20am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki1201

if it were me, i would try mini FBCTs. just 'draw' the polka dots on wax paper taped to a cutting board and freeze them. after they're frozen solid, pick them up off the wax paper and place them on the cake. (maybe a dot of BC on the cake where you'll place them, especially if you put them on the sides. when i made my first FBCT, i was amazed how solid it got and easy it was to work with.

now, there may very well be an easier way to do this, but i am very much an amateur, and always 'improvise' in any way i can, and this is what i would do!

*you should see me in the kitchen... i'm a total putz!

Great idea!!! I have to try this one this weekend!

Oh applemintjackie-PS is Powdered Sugar.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 10:21am
post #8 of 13

I'm assuming powdered sugar....
corn starch also works -almost the same as the sugar but a little less sticky if damp icon_smile.gif

JanetPlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetPlanet Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 10:49am
post #9 of 13

Use this Rolled BC recipe that is popular on cookies ~ you color and roll it just like fondant. You can use the back end of your icing tip as a "cookie cutter" to make your dots the same size.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-Rolled-Buttercream-Icing-Recipe.html

Good luck!

Katrinagarrett1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katrinagarrett1980 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 13

I put fondant circles on my buttercream for my son's birthday. The only thing I made sure to do was either put the fresh cut fondant circles on the cake right away, or it they dried make sure they dried with a curved surface so that they fit really well to the shape of the round cake.

Anyways..I am new at this sooo this may not be the best way, but it worked for me.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 3:55am
post #11 of 13

You can take a #5 tip or something similar and do the outline of the dot then fill it in with the buttercream using lines or something. You can use a knife dipped in hot water to then smooth it over. I did this once with a pawprint and it came out perfect.

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 12:38am
post #12 of 13

The polka dots on my Mickey Mouse cake in my pics is BC. I just pipe them, let them crust and push down with my finger. I usually don't even need to dip my finger in PS. I did the same with my RI polka dots, too

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:50am
post #13 of 13

I've smoothed buttercream dots and pictures before with a viva towel. I just take it and fold it up until I get a pad, and then with the smooth folded surface, I pat them smooth. Works nicely. Be sure and let them crust first though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%